Include Ip Addresses In Posts

thebiglebowski

Talked to MidnightCity briefly about this once regarding a suspicious user and it seems like VERY useful information. Every post anyone makes should include the poster's IP.

I'll admit I am not an expert on the legality of this. I'll defer to people who do. I'm assuming that it might require something like a registered user to agree to a new terms of service, which includes an agreement that by posting on here, the IP address will be included. I have been a part of other forums where one day a message popped up that said "you must agree to a new terms of service agreement to continue posting" and it was over in 20 seconds.

Every reason for doing this can be summed up in that removing anonymity of a user will help eliminate the unwanted users (scammers, trolls, etc). There are a lot of smart people here who can see through the crap thrown at us. Just need the information to make it happen.

This is already possible from an administrator and/or site owner stand point. Posting a user's IP address would not be a plausible idea for the public user end.

Having access to a user's IP address, would result in mischief, i.e. you may terminate their Internet, etc.

-alternative

If there was a way to "confirm" yourself, such as Twitter.

If someone had the skill to do anything with your IP other than identification, then they could get it anyways. It's not that sensitive. It's also not that damaging. It is equivalent to someone knowing your mailing address, which is commonly sent around without regard around here.

If it is an issue, you can leave off the final set of numbers, though. This identifies someone's general location without pinpointing their computer.

It's also really easy to fake an IP address.

Damn you...making logical counterarguments. Didn't think about that.

I guess if I was suspicious I was dealing with a scammer and I was sending a record to someone in Texas but the IP was a proxy in Russia, I would obviously have reason to cancel the transaction.

I still think it helps. Not saying it solves everything.

I don't like this idea at all. All you have to do is piss off the wrong person and then you're DDOS'd.

How less far fetched is this scenario than someone hacking the server and getting the IP anyways?

Also, a denial of service is a crime and should be traceable / reportable. Feel like the FBI might actually care about people doing it unlike paypal fraud. If it is distributed, then someone what, wrote a computer virus to infect thousands of computers to target an IP and deny them service because of a message board? How far fetched we going to get with this scenario?

How less far fetched is this scenario than someone hacking the server and getting the IP anyways?

Also, a denial of service is a crime and should be traceable / reportable. Feel like the FBI might actually care about people doing it unlike paypal fraud. If it is distributed, then someone what, wrote a computer virus to infect thousands of computers to target an IP and deny them service because of a message board? How far fetched we going to get with this scenario?

It's not hard at all to do. It's just some script kiddy shit. Just download LOIC, plug in the IP address and Bob's your uncle.