Po: Blink-182 - Take Off Your Pants And Jacket Lp + 3 7"s

jhulud

1 is the worst of the bunch, it's actually not bad it just sounds a bit sibilant. Would have bettered 3 if it weren't for that. It sounds like 3 uses the same exact master, but it's definitely a different cut. Both were probably cut from the cd, there probably wasn't anything else available to cut from at the time these were released.

2 sounds the best, as if they had access to something better to work with. It doesn't sound like it has had the same processing applied, there's definitely some compression on the other two compared to this one. Not much but enough to be noticeable. I bet the effect is more pronounced in loud passages.

Can we get a reveal up in here of 1-2-& 3?

1- Original EU press

2-SRC

3-Hot Topic

#1 and #3 sound very similar, not sure I could tell them apart in a blind test. I actually prefer them to #2 on first listen. I haven't done any extensive listening yet. They explode from the speakers and sound like the band is in the room. #2 doesn't sound bad to me but it sounds like the band is in the next room and the high end drops off, for better or worse. The SRC definitely sounds different than the others but it's my least favorite. Granted, my opinions are based off of listening to them on my stereo and not these clips through a computer.

1 is the worst of the bunch, it's actually not bad it just sounds a bit sibilant. Would have bettered 3 if it weren't for that. It sounds like 3 uses the same exact master, but it's definitely a different cut. Both were probably cut from the cd, there probably wasn't anything else available to cut from at the time these were released.

2 sounds the best, as if they had access to something better to work with. It doesn't sound like it has had the same processing applied, there's definitely some compression on the other two compared to this one. Not much but enough to be noticeable. I bet the effect is more pronounced in loud passages.

Can we get a reveal up in here of 1-2-& 3?

it says it was mastered from the original tapes (#1)

TOYPAJ was recorded to tape? I know Enema was (ampex 456, 30 IPS for the technically minded), but I didnt know they continued that practice for TOYPAJ. They definitely did digital for the S/T. Does the SRC copy mention anything about the tape?

It's kind of hard to compare vinyl directly unless you have a two turntable setup - and then they both have to be exactly the same and set up the same, any variables throw anything off. So I always transfer to the computer when I do comparisons, and listen over headphones.

I agree about your assessment of the SQ. 2 does sound a little warmer. However, 1 and 3 are perceived as louder due to the compression, and the brain perceives louder as "better" - one of the biggest pains when I am EQing something I'm working on and trying to compare to the original.

It's very important to level-match the two sources so that they are at the same perceived volume. Try doing that and then compare the 3 clips again. I think you'll find that 2 has an equally big sound, if not bigger due to the greater dynamics, and should have much greater clarity. Just my hypothesis anyhow. Let us know what you find.

TOYPAJ was recorded to tape? I know Enema was (ampex 456, 30 IPS for the technically minded), but I didnt know they continued that practice for TOYPAJ. They definitely did digital for the S/T. Does the SRC copy mention anything about the tape?

It's kind of hard to compare vinyl directly unless you have a two turntable setup - and then they both have to be exactly the same and set up the same, any variables throw anything off. So I always transfer to the computer when I do comparisons, and listen over headphones.

I agree about your assessment of the SQ. 2 does sound a little warmer. However, 1 and 3 are perceived as louder due to the compression, and the brain perceives louder as "better" - one of the biggest pains when I am EQing something I'm working on and trying to compare to the original.

It's very important to level-match the two sources so that they are at the same perceived volume. Try doing that and then compare the 3 clips again. I think you'll find that 2 has an equally big sound, if not bigger due to the greater dynamics, and should have much greater clarity. Just my hypothesis anyhow. Let us know what you find.

Yes, Hoppus mentions it was recorded to tape in the foreword with the SRC version. I get what you're saying about the compression...perhaps I am being tricked by it because I am so used to modern vinyl sounding like complete crap. Evening out the volume of the SRC copy would definitely help but I have to admit I am a treble fan. I like the high end provided the rest of it is equal. I have a high output cartridge as well, which certainly doesn't help. I'll do some more listening this weekend and let you know what I think. I appreciate your input.

Just got this in the mail and let me say hot damn. Everything is fantastic. Kudos to SRC for a phenomenal job on this one.

Agreed. I received mine today. It's everything I Imagined I'd receive from MTS, except I actually received this order. Haha. The foreward was a very good read, some good insight into the band dynamics at play at the time. It indirectly explains the side-projects in the early-mid 00's and the eventual hiatus after the S/T. If you are on the fence about this, don't hesitate! It is a must buy for Blink fans.

An issue with the 7"s has been brought to my attention that indicates they were cut from digital. That is a shame unto itself, and it is a shame that the problem wasn't found at any part of the production line. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Makes you think if anyone actually listened to this thing before OR after they mastered it. In the 2010's, test pressings are seemingly only meant for giveaways and special sales. Not actual, you know, quality control.

An issue with the 7"s has been brought to my attention that indicates they were cut from digital. That is a shame unto itself, and it is a shame that the problem wasn't found at any part of the production line. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Makes you think if anyone actually listened to this thing before OR after they mastered it. In the 2010's, test pressings are seemingly only meant for giveaways and special sales. Not actual, you know, quality control.

wait what?

I don't have mine yet to see and hear this for myself, but apparently the beginning of the b-side plays for a split second at the end of the A-side, and the corresponding split second is chopped off the beginning from the b-side where it actually belongs. This got fucked in the mastering stage.

I'm sorry, but this is inexcusable for a $50 premium product. Did not one person catch this in the master by listening to it before it was cut? How about during the actual cutting? How about in the test pressing before they approved the pressing run? You would think something like the missing beginning of a song would be hard to miss, and you'd think that they'd have listened to it and noticed it at SOME point before they shipped these things out.

typical VC; people who have the records don't play them so they don't notice a problem and people who don't even have the records yet complain about something that can only be confirmed by playing them.

And only then by big fans. I mean, you'd have to be a big fan to l know there is a second of missing music from a shitty bside.

Its actually much more noticeable on the A side, rather than the B side. Minor set back for an otherwise solid release. Everything else looks and sounds great to me. However, I don't think ill be using the the slits in the gatefold to store my 7"s. I'm seeing that causing killer ring wear over time 

And only then by big fans. I mean, you'd have to be a big fan to l know there is a second of missing music from a shitty bside.

It is only on the one of the 7" and not the main album so I guess it doesn't bother me that much. But I disagree. I think any critical listener would notice that the song doesn't start correctly when they flip the record, especially if they've heard the track before. What bothers me is that this should not have happened, and it did. It's great that they got cool colors and neat packaging, but this thing first and foremost is supposed to be used to play music... And they failed at properly putting the music onto it.

I mean, that just sounds a bit fucked up.

typical VC; people who have the records don't play them so they don't notice a problem and people who don't even have the records yet complain about something that can only be confirmed by playing them.

Couldn't be less typical of VC. Someone from VC listened to the album, compared it to other versions, posted samples for comparisons, and carried on a private message conversation about audio sources that made its way back around to the thread.

Is it minor? For sure, but it's still stupid that there's no quality control. For all I know, it was supposed to sound like someone yelping at the end of the one track because I didn't previously own it. But once I flipped it over, it was evident the tracks were separated incorrectly.