Tooth & Nail Sell Catalog To Capitol Christian Music Group

• 2 months later...

I guess that means no more As Cities Burn. Why would you buy a collection of music and dismiss a way to make money off of it while having other people pay you and do all of the work?

They still have to manage it and probably just don't view vinyl as part of their core business strategy. Corporations just have to operate differently because they are publicly owned. So many levels of permissions up the corporate ladder needed, the accounting, the legalities, etc. Probably just don't see it being worth the trouble.

Direct from Capitol CMG Publishing on this:

We will not be allowing albums to be released by anyone else in a different format. We will not be licensing songs or masters to anyone for vinyl releases.

I don't read that as, "Nothing from Tooth and Nail will be released on vinyl." It could just mean Capitol will handle their own vinyl releases. Maybe they just don't want to deal with the issues that have arisen with licensing big albums to fly-by-night vinyl "labels" or maybe they have plans to release them in a particular way. Of course Capitol won't bother with most T&N bands, but it doesn't mean an album like YAMS will never be reissued.  I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see vinyl releases, but I don't think that statement means vinyl is out of the question. They have the "Capitol Vault" series and whatnot, so vinyl is at least on their radar.

As for the as cities burn records, solid state has teased a few times like they "have something in store" for ACB fans. And they responded to me personally during the SILYAYD preorder announcement on FB about me asking for CNS/HOHW pressing with a very positive "if you only knew what we had in store". Should I seriously give up on them being pressed, or is this just a wait and see kinda scenario?

I don't read that as, "Nothing from Tooth and Nail will be released on vinyl." It could just mean Capitol will handle their own vinyl releases. Maybe they just don't want to deal with the issues that have arisen with licensing big albums to fly-by-night vinyl "labels" or maybe they have plans to release them in a particular way. Of course Capitol won't bother with most T&N bands, but it doesn't mean an album like YAMS will never be reissued. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see vinyl releases, but I don't think that statement means vinyl is out of the question. They have the "Capitol Vault" series and whatnot, so vinyl is at least on their radar.

Cute.

The best selling T&N albums are these albums that went gold, according to Wiki, are:

Jeremy Camp Carried Me: The Worship Project; Stay Restored; Beyond Measure

Underoath Define the Great Line; They're Only Chasing Safety

Kutless Strong Tower

MxPx Slowly Going the Way of the Buffalo

So, chance are, if Capitol is going to do a vinyl release themselves, it's going to be these releases first.

Slowly Going the Way of the Buffalo only had the Tooth & Nail logo on it for contract reasons, I'm pretty sure the rights are still owned by A&M, which is owned by Universal. So that's a whole other kettle of fish.

I'm going to guess that unless artists have a contract clause where the rights to their music revert to them after a certain period (it happens with other labels, but I'd be surprised if Tooth & Nail made that concession with anyone - the only material that's ever been legitimately taken over by another label that I can think of is the Danielson Famile albums on Secretly Canadian, and it's possible that any such agreement has been nullified by the EMI deal) nothing will be pressed by EMI unless it can sell ~5000 copies. Which applies to almost nothing in their catalog - maybe Define the Great Line, but even that's pushing it. Another possibility is if Hot Topic convinced EMI to do exclusive pressings for them, but that too seems unlikely as they seem to work primarily with Universal. Not that anything that would sell at Hot Topic would interest me at all.

Honestly, I would give up all hope of anything making it out of the EMI vaults on vinyl. They bought out T&N to make easy iTunes money off the Christian market with little to no effort on their part, not to do new and exciting things with it.

I guess I'll be saving up my money for awhile to obtain the Starflyer 59 LPs I'm missing. :(

Slowly Going the Way of the Buffalo only had the Tooth & Nail logo on it for contract reasons, I'm pretty sure the rights are still owned by A&M, which is owned by Universal. So that's a whole other kettle of fish.

I guess I'll be saving up my money for awhile to obtain the Starflyer 59 LPs I'm missing. :(

I forgot about about that MXPX thing. The dealings behind the song lyrics "You don't own me / they abolished slavery... 'cause I would never steal from kids that don't have a clue."

And I'm in the same boat with Starflyer. I have a friend who has Gold, not in great shape. He wouldn't take $50 for it.

I forgot about about that MXPX thing. The dealings behind the song lyrics "You don't own me / they abolished slavery... 'cause I would never steal from kids that don't have a clue."

And I'm in the same boat with Starflyer. I have a friend who has Gold, not in great shape. He wouldn't take $50 for it.

I recently asked Mike Herrera about the possibility of the albums MxPx released on A&M coming back to them after a certain number of years and he was fairly certain there was a clause in their contract which stipulated they be reverted back...but I think the earliest for any of the albums would be 2017/2018, from what he said.