Isis...

I don't see how you could have missed the boat on them as they're still around and playing shows...

Asking which is their best album is very subjective....it will vary depending on who you ask. I'm a huge fan of the band and my personal favorite albums are 'Panopticon' and 'Oceanic'...then there are days when I feel that 'In The Absence of Truth' is their best...

1.Oceanic

2.Panopticon

3.Celestial

4.the Mosquito Control EP

5.the Red Sea EP

6.Sgnl>05 EP

7.In the Fishtank split EP w/ Aerogramme

8.In the Absence of Truth

9.Remix Compilation

10 not included are the live albums and the DVD which i think kinda blows too.

I think Oceanic and Panoticon are both fucking brilliant, but Oceanic is marginally better.

Celestial is fantastic.

Mosquito Control and the Red Sea are the growing pains records...good, the potential for greatness is there, they just didn't totally know what they were doing back then...but they're still great.

Signl 05 is a "single" for a song off Celestial. cool, has a Godflesh remix and some other songs from the Celestial session.

In the Fishtank EP is weird, but it's good.

In the Absence of Truth is too meandering, too much fucking around, the intesnsity isn't there. this is their 'Tales from Topographic Oceans' bloated egos, cause for inferior music. 1-3 on this list are chock full of LONG songs, but they all make sense, and there's never a moment 'where you wanna look at your watch and say ok-wrap it up dudes' ITAOT's songs have that in spades. Just not into this at all. Major let down, but it's one of those things like after coming off the last two records being as mindblowing, they had to slip up at some point.

if you have the chance, see them live, that is where they truly shine.

I don't see how you could have missed the boat on them as they're still around and playing shows...

Asking which is their best album is very subjective....it will vary depending on who you ask. I'm a huge fan of the band and my personal favorite albums are 'Panopticon' and 'Oceanic'...then there are days when I feel that 'In The Absence of Truth' is their best...

I guess what I meant to say is that it has taken me a long time to get into them, despite knowing of them and hearing good things about them. Thanks for all the input, folks.

• 2 weeks later...

i got into them real late, hence my faves are absence and panopticon. i dont really get into growly vocals, but the music on celestial is fantastic. the earlier stuff is crushing and good for a bad mood! :-)

the aereogramme split is tremendous as is one of their earliest EPs, Sawblade. love that shit!