Official OST and Film Score Thread

4 minutes ago, hallowken78 said:

So I received my 'anti-god' green variant of John Carpenter's Anthology from Sacred Bones.  No hand numbering, no screenprinted wraparound.  What. the. fuck.

Hmm that sounds about right. Only the orange deluxe version had a wraparound or numbering.

The Anti-God version just comes sealed with a single 7x7 screen print:

https://www.discogs.com/John-Carpenter-Anthology-Movie-Themes-1974-1998/release/11025044

Edited by lethalenforcer

29 minutes ago, lethalenforcer said:

Hmm that sounds about right. Only the orange deluxe version had a wraparound or numbering.

The Anti-God version just comes sealed with a single 7x7 screen print:

https://www.discogs.com/John-Carpenter-Anthology-Movie-Themes-1974-1998/release/11025044

I did some digging and found a site that had posted the original listing for it and I'm not crazy - I'd have never dropped double the money on a variant that had less than the retail version if there wasn't something supposedly special about it:

***Limited Edition Version: Edition of 500 hand-numbered copies, comes with alternate screen-printed wrap around sleeve, "Anti-God Green" colored vinyl exclusive to mail-order, one randomly chosen 7"x7" print by Chris Bilheimer featuring new art for one of the themes on the album, wax sealed, and available by mail-order only. ONE PER PERSON LIMIT.***

Just now, hallowken78 said:

I did some digging and found a site that had posted the original listing for it and I'm not crazy - I'd have never dropped double the money on a variant that had less than the retail version if there wasn't something supposedly special about it:

***Limited Edition Version: Edition of 500 hand-numbered copies, comes with alternate screen-printed wrap around sleeve, "Anti-God Green" colored vinyl exclusive to mail-order, one randomly chosen 7"x7" print by Chris Bilheimer featuring new art for one of the themes on the album, wax sealed, and available by mail-order only. ONE PER PERSON LIMIT.***

If that's the case and SB did indeed revise the description after you ordered, I'd complain. That's sketchy.

On 10/23/2017 at 10:29 AM, lethalenforcer said:

If that's the case and SB did indeed revise the description after you ordered, I'd complain. That's sketchy.

They apologized and said they listed it incorrectly....but I call BS.  They changed the description after the fact and never notified any buyers in hopes that nobody would notice or say anything.  They said they'd send me a numbered wrap (which itself is pretty shady since all of the ones accompanying the orange variant are supposedly accounted for), so I'll see what shows up on my door.  Lost a lot of respect for Sacred Bones on this one.

3 hours ago, hallowken78 said:

They apologized and said they listed it incorrectly....but I call BS.  They changed the description after the fact and never notified any buyers in hopes that nobody would notice or say anything.  They said they'd send me a numbered wrap (which itself is pretty shady since all of the ones accompanying the orange variant are supposedly accounted for), so I'll see what shows up on my door.  Lost a lot of respect for Sacred Bones on this one.

Yeah, this has happened to a number of folks that I'm aware of. They definitely changed the description after the fact and alerted no one.

Edited by docbronze

1 hour ago, lethalenforcer said:

Yesss finally, thanks for posting! I'm curious to see if they'll put up a second pressing right away if this one sells out quickly like they did with the CD

Just now, Vega said:

Yesss finally, thanks for posting! I'm curious to see if they'll put up a second pressing right away if this one sells out quickly like they did with the CD

I would assume so.

Regarding the CD, is the only different between their "limited" editions and the standard retail that their versions are numbered? The standard 2-CD on Amazon looks identical to their "1st Edition" run. If true, that's pretty comical.

1 minute ago, lethalenforcer said:

I would assume so.

Regarding the CD, is the only different between their "limited" editions and the standard retail that their versions are numbered? The standard 2-CD on Amazon looks identical to their "1st Edition" run. If true, that's pretty comical.

They actually released two identical "limited" editions (1st and 2nd, each numbered to 2049) on the website and then released this much larger edition (3rd, unnumbered) for wider sale at a price several dollars cheaper. Same music, same art. Folks are understandably displeased.

Just now, docbronze said:

They actually released two identical "limited" editions (1st and 2nd, each numbered to 2049) on the website and then released this much larger edition (3rd, unnumbered) for wider sale at a price several dollars cheaper. Same music, same art. Folks are understandably displeased.

But doesn't the website state/show that the 2nd edition features different artwork? Is it confirmed that there was no artwork change, meaning there are duplicate #'s of each edition (with the same cover) out there?

I would assume so.

Yeah I think so... in the case that they'll handle the records like the CDs it would be quite ridiculous and an obvious cash grab... but i'd keep my order on the LP anyway cause it's nice to have a first pressing, i bet other labels will be releasing this on all kinds of coloured vinyl in the future, was hoping to get a blue pressing to go with my red one of the original :D

But doesn't the website state/show that the 2nd edition features different artwork? Is it confirmed that there was no artwork change, meaning there are duplicate #'s of each edition (with the same cover) out there?

Sorry, LE, my bad. I meant same booklet content. The covers are indeed slightly different jr high photoshop collages.

Just now, docbronze said:

Sorry, LE, my bad. I meant same booklet content. The covers are indeed slightly different jr high photoshop collages.

Ah gotcha. All good. It's a shady release by them regardless, but the worst offense is that it appears the wide-release "3rd Edition" has the exact same artwork as the "1st Edition." Which sorta means the "2nd Edition" is the most unique of the bunch. All awful. This movie deserved better, and I'm expecting them to pull the same garbage with the vinyl.

Just now, lethalenforcer said:

Ah gotcha. All good. It's a shady release by them regardless, but the worst offense is that it appears the wide-release "3rd Edition" has the exact same artwork as the "1st Edition." Which sorta means the "2nd Edition" is the most unique of the bunch. All awful. This movie deserved better, and I'm expecting them to pull the same garbage with the vinyl.

Ditto.

2 hours ago, lethalenforcer said:

Chances that it's still up by Friday to order? I hope so since I get paid then. 

2 minutes ago, jhulud said:

Chances that it's still up by Friday to order? I hope so since I get paid then. 

Good question. The fanbase is rabid - as evidenced by how those CD's sold pretty damn fast. The bad artwork and fact it's on black wax may actually deter some people, though. I'd say you'll be fine but who knows.

Also: completely expecting an identical, unnumbered version to hit Amazon, etc.

Edited by lethalenforcer

5 hours ago, hallowken78 said:

Did they go "But the exclusive screenprint?" because you can't possibly pretend that it's not exclusive to your edition. Unless they're lying about that too.

Just now, Saxonjulin said:

I want this score but this jacket artwork is hideous. Am I wrong? Im gonna wait and see if another company does a different version

Best case is you buy and can always resell if a new and better looking cover comes out. Also keep in mind that the OG Blade Runner vinyl release wasn't really that amazing to look at besides it just being the poster as well.

Edited by Vector53

8 hours ago, lethalenforcer said:

Also: completely expecting an identical, unnumbered version to hit Amazon, etc.

100%.

7 hours ago, Vector53 said:

The fact they aren't even trying with the artwork speaks volumes. Ugh.

Same. To be fair, they didn't really try with the score. They had a composer working on it for months, sacked him, and then Zimmer worked on it for one or two days and Wallfisch for three. 

7 hours ago, Vector53 said:

Best case is you buy and can always resell if a new and better looking cover comes out. Also keep in mind that the OG Blade Runner vinyl release wasn't really that amazing to look at besides it just being the poster as well.

There isn't really an true OG Blade Runner vinyl. One of the many reasons why the score has cultivated such a mystique about it. Heck, even the versions we have now aren't really the score as it appears in the film. On wax, there's the New American Orchestra classical re-recording from 1982, but, with the exception of a Warner Brazil promo in 1994, you have to wait until 2013 to get the Audio Fidelity LP which is itself a vinyl remaster of the 1994 Vangelis CD that includes new music and some tinkered with originals as well. They do all feature some version of poster art on their covers, though.