Joyful Noise Records Appreciation Thread (VIP,FLEXI,AWESOME)

I can see what you guys are saying but I think this limited subscription shouldn't be judged as a normal commercial subscription.  

You are basically assuming the role of a patron, backing a company or group that you enjoy and want to financially support, and you are getting some perks back in the form of low numbered limited edition vinyl.  For people who can afford to take that role, this sounds like a really cool sub. For those who can't afford to take that role or who don't like Joyful Noise as a company or their choice of releases, there is literally zero obligation or opportunity cost for you to not participate. As far as I know, nothing changes for any other members or the general public who would want to pick up a random JN release down the road.  If anything, this can actually be helpful to you. If this subscription helps Joyful Noise pay the bills, pay their artists, and continue to expand/improve and they release a cool record in a year that you like and want to buy, you can thank the 100 people who volunteered to take a larger role in supporting a company in the entertainment/arts realm.

In my experience with the label (I've bought stuff from them since 2014), their customer service is super quick and helpful and I haven't come across any articles outing the owners as greedy or unethical.  There are definite cash grabs out there that use the illusion of scarcity to pressure people into handing over their credit cards but this strikes me as a pretty straight-forward and mutually-benefitting subscription aimed to a very small amount of people. I don't see them taking your $100 and sending you 3 Ninja Turtle 7"s that the owners half-heartedly slapped together. End long post!

I don't see it as a negative if 100 people want to back Joyful Noise at $100 a month.  As far as I know, they sent a brief email about it to current VIP subscribers and are not putting out intrusive ads on our Facebook/Instagram feeds asking us for $10,000.  Am I going to do it? No. But, if I had the extra money, I'd love to do something similar with art-based companies I believe in or want to see stay afloat.

Edited by richardsurf

1 hour ago, richardsurf said:

I don't see it as a negative if 100 people want to back Joyful Noise at $100 a month.  As far as I know, they sent a brief email about it to current VIP subscribers and are not putting out intrusive ads on our Facebook/Instagram feeds asking us for $10,000.  Am I going to do it? No. But, if I had the extra money, I'd love to do something similar with art-based companies I believe in or want to see stay afloat.

i hear you, i do. and i read the whole thing you wrote earlier as well. i think you have very valid points. my position is simply that the label consistently puts out boring music and instead of improving that aspect, they come up with marketing, subscription-based strategies so that they sell you the crap whether you like it or not -- ie. how is there a waitlist before it was even offered for sale? inquiring minds wanna know!

you're right, if someone more interesting was doing this, i'd be all over it, but yeeeeesh to MOST(and that's kind) of the records these guys put out.

1 hour ago, richardsurf said:

i hear you, i do. and i read the whole thing you wrote earlier as well. i think you have very valid points. my position is simply that the label consistently puts out boring music and instead of improving that aspect, they come up with marketing, subscription-based strategies so that they sell you the crap whether you like it or not -- ie. how is there a waitlist before it was even offered for sale? inquiring minds wanna know!

you're right, if someone more interesting was doing this, i'd be all over it, but yeeeeesh to MOST(and that's kind) of the records these guys put out.

I think joyful noise puts out a lot of good music.  Also,  there is a lot of music I am not a fan of as well, but there are maybe two or three labels I like everything they release.    I'd hardly call what they put out boring but then again I find most bands on here that have threads with 50+ pages are usually garbage but that is just my opinion.  I would never blindly put up $100 a month for it but as a big Melvins, Lou Barlow and Built to Spill fan I know I'll really enjoy a bunch of releases they put out every year.

but if you don't spend the $100 a month you won't be able to get some realeases by these great bands. For instance there have been lathes by Sufjan, Melvins, and Lou that were all limited to 100 copies are fewer, so with this new system only the folks that blindly put in a thousand + bucks a year will be able to own the records. Realistically I doubt they get 100 people to sign up, but if they do it will suck for every one else that doesn't have the type of capital to "invest". 

The thing is I don't feel the NEED to have a limited lathe, if I can get one cool if not whatever.  For the most part they are just collectibles so if they can get People to spend money upfront for them good for them.  If someone is willing to help Keep a label going they should be rewarded and if you can't then don't worry about some release you'll probably never listen to anyways but only want because it is rare and makes a sweet trophy or will be worth something.  Shit anyone paying $100 a month should get some Super limited melvins and built to spill records.

6 hours ago, stl_ben said:

but if you don't spend the $100 a month you won't be able to get some realeases by these great bands. For instance there have been lathes by Sufjan, Melvins, and Lou that were all limited to 100 copies are fewer, so with this new system only the folks that blindly put in a thousand + bucks a year will be able to own the records. Realistically I doubt they get 100 people to sign up, but if they do it will suck for every one else that doesn't have the type of capital to "invest". 

Welcome to real life.  If you aren't a millionaire you won't be able to own a Ferrari...or a yacht...or a Rembrandt.  There are millions of things you can't have.  Who fucking cares.

Edited by hammertime

• 2 weeks later...

well, that was a shitshow.  didn't get a single thing i wanted.  i could add to my cart, but then it would show sold out.  but i would go back to the product page and would show more available (but less avaialble).  but would then tell me it was unavailable when i went to checkout again

anyone have better luck?

3 hours ago, bobbyhotep said:

disappointed that I missed the Sonderlust TP as well.  I have all the other Kishi Bashi LP test presses.  

But what can you do?

Keep on searching and pay more than you care to admit. I used to have all the JNR Kishi Bashi test pressings. LPs, 7", flexi, ....until now.

07043f10-89e2-40cc-ba4d-4a4def9a5ef7.jpg

Greetings VIPs —

You're the first to know:  WHY? will release their sixth album, Moh Lhean, out March 3rd. The first fully home-recorded WHY? album since the project's 2003 debut — made mostly in Wolf's studio and co-produced by his brother Josiah, the result is obsessive, but also intimate, and flush with warmth and looseness. The biggest transformation is a bit subtler. After years of eyeing his world, in part, with a cynical squint, Wolf here learns a new mode. While Moh Lhean never stoops to outright optimism, it chronicles our hero finding peace in the unknowing, trading the wry smirk for a holy shrug, and looking past corporeal pain for something more cosmic — but rest assured, equally weird. 

The VIP edition is limited to 500 hand-numbered copies on blue and pink swirl vinyl, and includes an 18" by 24" cover art poster.

Order Here

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, mizzle said:

Anyone know if the new Joan of Arc has shipped yet? I remember seeing that the VIP version would ship sometime in December, but I can't seem to find that info anymore.

Catalog #: JNR219    Release Date: 1/20/2017

edit: I found this in my email: "VIP vinyl ships a full month before the street date (in time for xmas)." So I think the VIP version should have shipped by now.

Edited by jackholexxxx

2 hours ago, jackholexxxx said:

Catalog #: JNR219    Release Date: 1/20/2017

edit: I found this in my email: "VIP vinyl ships a full month before the street date (in time for xmas)." So I think the VIP version should have shipped by now.

I received my copy in the last 48 hours. Haven't cracked it yet though.