You know what I really like? All those neat little jazz 10" LP's released in the early 1950's. labels like Clef, Fantasy, Prestige, Blue Note, Commodore... About a dozen others. They're just all so good and many of these classic sessions are just forgotten gems that never received the attention like Kind Of Blue or Time Out did. Problem is they can be so damn expensive.

I just love the aesthetic, the artwork, the packaging, the music... It's all just.... So indescribably nice.

Mingus... srsly get some Mingus.

Impulse is a great label, too.

I saw a pretty good jazzy band called Father Figures not long ago.

I recommend checking them out.

My all time favorite band is Estradasphere and some of their stuff is pretty jazzy.

Totally agree with the Art Blakey love and Herbie Hancock has some great older stuff... especially Head Hunters.

Oliver Nelson, Cannonball Adderley, Charlie Parker tons of great jazz out there!!

Ornette Coleman, Thelonius Monk, Mahavishnu Orchestra on and on.

You know what I really like? All those neat little jazz 10" LP's released in the early 1950's. labels like Clef, Fantasy, Prestige, Blue Note, Commodore... About a dozen others. They're just all so good and many of these classic sessions are just forgotten gems that never received the attention like Kind Of Blue or Time Out did. Problem is they can be so damn expensive.

I just love the aesthetic, the artwork, the packaging, the music... It's all just.... So indescribably nice.

Definitely! Some records are only 5 or 6 songs anyway and they'd fit perfectly on the 10"s. Wish there were more reissues, this RSD is already doing two I'm happy with.

Off the top of my head---here are a few of my favorite records

Eric Dolphy - Live at the Five Spot Vol. 1

Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch

Miles Davis - Relaxin' With the Miles Davis Quintet

Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain

Bix Beiderbecke - any

Charles Gayle - Repent

Charlie Parker - Bird and Diz, the Genius of Charlie Parker

Thelonious Monk - Straight No Chaser

Thelonious Monk - Monk's Moods

Tonight we're going to be listening to the smooth jazz of Charles Mingus, and a girl is hiding a banana we'll find out where. Your watching Q-TV giggity, giggity, giggity, goo. Something like that. And we are all going to be old people one day and our children are going to sell our records for drugs. On the topic of jazz records when I was in NYC I stopped by a jazz record store which was in the basement of a building in Chinatown I think. It was pretty cool. I didn't purchase any jazz records but it was neat and it was definitely their specialty.

Tonight we're going to be listening to the smooth jazz of Charles Mingus, and a girl is hiding a banana we'll find out where. Your watching Q-TV giggity, giggity, giggity, goo. Something like that. And we are all going to be old people one day and our children are going to sell our records for drugs. On the topic of jazz records when I was in NYC I stopped by a jazz record store which was in the basement of a building in Chinatown I think. It was pretty cool. I didn't purchase any jazz records but it was neat and it was definitely their specialty.

Just say no to crack.

got into jazz through Jamaican music - the Skatalites, Don Drummond, Jackie Mittoo; all of those Studio One players had serious chops. Original '66 era ska is the stuff that tipped me towards the Blue Notes stuff. Coltrane, of course, was a huge favorite. From there, it was the Atlantic era Ornette Coleman and onward towards free jazz, which is the stuff I most favor nowadays.

Over the last four or five years, though; I've been casually trying to collect as much of Sun Ra's discography as I possibly can - that's alot, since he has literally hundreds of records floating around out there. 

Definitely! Some records are only 5 or 6 songs anyway and they'd fit perfectly on the 10"s. Wish there were more reissues, this RSD is already doing two I'm happy with.

They are doing fantasy 3-2 and 3-9. I actually have a red vinyl original of 3-2 in practically perfect shape (besides some seam splits on the cover) so I think I'll pass on this one, but I'm on board for 3-9.

I actually have some reels for a couple of 50's jazz sessions that never made it to vinyl. if I ever decided to do a reissue, I would replicate this 10" format. I just think they are so damn beautiful to look at.

It's more of a matter of "when" than "if" - just some rights issues that would need to be cleared up first...

They are doing fantasy 3-2 and 3-9. I actually have a red vinyl original of 3-2 in practically perfect shape (besides some seam splits on the cover) so I think I'll pass on this one, but I'm on board for 3-9.

I actually have some reels for a couple of 50's jazz sessions that never made it to vinyl. if I ever decided to do a reissue, I would replicate this 10" format. I just think they are so damn beautiful to look at.

It's more of a matter of "when" than "if" - just some rights issues that would need to be cleared up first...

Oh awesome!

I bet reels would be awesome to listen to.

I have the 3-3 from the last RSD mainly for the reason it was Brubeck but now I play it a lot, I like the color choices like blue or red. Orange should be a nice change, especially for Cal

My girlfriends grandma was the treasurer of the St. Louis jazz club and she had a ton of 78rpm 10"s... I'm hoping we end up with them ultimately, but odds are that they'll go to the college where they started a scholarship in her name.

Soulive is indeed awesome.

Anybody seen that Sealab 2021 episode with the bebop cola machine?

Hilarious!!!

Figured I would give some visuals from my collection.

12-B6BCAB6F-1012486-1280_zpsaf9283b3.jpg

All original pressings. I was very happy to find the deep groove mono of Blue Train.

Crescent is a great and mostly overlooked Trane record.

12-109819E6-1274508-1280_zpse9b2341a.jpg

Highly recommended Polish jazz.

Some titles from my Black Jazz Records collection. I got Doug Carn to sign his record. He was very grumpy.

12-FDE185F1-1423029-1280_zpsb41cd381.jpg

Figured I would give some visuals from my collection.

12-B6BCAB6F-1012486-1280_zpsaf9283b3.jpg

All original pressings. I was very happy to find the deep groove mono of Blue Train.

Crescent is a great and mostly overlooked Trane record.

12-109819E6-1274508-1280_zpse9b2341a.jpg

Highly recommended Polish jazz.

Some titles from my Black Jazz Records collection. I got Doug Carn to sign his record. He was very grumpy.

12-FDE185F1-1423029-1280_zpsb41cd381.jpg

I got the thompkins square reissue of Calvin Keys. Also that black jazz 2XLP comp is essential. 

you should check this out, new label reissuing the strata catalog. Lot of good (expensive) stuff:

https://soundcloud.com/180proof

Great thread!

Dig on pretty much everything mentioned already. I really love what Herbie was doing pre-Head Hunters...Crossings and Sextant are personal favorites, as well as post-HH albums like Thrust and Man-Child.

Also like spinning Miles, Trane, Blakey, Wayne Shorter, Freddie Hubbard, Lee Morgan, Sonny Rollins, Duke, Bird, Jimmy Smith (Organ Grinder Swing all day), Clifford Brown, Dizzy, and tons more. Add Coleman and Sun Ra in there too.

Makes me want to dig through boxes of records to find this stuff to spin...

really want to pick up Kind Of Blue eventually. I see it everywhere now but never want to spend the twenty something dollars to get it. Also, not sure if this counts but I also want some Soft Machine vinyl, since  they were jazz fusion-y.

All I had to do was click that link and I see it on sale for $12.99, hell yes!

Soft Machine definitely belongs in here too. I really love the Robert Wyatt era stuff the most, but the rest of the records are some fine fusion. I also dig on the other Canterbury type bands like Hatfield and the North and National Health.