Reducing Static Electricty Around Turntable

Perhaps the air is too dry...

Kyleschwartztransparent.png

I was having the same problem. If you live in an apartment and have had the heat on too much lately this could be a potential cause. Invest in a humidifier or make shift something to see if that fixes the problem. It also helps to put a mat over the floor if your setup is over a carpeted area. 

I've always wanted a zero stat, but I can't convince myself to spend $100 on it.  Here's a DIY ionizer you can make from a cheap piezoelectric lighter.  Haven't tried it yet, but it seems relatively easy.

http://www.fovegraphy.com/IonizerE.php

Otherwise, cleaning your records with a wet solution will help, as will a cheap anti-static brush and storing them in mofi inner sleeves or something similar: http://www.sleevecityusa.com/12-inch-inner-record-sleeves-s/1879.htm

The Zero stat gun works amazingly and perfectly well.  I get a nasty static shock from my platter quite often if I DON'T use it.  Once I use it, no more zaps from the table.

I use the Audioquest carbon fiber brush, and though it does a great job of cleaning any dust before play, it doesn't seem to take care of those static zaps.  I really think I'm going to try that Mapleshade brush as I've read good things about it.  Also has a nice big handle to hold while cleaning instead of using two fingers around the Audioquest brush.

• 4 weeks later...

anyone have experience with an anti-static slip mat? like this one? http://www.sleevecityusa.com/Anti-Static-Turntable-Mat-with-Strobe-Pattern-60-p/dm-300.htm

at the price, i wanted to try it out, but they said it'll probably be backordered for 4-6 weeks. so if anyone has a specific recommendation, i'm all ears.

did you pick one of these up? i've been scouring the web trying to find some sort of review. all i can find is this: http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/vinyl/messages/80/802860.html from 2008.

anyone have experience with an anti-static slip mat? like this one? http://www.sleevecityusa.com/Anti-Static-Turntable-Mat-with-Strobe-Pattern-60-p/dm-300.htm

at the price, i wanted to try it out, but they said it'll probably be backordered for 4-6 weeks. so if anyone has a specific recommendation, i'm all ears.

DO NOT BUY THIS SLIP MAT!

Sorry I got so excited, but I bought it & it was actually worse than the felt mat it was supposed to replace. Not only did it cling hard to the records, it also left a shit-ton of white fibers when I was finally able to peel it off of them. Sleeve City ended up just giving me a refund when I asked to return it.

Audioquest Carbon Fiber brush or the Milty. Those are your best options. Obviously cleaning with a vacuum cleaning system helps as well, but if you don't want to spend $100, you won't want to spend $500 on a cleaning machine.

The Audioquest does end up working better for anti static purposes if you are touching a metal surface with your other hand.

Audioquest Carbon Fiber brush or the Milty. Those are your best options. Obviously cleaning with a vacuum cleaning system helps as well, but if you don't want to spend $100, you won't want to spend $500 on a cleaning machine.

The Audioquest does end up working better for anti static purposes if you are touching a metal surface with your other hand.

i have the audioquest and haven't felt it has helped much at all unfortunately.

DO NOT BUY THIS SLIP MAT!

Sorry I got so excited, but I bought it & it was actually worse than the felt mat it was supposed to replace. Not only did it cling hard to the records, it also left a shit-ton of white fibers when I was finally able to peel it off of them. Sleeve City ended up just giving me a refund when I asked to return it.

thanks for the tip!

Edit: http://www.amazon.com/Phonograph-Turntable-Record-Player-Static/product-reviews/B005KR7EK2/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1 these are the reviews i found. someone mentioned what yuo have to do so it doesn't shed. also, apparently there's a US version and a EU version that don't work the other way around. it seems like it could help. and $15 isn't much to blow. we'll see... i'm really considering the zero stat. the amount of static electricity on my table right now is INSANE.

did you pick one of these up? i've been scouring the web trying to find some sort of review. all i can find is this: http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/vinyl/messages/80/802860.html from 2008.

I did get one. It came in earlier this week and Ive only had the opportunity to use it on a few records. Bristles are very very soft. Hasnt left a mark on any of my records when applying low to med pressured brush strokes. Ive been using it in combo with my "in the groove" record cleaner (which adds static to records unfortunately but is excellent at getting all surface dust and hairs off) and it seems to work pretty well. Though before I give a final go ahead judgement on the mapleshade brush, Id like to combo it with a wet clean first as I cannot determine yet how effective it is at getting dust out from in between the grooves. Id suspect it basically has the same effectiveness as a carbon fiber brush in that regard.

I dont have a zero-stat to compare it to, so the extent to which it gets rid of static in comparison, I cannot determine either. From the eyeball test, i dont feel static on my records, nor hear it through my stylus as I remove and put them onto my records.

Ill update further when I get a chance to combo it with a wet clean.

Another thing I was thinking about trying was a clothes steamer (like one you can buy for cheap at Target or something). Everytime I use it on my clothes, any static cling i had before goes away.

Maybe this is a question for our resident chemist, when water turns to steam, does it lose much of its additive impurities (i.e. could I try this with tap water, or do I need to steam it with lab grade distilled?).

Now as far as the heat of the steam is concerned, Ive read up on people using steam as a record cleaning method and have not read a reported issue of warping as a result, though my guess is you would need to figure out a technique as to not introduce steam to your labels.

Im sure steaming records isnt a very efficient way to get rid of static but its cheap, especially when you may already have one lying around the house.

As with any record cleaning experiment, ALWAYS test your records on any cheap bargain bin records you have lying around. If you dont have any, buy a couple at your local record store to use as test records.

Another thing I was thinking about trying was a clothes steamer (like one you can buy for cheap at Target or something). Everytime I use it on my clothes, any static cling i had before goes away.

Maybe this is a question for our resident chemist, when water turns to steam, does it lose much of its additive impurities (i.e. could I try this with tap water, or do I need to steam it with lab grade distilled?).

Im sure steaming records isnt a very efficient way to get rid of static but its cheap, especially when you may already have one lying around the house.

Does anyone else find this to be a bad idea?

Does anyone else find this to be a bad idea?

Have you tried it? From what I read steam only gets up to 140 degrees farenheight, which will not damage your records if used properly. Give it a test on some crappy bargain bin records. Mapleshade actually sells a steam cleaning record product that they give a money back guarantee that their cleaning method works even better than a vacuum cleaner.

Steamed water is how distilled water is made. So yes there will be less junk in it. I have heard many people using a steamer before and I've always thought it was crazy. Only wet methods to clean should be used with a vacuum type system. As wetness can cause molding.

I dont think its too crazy. Its not like youre isolating one area of your record for long periods of time. Im gonna give it a shot. My wife has a hand-held clothes steamer which would be perfect to test things out on. Ill probably dry whatever is left over with a microfiber cloth and see if the static disappears.

Hell, whats there to lose? Ive got 100 throw-away records that are worth little to nothing in value that I can test this out on. Im sure most people have these types of records lying around too.