DAAAAAAMN! Im about halfway thru and probably going to order in a minute! Thanks! Great find!

Glad you enjoy! 

*edit*

Just to throw something else out there http://mammalhands.bandcamp.com/album/animalia

Produced by Halsall on the same label. Piano + saxophone + drums, different vibe but also sounds great

Glad you enjoy! 

Holy shite! just got to Kiyomizu-Dera and this track is beyond awesome! Playing it on my Mac sounds superb...

I can only imagine what it will sound like thru my tube rig at home! Seriously this is the best damn thing I have heard all month and Ive been listening to a lot of stuff! Anyone reading this....you can listen to the whole album on the bandcamp page....IT IS WORTH IT!!!!

Finally read through this thread.  A lot of great recommendations.  I've only recently gotten into jazz, and I've been finding some great stuff over the past couple of months.  It took me a while to get into jazz because I was almost intimidated by the sheer amount of music that is out there.  Glad that I'm finally diving into it now.  I've started by listening to old Blue Note, Prestige and Verve releases, but I have a lot more to check out yet.

Here are some of my favorite records that I've gotten over the past couple months.  I definitely want to look more into Black Jazz Records releases.  That Calvin Keys record is great.  I've definitely found that my favorite jazz records have been the ones that revolve heavily around jazz guitar (Grant Green, Calvin Keys, Kenny Burrell, etc) so I'm looking forward to checking out more stuff like that.

20141014_100301-1.jpg

Finally read through this thread.  A lot of great recommendations.  I've only recently gotten into jazz, and I've been finding some great stuff over the past couple of months.  It took me a while to get into jazz because I was almost intimidated by the sheer amount of music that is out there.  Glad that I'm finally diving into it now.  I've started by listening to old Blue Note, Prestige and Verve releases, but I have a lot more to check out yet.

Here are some of my favorite records that I've gotten over the past couple months.  I definitely want to look more into Black Jazz Records releases.  That Calvin Keys record is great.  I've definitely found that my favorite jazz records have been the ones that revolve heavily around jazz guitar (Grant Green, Calvin Keys, Kenny Burrell, etc) so I'm looking forward to checking out more stuff like that.

20141014_100301-1.jpg

Great stuff. I am a huge fan of the Black Jazz label, only missing one title. I've been able to see Doug Carn twice and the last time he played with Calvin Keys and Henry Franklin. Calvin also has "Proceed With Caution". My first and one of my fav Black Jazz titles is Roland Haynes' "2nd Wave".

I've been picking up occasional jazz records now and again, but my favorite is definitely Crescent from the Coltrane Quartet. I like his Ballads album too. Though I don't get as into some of the 'faster' stuff that Coltrane plays. Slow and moody is what I'm looking for, I guess. Any recommendations? 

Do you have Kind of Blue and Birth Of Cool by Miles Davis. Those are slow and moody. Crescent is a great record!

If you're willing to drop the cash, I highly recommend the reissues put out by Music Matters. Recently got the 33 1/3 pressing of The Sidewinder by Lee Morgan. Easily the best sounding record I own. It RIPS.

THIS.

I'm a subscriber to the series and all of the 33 1/3 releases have been so much win so far. All of them are essential albums musically, and they all sound incredible. It's a bit pricey at $35 a piece, but they are on nice thick 180g vinyl, heavyweight gatefold jackets and sound leagues better than the digitally-sourced Blue Note 75 releases. 

I have cherry picked about 75 of the AP/MM 45 series, and the 33 1/3 series is just as good. 

I do have Kind of Blue, but that's all I have from Miles. I'll check out Birth of Cool. Thanks!

I'm also a fairly new listener and as far as laid back stuff goes, I really like the original Bill Evans Trio records (he wrote Blue in Green on Kind of Blue) and the In A Silent Way complete sessions, particularly The Ghetto Walk. 

I haven't snagged any of the 45 editions yet but have been thinking about it.

That said, I've found that the Blue Note 75 series have been serviceable for what they are and the price. Buying them every month has given me much greater knowledge of the genre.

I'd urge you to at least give one of the 33 1/3 releases a shot. You may just change your mind. Personally, I'd rather get one $35 Music Matters every other month, than to get a $20 75 series every month. 

For the 75 series, it's the same mastering as the CD / download, so you may as well save your money and get it in digital format. With jazz recordings from the 50's-60's, especially Blue Notes done by RVG, you're stripping away so much of that magic that an all-analog vinyl gets you. Isn't that warm sound quality advantage of vinyl one of the main draws? 

Even if your chain doesn't fully realize the difference yet, you'll be glad later down the road when you do upgrade your gear. Plus the Music Matters will hold its value over time (see out of print 45 series issues like Out to Lunch or Matador going for $100+), whereas the 75 series will not. 

Anyway -- I'm not hating on your choices at all. We all collect/listen to vinyl for different reasons. Just trying to sway you to take a chance on (what I believe to be) one of the great labels doing vinyl right. 

EDIT: Just noticed you are the original person that recommended the Music Matters, so disregard. 

http://matthewhalsall.bandcamp.com/album/when-the-world-was-one

Dudes you gotta get this album, best release this year IMO - takes me back to that real spiritual jazz feel along with absolute stellar recording quality

This is really really good! Thanx for the tip!

Paid about $5 each for those.Of the Coltrane's, three are mono. 

Nice!