The Ska Thread

rudeboydh

Let's talk about ska.  Favorite bands?  Records?  Any represses you'd like to see, or anything you'd like to see pressed that's never been on vinyl?  Any new releases you're looking forward to?  Any new bands people are getting excited about? 

So far it looks like it's going to be a good year for ska.  Sammy Kay's new album is comming out in the next few months, Deal's Gone Bad, the Slackers and the Resignators should have new albums out this year, and I'm sure there's more comming that I haven't mentioned or don't know about.

I actually just put out a ska record. boshkungrecords.storenvy.com. The record is on spotify/bandcamp. They're a band out of NJ, and they are amazing live!

Cool, I'll have to check that out when I get home from work!

id be pumped to see "turn the radio off" by reel big fish get pressed.

or maybe some represses for Desmond Dekker 

And do you mean, Desmond Dekker the artist?  Or the Desmond Dekker 7" by the Mighty Mighty Bosstones?  Cause both would be pretty awesome.

Cool, I'll have to check that out when I get home from work!

And do you mean, Desmond Dekker the artist?  Or the Desmond Dekker 7" by the Mighty Mighty Bosstones?  Cause both would be pretty awesome.

Awesome man let me know what you think! To save you the trouble of searching here's the bandcamp link http://nosuchnoise.bandcamp.com/album/life-goes-on

Also, as far as represses go, I've heard that Paper and Plastick is repressing The Slackers - "Lost and Found".  I've also heard they've got a repress of Wasted Days comming soon.  That repress of The Question should be out soon as well, but I'm not sure if they'll have copies left over after preorders.  I hope they will, cause I didn't have much money when it originally went up.

Oh, and whatever Flood and Justin have planned next too! ;)

Also, as far as represses go, I've heard that Paper and Plastick is repressing The Slackers - "Lost and Found".  I've also heard they've got a repress of Wasted Days comming soon.  That repress of The Question should be out soon as well, but I'm not sure if they'll have copies left over after preorders.  I hope they will, cause I didn't have much money when it originally went up.

Oh, and whatever Flood and Justin have planned next too! ;)

I've been emailing Tom from Whatevski about hooking up a copy of the Question since I missed the campaign as well and he's been telling me the band might have leftover copies available but he's gonna get me the info.  He told me a couple weeks ago the tests were just approved.  He wanted me to get back to him this week so hopefully I can find out for sure and I'll let you know as well.

Yes, please PM me when you find out!

And oh yeah, forgot about the new Streetlight album! Although I really don't consider them ska really. Just punk with horns in my book, but I still like them alright. I used to do the whole dress shirt/tie thing at shows, but then got to the point where I just didn't care. Also, I think the people who wear their father's suits are fucking lame. Everytime I go to a show in Atlanta, there's a dude there that looks like he should be in the music video for Zuit Suit Riot. He just looks like such a toolbag.

love ska, used to jam ska pretty hard throughout the 90's.  toots and the maytals, dessmond dekker, stubborn all stars, the gadjits, slackers, pietasters, so good, so much fun.  we got married in jamaica last spring, had jimmy cliff playing all day long.  love reggae, love ska.

love ska, used to jam ska pretty hard throughout the 90's.  toots and the maytals, dessmond dekker, stubborn all stars, the gadjits, slackers, pietasters, so good, so much fun.  we got married in jamaica last spring, had jimmy cliff playing all day long.  love reggae, love ska.

ahh man, yes to toots! i recently picked up Funky Kingston (Dragon 1973 UK)

the wedding must've been lots of fun

The new Inspecter 7 album is pretty good. Most people don't even know they are back together yet! I am really excited to see them with Meph in April. 

Also I just won this at a pretty decent price...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251230056075?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Anyone familiar with Mrs. Skannotto?  They're pretty sweet.  I caught them last year when they were on tour with Less than Jake.  I believe they are touring with the Toasters right now.  They just released a new album recently on cd but they keep saying it will be pressed on vinyl at a later date.  If you haven't heard them, check 'em out.

Cool!  I knew they were back togheter, but I didn't know they had a new album out already.  I'll have to check that out.  Any word on a vinyl release of the new album?

They didn't put out a vinyl release, only CD. There was a Hub City Stompers 7" put out right before they broke up though. A comp with Matty Glock's new band w/ the singer from The Whiskey Rebels out in California. It's available here: http://notdeadrecords.blogspot.com/

Anyone familiar with Mrs. Skannotto?  They're pretty sweet.  I caught them last year when they were on tour with Less than Jake.  I believe they are touring with the Toasters right now.  They just released a new album recently on cd but they keep saying it will be pressed on vinyl at a later date.  If you haven't heard them, check 'em out.

Ugh this band.  My ska band played with them a few times in Rochester (where they're from) and they were always terrible.  I haven't seen them in a couple years (the Western New York ska scene between Buffalo and Rochester is practically dead now) so when I heard they got a giant tour like that it blew my mind.  They must have turned it around.

Except for bands like Less Than Jake (which remains my 2nd favorite band ever) and other bands that hold that hold some nostalgia for me I can't really stand ska at all nowadays unless it's got some soul or 2-tone sound i.e. Specials, Selecters, Symarip, and Toots, or the more recent Slackers, Westbound Train, Green Room Rockers, etc.

Pretty much all ska pre-2000 except Reel Big Fish who I always never really liked, is the only standard 3-wave ska i can still listen too. Any new band that mixes that soul sound I will totally be into. Green Room Rockers are one of the best bands around right now.

All that said CAN'T WAIT FOR MEPHISKAPHELES ON 4/20 IN NEW JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.P.P.S. -  I wish MU330 still toured and made new music.

Ugh this band.  My ska band played with them a few times in Rochester (where they're from) and they were always terrible.  I haven't seen them in a couple years (the Western New York ska scene between Buffalo and Rochester is practically dead now) so when I heard they got a giant tour like that it blew my mind.  They must have turned it around.

Not sure what they used to sound like but I dig their current stuff. I'm not the biggest ska fan but it was refreshing to find another band in the genre that I liked.

Except for bands like Less Than Jake (which remains my 2nd favorite band ever) and other bands that hold that hold some nostalgia for me I can't really stand ska at all nowadays unless it's got some soul or 2-tone sound i.e. Specials, Selecters, Symarip, and Toots, or the more recent Slackers, Westbound Train, Green Room Rockers, etc.

Pretty much all ska pre-2000 except Reel Big Fish who I always never really liked, is the only standard 3-wave ska i can still listen too. Any new band that mixes that soul sound I will totally be into. Green Room Rockers are one of the best bands around right now.

All that said CAN'T WAIT FOR MEPHISKAPHELES ON 4/20 IN NEW JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.P.P.S. -  I wish MU330 still toured and made new music.

You should check out the Pinstripes "I" album that came out last year, and they're ever in your area, you need to catch them live.  I saw them with English Beat and was blown away.  So good.  And you should also check out The Bandulus new one "The Times We Had".  It's not on vinyl, but they're trying to get some money together to press it, so buy a digital copy.  If you're into more soul infused ska/reggae, you'll definately love both of those albums.  My top 2 from last year definately.