Reducing Static Electricty Around Turntable

I dont think its too crazy. Its not like youre isolating one area of your record for long periods of time. Im gonna give it a shot. My wife has a hand-held clothes steamer which would be perfect to test things out on. Ill probably dry whatever is left over with a microfiber cloth and see if the static disappears.

Hell, whats there to lose? Ive got 100 throw-away records that are worth little to nothing in value that I can test this out on. Im sure most people have these types of records lying around too.

We aren't saying its a bad idea due to heat. It's a bad idea because you should never use liquid on your records unless you have a vacuum to clean it ALL out.

Or...don't add liquid to your record that you can't vacuum up with a record cleaning machine. I'm sorry...there's nothing you could say to change my mind on the topic.

TBH, you're not the one with the question so I really dont have to satisfy your opinion. Youve already got your techniques which is awesome (Id love to own a vacuum someday myself), Ill let the rest here with this problem know how the steamer works at getting rid of static. If you dont like adding liquid to a record without a vacuum, buy a vacuum, do a wet clean and youll never have an issue with static anyways.

If you're looking to remove static on the cheap and dont mind adding a very small amount of distilled steam to your record before wiping it off with a microfiber cloth, this appears to at least be an interesting option.

Outside of wet cleaning, the best thing I've found to reduce static is the Rek-O-Kut Dust Bug. It can be ordered here:

http://www.esotericsound.com/access.htm about halfway down the page.

$22 plus shipping

Once it is dialed in, it tracks pretty closely with the stylus path so it is always cleaning the area of the record right in front of the stylus. It also has a ground wire that does a great job of dissipating static. I had a very staticky copy of Master of Puppets and when I played it while using a Dust Bug, there was barely a tic or pop.