SOUL, FUNK, and BLUES Record Thread

It admittedly was a whiff on my part, but that is the standard deal with my little label.

I can't really afford to do much more than that and risk having 100s of copies of LPs sitting in my basement. It's happened before (anyone want to buy a Left & Right or New Boss record?? lol)

This band was rec'd by a friend who is buds with one of the dudes in the band. I went in blind and figured 100 was a safe bet.

Didn't expect it to take off like it did. I actually tried to contact the plant about beefing up the order - zero response. Part of the ongoing issue I'm having...

Edited by warhenrecords

53 minutes ago, warhenrecords said:

It admittedly was a whiff on my part, but that is the standard deal with my little label.

I can't really afford to do much more than that and risk having 100s of copies of LPs sitting in my basement. It's happened before (anyone want to buy a Left & Right or New Boss record?? lol)

This band was rec'd by a friend who is buds with one of the dudes in the band. I went in blind and figured 100 was a safe bet.

Didn't expect it to take off like it did. I actually tried to contact the plant about beefing up the order - zero response. Part of the ongoing issue I'm having...

Planning on doing more, but will be going through a different plant altogether. Have a few other projects in the works right now, but will be circling back on this one for sure.

Yeah, the Delvon record sold out fairly quickly and that was 1,000. It's pretty cool that you got to release this. So, will this be hand numbered or anything special to differentiate it from a future black pressing?

Benny Spellman (from Pensacola) had two hits while in New Orleans working with Allen Toussiant. Those songs "Fortune Teller" and "Lipstick Traces" were crossover hits. This song also features Toussiant on production. Not as stand out, but I picked it up here cheaply.

https://www.discogs.com/Benny-Spellman-Sinner-Girl-If-You-Love-Her/release/5479130

• 3 weeks later...

GONE. Keep checking though. I got mine for the same price on ebay. Ten bucks over retail was worth not standing in a long line.

Jump on this quick. Delvon Live 34.99 https://www.ebay.com/itm/Delvon-Lamarr-Organ-Trio-Live-at-KEXP-Limited-RED-vinyl-RSD-Soul-2018-NEW/192518385932?hash=item2cd2fd710c:g:p9AAAOSwqDha3IBz

Edited by lexicondevil

27 minutes ago, lexicondevil said:

GONE. Keep checking though. I got mine for the same price on ebay. Ten bucks over retail was worth not standing in a long line.

Jump on this quick. Delvon Live 34.99 https://www.ebay.com/itm/Delvon-Lamarr-Organ-Trio-Live-at-KEXP-Limited-RED-vinyl-RSD-Soul-2018-NEW/192518385932?hash=item2cd2fd710c:g:p9AAAOSwqDha3IBz

https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/678673766

On 3/28/2018 at 6:46 PM, warhenrecords said:

was told by the plant to day that the true loves lps are scheduled to ship next week.

will be getting these out to you fine, patient people as fast as humanly possible.

Kicking myself for missing this. If by any slim-chance any fall through the cracks please let me know.

Also, if anyone is dying for a Delvon Lamarr Organ Trio Live at KEXP (or Close But No Cigar) I may be able to hit up Plaid Room/Colemine for a copy or two. I know they held plenty back for the store, but they were going fast yesterday. I'd just have to ask if they're cool with selling me more copies. 

Edited by serum7

Merchant Vinyl yanking my chain about these. STILL.

Have been told for like 5 weeks that they are shipping, most recently they told me that they were in the mail last Monday (a week ago). No official shipping confirmation, no tracking and now, no response when I get in touch to inquire about either.

And no package.

Never use this company.

Edited by warhenrecords

If you're ever in New Orleans, the first shop you should visit is called Domino Sound Record Shack in the Marigny neighborhood. It's small but has a shit ton of music which includes a great many local/regional 45's by a plethora of artists. It seems most of my 45 buying comes directly from them.

Here is a R&B tune by a great NO artists called Snooks Eaglin. He was blind and still could play guitar like a madman. This tune has a killer guitar break that really reinforces that if Snooks had made more R&B tunes rather than standard blues I think he would be a bigger deal to people outside of the city.

https://www.discogs.com/Ford-Eaglin-Yours-Truly-Nobody-Knows/release/9339846

On 4/23/2018 at 6:49 PM, warhenrecords said:

Merchant Vinyl yanking my chain about these. STILL.

Have been told for like 5 weeks that they are shipping, most recently they told me that they were in the mail last Monday (a week ago). No official shipping confirmation, no tracking and now, no response when I get in touch to inquire about either.

And no package.

Never use this company.

Maybe start over with a more reliable pressing plant? I know you'd be at the bottom of the pile, but it doesn't sound like anything good is happening with this plant. You could also press more, if budget permits. If this happens, I would just ask you differentiate the first 100 by using a different color or other identification for us collectors who were lucky to snag one. Either way, hope things work out better for you. 

12 hours ago, warhenrecords said:

I've been to Domino Sound.

Great shop & very cool label as well.

Also that store across the street that only sells cook books is awesome.

Ha. I've lived here since most of 2005 and never been to the cook book store. 

I never even thought about mentioning the label.

Not bad. I mean, I'm all for more artists coming out with a real retro soul sound, not like polished crap from artists like Bruno Mars. I just find that with a lot of these singers they are missing some fire. Even singers like Sam Cooke, who crooned in a smoother soul style, still brought some crackle and fire to his style, when it was needed. I really want a new Sam Cooke or Otis Redding. Luckily, we were blessed to have Charles Bradley for a short period. Even with Durand Jones, he is currently missing that fire that made the greats great. I think Durand and this guy, Leon, COULD technically achieve that sound that cuts deep, but they just haven't. I wish I could be a co-producer in a recording session for these guys and try to get them there. I'd probably just end up annoying them. :P

On 5/4/2018 at 11:54 AM, lexicondevil said:

Not bad. I mean, I'm all for more artists coming out with a real retro soul sound, not like polished crap from artists like Bruno Mars. I just find that with a lot of these singers they are missing some fire. Even singers like Sam Cooke, who crooned in a smoother soul style, still brought some crackle and fire to his style, when it was needed. I really want a new Sam Cooke or Otis Redding. Luckily, we were blessed to have Charles Bradley for a short period. Even with Durand Jones, he is currently missing that fire that made the greats great. I think Durand and this guy, Leon, COULD technically achieve that sound that cuts deep, but they just haven't. I wish I could be a co-producer in a recording session for these guys and try to get them there. I'd probably just end up annoying them. :P

There's so much great music that already exists it's so hard to have an interest in newer stuff like this. It's probably why I don't listen to a ton of modern music anymore. You can pick up a comp and hear Zambian afrobeat that sounds like nothing else and it is the freshest sound you've never known you needed. 

Got one of my biggest wants yesterday, I had to pay $75 plus shipping, but it was a white label audition copy of Irma Thomas "Wish Someone Would Care" LP in mono. The cover just has light wear and the audition stamp on the back and the LP is almost mint, can't believe it made it this long in this shape and some lucky bastard before me either the seller or a past owner found it at a thrift shop. On my second spin already, this is an incredible album and the sound quality on this copy is top notch. I'm a very happy collector today, I have been hunting this record for 8 years and lost ebay auctions for more than I paid for stock copies in the past