SOUL, FUNK, and BLUES Record Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Just a heads up that on Friday the 30th, Daptone records is having a "stoop sale" in Brooklyn. They will also have online sales that day from 4-8 ET. Can't go wrong with $10 lps.

All Daptone LPs - $10
(LPs also $10 at shop.daptonerecords.com from 4pm-8pm ET)
All Daptone 45s - 5 for $20 (excluding colored vinyl)
PLUS! 
A limited amount of colored vinyl LPs and 45s
Sharon Jones Record Store Day "Heaven Bound" 45s
T-shirts, Mugs, Slipmats, DVDs and giveaways.
FREE BEER courtesy of Braven Brewing Company!

Friday June 30th, 4pm-8pm
@ The House of Soul Studio
115 Troutman St, Brooklyn, NY 11216

stumbled across a couple UK compilations that are worth a listen. looks like volume 1 sold out on vinyl most places a few months back (pm me if you're selling a copy), but volume 2 is currently available at a decent price. plus, the jacket covers are pretty solid.

R-3325698-1326396859.jpeg.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMOSE7khlaE

R-3325737-1326467359.jpeg.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w9WuLzxvak

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2017 at 6:47 PM, WAXXX said:

stumbled across a couple UK compilations that are worth a listen. looks like volume 1 sold out on vinyl most places a few months back (pm me if you're selling a copy), but volume 2 is currently available at a decent price. plus, the jacket covers are pretty solid.

R-3325698-1326396859.jpeg.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMOSE7khlaE

R-3325737-1326467359.jpeg.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w9WuLzxvak

fyi, looks like they are finally available for sale again at turntable lab:

https://www.turntablelab.com/products/al-kent-the-best-of-disco-demands-compiled-pt-1-2lp

https://www.turntablelab.com/products/al-kent-the-best-of-disco-demands-compiled-pt-2-2lp

• 3 weeks later...

Story time, amazing score yesterday, an offer fell through from my shop for this guys collection, a lot of media but the highlight was over 2000 45s in amazing condition of all kinds of genres. Unfortunately those are slow movers and the offer was way out of line with what he wanted so I asked if I could come cherry pick some and he agreed, I spent time with him, listened to some baseball and he sold me 33 45s and 4 LPs of soul,funk, and classic rock for $140 I didn't look up values and only picked things I was personally interested in, the highlight was a VG+ copy of Irma Thomas "Wish Someone Would Care/Break-A-Way" and a VG+ original of Sam & Dave "Hold On, I'm Coming" LP. He is a very sweet man dying from ALS and wants these to go to a good home but does not want his wife to get ripped off if he passes so he is trying to sell these off for as much as he can. From this point forward I am going to be assisting him in selling off the hot ticket items online and would like to extend it to the posters here, I can't sell these for pennies on the dollar he is aware of their market value, but can definitely do a sizable discount. I'll be going back over Tuesday to help pick out his valuable CDs before they are donated for a tax write off if anyone is looking for specific titles for 45s let me know, also the first 4 items in question I'll be selling for him are: Ike & Tina Turner "Dynamite" original mono on sue (VG/NM) as well as their Greatest Hits on sue VG+/NM, (these 2 are OT since it's rock) and for 45s The Crickets "I'm Not The One You Love/Fine As Wine" on Jay-Dee and The Pyramids "Penetration/Here Comes Marsha". Most of his other LPs not mentioned are not in the best shape or very rare titles (Beatles/classic rock fare) but there is a VG+ copy of https://www.discogs.com/Bo-Diddley-Bo-Diddley/release/1535194 as well. So if you are looking for soul, funk, northern soul, classic rock send me specific titles or artists and ill go through the boxes again and pull stuff and perhaps I can make some of your 45 dreams come true.  You can peep my recently added in discogs link in my sig for an idea of what I got/types of stuff he might have

2 hours ago, NapalmBrain said:

Story time, amazing score yesterday, an offer fell through from my shop for this guys collection, a lot of media but the highlight was over 2000 45s in amazing condition of all kinds of genres. Unfortunately those are slow movers and the offer was way out of line with what he wanted so I asked if I could come cherry pick some and he agreed, I spent time with him, listened to some baseball and he sold me 33 45s and 4 LPs of soul,funk, and classic rock for $140 I didn't look up values and only picked things I was personally interested in, the highlight was a VG+ copy of Irma Thomas "Wish Someone Would Care/Break-A-Way" and a VG+ original of Sam & Dave "Hold On, I'm Coming" LP. He is a very sweet man dying from ALS and wants these to go to a good home but does not want his wife to get ripped off if he passes so he is trying to sell these off for as much as he can. From this point forward I am going to be assisting him in selling off the hot ticket items online and would like to extend it to the posters here, I can't sell these for pennies on the dollar he is aware of their market value, but can definitely do a sizable discount. I'll be going back over Tuesday to help pick out his valuable CDs before they are donated for a tax write off if anyone is looking for specific titles for 45s let me know, also the first 4 items in question I'll be selling for him are: Ike & Tina Turner "Dynamite" original mono on sue (VG/NM) as well as their Greatest Hits on sue VG+/NM, (these 2 are OT since it's rock) and for 45s The Crickets "I'm Not The One You Love/Fine As Wine" on Jay-Dee and The Pyramids "Penetration/Here Comes Marsha". Most of his other LPs not mentioned are not in the best shape or very rare titles (Beatles/classic rock fare) but there is a VG+ copy of https://www.discogs.com/Bo-Diddley-Bo-Diddley/release/1535194 as well. So if you are looking for soul, funk, northern soul, classic rock send me specific titles or artists and ill go through the boxes again and pull stuff and perhaps I can make some of your 45 dreams come true.  You can peep my recently added in discogs link in my sig for an idea of what I got/types of stuff he might have

That's cool of you to do that for the guy. I'm looking for a lot of stuff, but judging by what you've posted there may be a chance that he has a copy of Rocks the House lp by Etta James. It's not impossible to find, but if he has a nice clean copy, I'd be interested. Thanks for posting these and feel free to post up any sale lists here!

7 hours ago, lexicondevil said:

That's cool of you to do that for the guy. I'm looking for a lot of stuff, but judging by what you've posted there may be a chance that he has a copy of Rocks the House lp by Etta James. It's not impossible to find, but if he has a nice clean copy, I'd be interested. Thanks for posting these and feel free to post up any sale lists here!

unfortunately the LPs are far less impressive, no Etta but there may be some more singles from her, ill also keep that in mind should someone sell it to my store I work for

Edited by NapalmBrain

play testing ike & tina's greatest hits on sue, wow this sounds amazing. A little light crackle here and there, but between the NM cover this thing could fetch up to $200 (probably slightly less though given how flooded the market is, albeit worse condition copies for the most part). This is part of the fun part, I can't afford to own these records but just to handle and clean and listen to them is a treat in itself. I Wish Dynamite hadn't dropped so much the cover is basically M, but book value used to be $500 and seems like getting half of that would be lucky at this point. Going to hold off and maybe revisit selling it in a few months or once the $350 one sells

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Soul Slabs is getting reissued on standard black. It just mysteriously appeared on their site, but I'm sure an announcement will follow as the release date says Sept. I thought it was RSD exclusive, but perhaps not. 

https://www.coleminerecords.com/collections/lp/products/soulslabs

I got both those Remined reissues as well and just pre-ordered the third they  announced (Dave Hamilton). Along with The Dip limited clear 45. I friggin' love this label! I think I have five copies of the Soul Scratch 45 (and I think the band has a couple copies left!). Last they told me, they had four. 

https://www.soulscratchband.com/shop

I seriously thought you were joking didn't know this was rare shit pretty sure I let one go for like $10-15 recently at the store oh well, happened before with eagles hell freezes over and 13th floor elevators easter everywhere hate learning the hard way but at least someone got a deal and will probably be back

19 hours ago, NapalmBrain said:

I seriously thought you were joking didn't know this was rare shit pretty sure I let one go for like $10-15 recently at the store oh well, happened before with eagles hell freezes over and 13th floor elevators easter everywhere hate learning the hard way but at least someone got a deal and will probably be back

haha, if you're handing them out for $10 count me in. i'm hoping that a US pressing exists, but just hasn't been added to discogs, and hopefully i'll stumble upon it. in the meantime, i'm grabbing the cassette.

what's interesting is that george thorogood is also the baddest motherfucker in greece of all places. 

Just now, WAXXX said:

haha, if you're handing them out for $10 count me in. i'm hoping that a US pressing exists, but just hasn't been added to discogs, and hopefully i'll stumble upon it. in the meantime, i'm grabbing the cassette.

what's interesting is that george thorogood is also the baddest motherfucker in greece of all places. 

if its on the floor and priced its yours but I bet its gone if I flubbed it was awhile back

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, docbronze said:

Does anyone in here know of Gloria Barnes' Uptown getting reissued for RSD Black Friday?

Yep, we'll be reissuing it. It won't be on the official list, as it's an unofficial title, but we're super excited about it. Also will be reissuing this 45 at the same time:

https://www.discogs.com/Gloria-Barnes-Old-Before-My-Time-Ill-Call-You-Back-Later/release/3029836

The project has been in the works for a loooonnnggg time, I can't wait to finally get these in!

1 hour ago, ColemineRecords said:

Yep, we'll be reissuing it. It won't be on the official list, as it's an unofficial title, but we're super excited about it. Also will be reissuing this 45 at the same time:

https://www.discogs.com/Gloria-Barnes-Old-Before-My-Time-Ill-Call-You-Back-Later/release/3029836

The project has been in the works for a loooonnnggg time, I can't wait to finally get these in!

Huge kudos to you good folks. A rare record that is even better than it is rare.