4 hours ago, lexicondevil said:

Does anyone here actually try to buy original pressings? I know that some of them are prohibitively expensive, but you can find many for around what some people on VC spend on shitty pop punk records.

I have pretty much given up on true original pressings of Blue Note titles, the only bargains are for soul-jazz stuff like Jimmy Smith or Stanley Turrentine which aren't very interesting to me. You can often find Liberty-era pressings for 30-40 dollars but they don't sound as good as the Music Masters re-issues that are around the same price, plus you are always gambling with condition issues. I did come up on a mono 1st press of Lee Morgan's "Cornbread" a few days ago which totally made my month. But those finds are so few and far between...

If you're into jazz vocals or organ jazz or Dixieland there are definitely records to be had out there for low cost, but for the best bebop/hard bop/post bop titles you are going to pay dearly for the good stuff.

I completely agree with price issues. The first part is to actually find the record, then condition, finally is it a good price. I like the fact that these nice reissues are coming out, though I feel like it's making me lazy. I used to hunt jazz all of the time. Stopping in all types of stores, going to record meets, going to regular swapmeets, placing wanted ads on craigslist, garage sales, and also online searching. Had some great times and great scores doing all of that.

I finally listened, sober, to my original pressing of Blue Train and the MM version. They were both good, but the MM edition was a bit more dense with the bass higher in the mix and the cymbals a tad more prominent. Many would probably appreciate that. My original copy had an airier sound to it, if that makes sense. It felt more like I was there in the room listening to them play, rather than listening to a record. There was less of a roundness to it and more raw live sound. I'm no audiophile, but my ears liked the original pressing a lot more. I had phones on, so it might not be as pronounced listening to it on speakers. It makes me realize I need to get back to hunting for originals again.

^^^ Shit, I was hoping you hated the original. Haha!

The thing for me is since I just never want to pay more than $20 for anything, unless I can trade for it, it's sort of doesn't bug me that I can't have it. I had a Liberty pressing of Adderley's Something Else and I finally caved to buying a reissue. The 'vintage' copy I had had a terrible defect that didn't let me play one or two songs. I got the reissue (a cheap one, like OJC) for like $6 or $7. Seemed foolish to hold on to a defective copy just because it probably sounded better. 

I've been hunting original BN for a while now.  Most of my focus is Grant Green.

I started on the MM reissues...and I can confirm what was said earlier.  The MM does sound really, really good, but my OG monos blew them out of the water.  It really does feel like you are in the room.  It was no contest for me.

To be honest, if you are into jazz and want it on vinyl and appreciate sonics...well then you are going to have to shell out $$.  You can find good deals online occasionally for between 50-115.  Many of these records are conservatively graded.

For me, it's quality over quantity now.  I'll pay 100 bucks for an OG mono in VG condition...then 3 copies of the MM reissues.

Edited by adamha21

Absolutely true. What's great about the old, original pressings, especially the deep groove mono, is that the record could look vg and still play beautifully. The only thing to watch out for is the feelable scratches. That just isn't the case with new records. It seems like any sleeve scuff affects the sound. If more of the people who are new to jazz started listening to the older pressings, they would know this to be true. But hey, everyone keep buying only reissues, so I still have some sort of shot at getting those damn originals! ;)

I went through my list of jazz records last night. I can safely say I used store credit or traded with a number of these. But I got so many of these really cheaply.  Edit: because I was bored and listening to Jack McDuff and Gene Ammons album, I added prices.

10"s

Davis, Miles - "Miles Davis" [Classics In Jazz] (Capitol H459/mono/deep groove) - Store credit

Davis, Miles All Stars ‎– "Vol. 1" (Prestige PRLP 196/mono/deep groove/maroon label/446 W. 50th St., N.Y.C./RVG in dead wax/1955)  $5.68

LP's
Adderley, Cannonball - "Somethin' Else" (Blue Note 1595/reissue) - $7

Afro Latin Soultet, The ‎– "Wild!" (Tower T-5051/mono/1966) - $12

Coleman, Ornette - "Change of The Century" (Atlantic 1327/first pressing/mono/black label) $21.16

Coleman, Ornette - "The Shape of Jazz To Come" (Atlantic 1317/first pressing/mono/bullseye label) $32.86

Coleman, Ornette ‎– "Tomorrow Is The Question!" (Contemporary M 3569/first pressing/deep groove/yellow label) $25

Coltrane, John ‎– "My Favorite Things" (Stereo/red & green label/later issue) Store Credit

Coltrane, John - "Olé Coltrane" (Atlantic 1373/first pressing/mono/red & purple w/ white fan labels) Trade (have hardly any $ in it)

Coltrane, John - "Soultrane" (Prestige 7142/Mono/203 South Washington Ave., Bergenfield, NJ on the label) (Store credit)

Coltrane, John - "Coltrane Jazz" (Atlantic 1354/mono/orange & purple w/ black fan labels) Trade (have hardly any $ in it)

Coltrane, John - "Impressions" (Impulse A-42/Mono/orange & black label) $4.76

Coltrane, John ‎– "Ascension" [Edition II] (Impulse A-95/mono/Edition II is the second press with the 1st take of the piece) $10

Coltrane, John ‎– "Blue Train" [Test Pressing] (Blue Note BN LP-1577/Classic Records ‎reissue/mono/2003 remastered version/200 gram - x/20) $38.91

Coltrane, John ‎– "Giant Steps" (Atlantic ‎SD 1311/stereo/green & blue labels w/ black fan/1962) $2

Coltrane, John ‎– "Om" (Impulse! ‎AS-9140/first US pressing/stereo/orange & black label) $4.66

Coltrane, John ‎– "Sun Ship" (Impulse/ABC ‎AS-9211/gatefold) Store credit

Coltrane, John Quartet - "Ballads" (Impulse A-32/Mono/orange & black label)  Store Credit.

Coltrane, John Quartet ‎– "Africa/Brass" (Impulse! A-6/original US pressing/mono/orange & black label) $4.66

Davis, Miles & Lee Konitz - "Ezz-Thetic" (New Jazz/purple label/"RVG" in deadwax) Trade (very little money)

Davis, Miles (Quintet) - "Cookin'" (Prestige 7094/Mono/446 W. 50th St., NYC on the label) $20

Davis, Miles (Quintet) - "Relaxin'" (Prestige 7129/Mono/446 W. 50th St., NYC on the label) Store credit

Davis, Miles (Quintet) - "Workin'" (Prestige 7166/Mono/203 South Washington Ave., Bergenfield, NJ on the label) Store Credit

Davis, Miles (Quintet) ‎– "Miles Smiles" (Columbia CS 9401/first US pressing/stereo/2 eye label) $3

Davis, Miles + 19 (w/ Gil Evans) "‎Miles Ahead" (Columbia CL 1041/first US pressing/mono/first cover that was later withdrawn/6 eye label) $17

Davis, Miles - "Miles In The Sky" (Columbia - CS 9628/first US press/stereo/2 eye label) $5.44

Davis, Miles - "Agharta" (Columbia PG 33967/first US press/2xLP/stereo) Store credit

Davis, Miles - "Bitches Brew" (Columbia GP 26/stereo/2 eye label) Store credit

Davis, Miles - "Collectors' Items" (Prestige 7044/mono/deep groove/"RVG" in deadwax/203 South Washington Ave., Bergenfield, NJ on the label) Store credit

Davis, Miles - "Kind of Blue" (Columbia CL 1355/Mono/6 eye label) Store credit

Davis, Miles - "Kind of Blue" (Columbia PC 8163/stereo/late 70's press/red label) Store credit

Davis, Miles ‎– "Live-Evil" (Columbia CG 30954/second press/red labels) $25

Davis, Miles ‎– "Sorcerer" (Columbia PC 9532/later US pressing/stereo) Store Credit 

Hancock, Herbie - "Takin' Off" (Blue Note 4109/Mono/New York USA on label) Trade (very little money into trade)

Hancock, Herbie ‎– "Head Hunters" (Columbia KC 32731/first US pressing) Store credit

Harrison, Donald & Terence Blanchard - "Black Pearl" (Stereo/red Columbia label) Store credit

Legrand, Michel w/ Miles Davis ‎– "Legrand Jazz" (Columbia ‎CL 1250/mono/six eye label)  $15

Marsh, Warne (Quartet) - "All Music" (Nessa label) $3

Mobley, Hank ‎– "The Turnaround" (Blue Note BLP 4186/mono/Van Gelder stamp & 'ear' in dead wax/NY USA on the label) $32.86

Monk, Thelonious - "Criss-Cross" (Columbia CL 2038/Mono/2-eye white label promo)  Trade (very little money into trade)

Morgan, Lee - "Cornbread" (Blue Note 4222/Mono/New York USA on label) Trade (very little money into trade)

Payton, Walter - "Side By Side" (NOLA LPS24) Store Credit

Powell, Bud ‎– "The Amazing Bud Powell, Volume 1" (Blue Note 1503/second press/mono/767 Lexington Ave, NYC on the label) Store Credit

Smith, Jimmy - "Softly As A Summer Breeze" (Blue Note 4200/Mono/New York USA on label) Store Credit

Edited by somethingvinyl

1 hour ago, somethingvinyl said:

I went through my list of jazz records last night. I can safely say I used store credit or traded with a number of these. But I got so many of these really cheaply. 

Adderley, Cannonball - "Somethin' Else" (Blue Note 1595/reissue)

Afro Latin Soultet, The ‎– "Wild!" (Tower T-5051/mono/1966)

Coleman, Ornette - "Change of The Century" (Atlantic 1327/first pressing/mono/black label)

Coleman, Ornette - "The Shape of Jazz To Come" (Atlantic 1317/first pressing/mono/bullseye label)

Coleman, Ornette ‎– "Tomorrow Is The Question!" (Contemporary M 3569/first pressing/deep groove/yellow label)

Coltrane, John ‎– "My Favorite Things" (Stereo/red & green label/later issue)

Coltrane, John - "Olé Coltrane" (Atlantic 1373/first pressing/mono/red & purple w/ white fan labels)

Coltrane, John - "Soultrane" (Prestige 7142/Mono/203 South Washington Ave., Bergenfield, NJ on the label)

Coltrane, John - "Coltrane Jazz" (Atlantic 1354/mono/orange & purple w/ black fan labels)

Coltrane, John - "Impressions" (Impulse A-42/Mono/orange & black label)

Coltrane, John ‎– "Ascension" [Edition II] (Impulse A-95/mono/Edition II is the second press with the 1st take of the piece)

Coltrane, John ‎– "Blue Train" [Test Pressing] (Blue Note BN LP-1577/Classic Records ‎reissue/mono/2003 remastered version/200 gram - x/20)

Coltrane, John ‎– "Giant Steps" (Atlantic ‎SD 1311/stereo/green & blue labels w/ black fan/1962)

Coltrane, John ‎– "Om" (Impulse! ‎AS-9140/first US pressing/stereo/orange & black label)

Coltrane, John ‎– "Sun Ship" (Impulse/ABC ‎AS-9211/gatefold)

Coltrane, John Quartet - "Ballads" (Impulse A-32/Mono/orange & black label)

Coltrane, John Quartet ‎– "Africa/Brass" (Impulse! A-6/original US pressing/mono/orange & black label)

Davis, Miles & Lee Konitz - "Ezz-Thetic" (New Jazz/purple label/"RVG" in deadwax)

Davis, Miles (Quintet) - "Cookin'" (Prestige 7094/Mono/446 W. 50th St., NYC on the label)

Davis, Miles (Quintet) - "Relaxin'" (Prestige 7129/Mono/446 W. 50th St., NYC on the label)

Davis, Miles (Quintet) - "Workin'" (Prestige 7166/Mono/203 South Washington Ave., Bergenfield, NJ on the label)

Davis, Miles (Quintet) ‎– "Miles Smiles" (Columbia CS 9401/first US pressing/stereo/2 eye label)

Davis, Miles + 19 (w/ Gil Evans) "‎Miles Ahead" (Columbia CL 1041/first US pressing/mono/first cover that was later withdrawn/6 eye label)

Davis, Miles - "Miles In The Sky" (Columbia - CS 9628/first US press/stereo/2 eye label)

Davis, Miles - "Agharta" (Columbia PG 33967/first US press/2xLP/stereo)

Davis, Miles - "Bitches Brew" (Columbia GP 26/stereo/2 eye label)

Davis, Miles - "Collectors' Items" (Prestige 7044/mono/deep groove/"RVG" in deadwax/203 South Washington Ave., Bergenfield, NJ on the label)

Davis, Miles - "Kind of Blue" (Columbia CL 1355/Mono/6 eye label)

Davis, Miles - "Kind of Blue" (Columbia PC 8163/stereo/late 70's press/red label)

Davis, Miles ‎– "Live-Evil" (Columbia CG 30954/second press/red labels)

Davis, Miles ‎– "Sorcerer" (Columbia PC 9532/later US pressing/stereo)

Hancock, Herbie - "Takin' Off" (Blue Note 4109/Mono/New York USA on label)

Hancock, Herbie ‎– "Head Hunters" (Columbia KC 32731/first US pressing)

Harrison, Donald & Terence Blanchard - "Black Pearl" (Stereo/red Columbia label)

Legrand, Michel w/ Miles Davis ‎– "Legrand Jazz" (Columbia ‎CL 1250/mono/six eye label)

Marsh, Warne (Quartet) - "All Music" (Nessa label)

Mobley, Hank ‎– "The Turnaround" (Blue Note BLP 4186/mono/Van Gelder stamp & 'ear' in dead wax/NY USA on the label)

Monk, Thelonious - "Criss-Cross" (Columbia CL 2038/Mono/2-eye white label promo)

Morgan, Lee - "Cornbread" (Blue Note 4222/Mono/New York USA on label)

Payton, Walter - "Side By Side" (NOLA LPS24)

Powell, Bud ‎– "The Amazing Bud Powell, Volume 1" (Blue Note 1503/second press/mono/767 Lexington Ave, NYC on the label)

Smith, Jimmy - "Softly As A Summer Breeze" (Blue Note 4200/Mono/New York USA on label)

What, roughly speaking, is "really cheaply"?

I don't know if I posted this before and I'm too lazy to check. Anyway, it's hard to believe this record came out in 81. It sounds like late sixties-early 70's spiritual jazz, ala Coltrane, Sanders, Shorter, Carn, Bartz. If you manage to find any titles on the Nimbus label for a good price, pick them up. Everything I have on the label has been pretty solid.  

20 hours ago, lexicondevil said:

This is a nicely mellow record by Pete La Roca with a little bit of a Euro jazz/spiritual jazz vibe. Originals aren't that expensive. It's got John Gilmore, Chick Corea, Walter Booker, and Pete La Roca.

I actually just gripped this one off Discogs last week...LOVE it.

On 5/25/2016 at 9:17 PM, lexicondevil said:

This is a nicely mellow record by Pete La Roca with a little bit of a Euro jazz/spiritual jazz vibe. Originals aren't that expensive. It's got John Gilmore, Chick Corea, Walter Booker, and Pete La Roca.

Wow, immediately loving this! Thanks for sharing!

Edited by Fridge Fox

Hey guys, new to the forum here.

I've all but given up on any original/old pressings of some of my favorite records, figured I'd just settle with the repressed stuff... Until the guy at my local record store got a huge haul in from some old cat that was ready to move on. Spent way too much money that day ha, but walked with some great stuff including first pressing of Moanin' by Art Blakely in amazing condition

On 5/24/2016 at 1:11 AM, docbronze said:

What, roughly speaking, is "really cheaply"?

Well, I was bored and I went through the spreadsheet I use to record prices to see. I definitely paid more for some than I remembered. But I got a lot with trades. If I'm trading, I'm using stuff I buy cheap to flip (i.e., not my collection stuff). Needless to say, I need to unload the ones I got super cheap and try to get some more reasonably priced ones when I see them.

Edited by somethingvinyl

• 3 weeks later...

FYI for all you CW Stoneking fans!

I FINALLY GOT SHIPPING notification from Amazon for Gon' Boogaloo!

Get it while you can.....

https://www.amazon.com/Gon-Boogaloo-STONEKING-C-W/dp/B00NIZD3OY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466104114&sr=8-1&keywords=cw+stoneking+vinyl

My original order has been canceled over and over via amazon uk and us. Also my orders for his previous releases kept getting delayed or canceled so this is pretty exciting! 

Figure some of the folks in this thread would want to know....

A little off-topic, but I purchased this book for my dad (for Father's Day):

https://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/music/all/45452/facts.jazz_covers.htm.

It is basically a collection of the greatest Jazz covers and a bit about the artists / artwork / musicians. Really good purchase (approx. £13), would recommend it.

There was also an original (better) version that was 12"x12" and made to look like a set of LPs on the shelf (see pics below):

https://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/music/all/44931/facts.jazz_covers.htm.

Unfortunately, they don't print it any more, but I am considering a copy from eBay (pretty expensive though).

Pics:

25_jazz_covers_2_vol_ju_int_v1_v2_as001_

ju_25_jazz_covers_01_44931_1504161101_id

Worth a look if you get the chance!

Cheers

Edited by SE7EN

21 hours ago, SE7EN said:

A little off-topic, but I purchased this book for my dad (for Father's Day):

https://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/music/all/45452/facts.jazz_covers.htm.

It is basically a collection of the greatest Jazz covers and a bit about the artists / artwork / musicians. Really good purchase (approx. £13), would recommend it.

There was also an original (better) version that was 12"x12" and made to look like a set of LPs on the shelf (see pics below):

https://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/music/all/44931/facts.jazz_covers.htm.

Unfortunately, they don't print it any more, but I am considering a copy from eBay (pretty expensive though).

Pics:

25_jazz_covers_2_vol_ju_int_v1_v2_as001_

ju_25_jazz_covers_01_44931_1504161101_id

Worth a look if you get the chance!

Cheers

Very cool, man. Thanks for posting.

Does not really fall in the realm of jazz but the Squirrel Nut Zippers HOT album is being repressed for the 20th anniversary.

180gram with a BONUS TRACK!

Figured it might not merit a new thread to some folk but the jazz side of VC might be interested!

Just saw a preorder in an email and its being sold everywhere!

Enjoy!