SOUL, FUNK, and BLUES Record Thread

• 10 months later...

• 5 months later...

That was a burner. Need to track down a nice copy of that one. A good mellow track to end a set. I always have in the back of my mind this idea that I will DJ again one day, so I keep collecting soul/funk/rare groove 45's to put in my 45 record carrying box. I picture myself rolling into a place with my little box and just f&*kin' the dance floor up with my jams.

I'd like to get more into funk but it seems like half the time I come across something great it turns out the LP is craaaazy expensive.

This week it was Lee Moses. That California Dreamin cover is legit though.

It can be a very expensive habit. Lots of crate/garage diggin' has made my collection nice. And that Lee Moses is a bad one to want. I somehow missed out on the reissue and even that is pricey.

Lots of reissues of classics out there. This is an often overlooked gem(not my auction btw)- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Earth-Wind-And-Fire-The-Need-Of-Love-ORIG-1971-Green-Label-LP-CLEAN-W-Sticker-/391003937459?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item5b09a69ab3

Even better is their first record. This one is a reissue and it's in Australia. I'm sure you could find an original or reissue for a good price- http://www.ebay.com/itm/EARTH-WIND-FIRE-Earth-Wind-And-Fire-180-Gram-Vinyl-LP-Brand-New-stil-/231162421268?pt=AU_Records&hash=item35d25aa014

I'm not a big fan of later EW&F, but their early stuff is funky as hell.

I'd like to get more into funk but it seems like half the time I come across something great it turns out the LP is craaaazy expensive.

This week it was Lee Moses. That California Dreamin cover is legit though.

Just go buy the first three Meters LP's. They're the fathers of funk.

Just got tickets to see C.W. Stoneking in May.

His album Gon' Boogaloo is one of my favorites of 2014. Everybody who is into old time spooky hokum bluesy & jazzy stuff should check this out. Really really great! His previous album Jungle Blues is an absolute masterpiece!!

0602547021984_600.jpg

1301411442_c.w.-stoneking-jungle-blues-2

Very interesting stuff. Sounds like music you'd find on a rare 78. I need to let it absorb. Thanks for sharing.

Just go buy the first three Meters LP's. They're the fathers of funk.

Thanks man. Will keep on the lookout. I've obviously heard some of the songs before, at least in sample form because it is really ringing a bell. I'm not sweating the Lee Moses or anything, was just an example of why I don't buy much. Half the time it turns out to be impossible to get!

Second the Meters recommendation. Anything with Allen Toussaint producing or performing is good too. I got his Southern Nights album last year for Christmas and I return to it often. 

I bought the Shuggie Otis RSD album a few years ago and that really holds up too. 

There's this Les McCann album from the mid-70's, kind of jazz/funk fusion. This song has always been a funky standout to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKNF25K7PCw

Toussaint produced so much for NOLA artists, being from here. He was an incredible producer. There's this great two disc CD/LP of his production credits. It's great:

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Allen-Toussaint-Everything-I-Do-Gonh-Be-Funky-The-Hit-Songs-Productions-1957-1978/release/4479765

• 4 months later...

Sorry for bumping an older thread but I'm looking for some blues suggestions. I've been on a blues kick lately but don't know much about it and pretty much have been listening to just B.B. King and Muddy Waters or Muddy Waters Radio on Pandora haha

I love these albums:

B.B. King - Live at the Regal

Muddy Waters - Hard Again

B.B. King - Completely Well

Muddy Waters - The Best of Muddy Waters

B.B. King - My Kind of Blues

Jimmy Rogers All Stars

Albums I didn't particularly like that I thought I would:

Robert Johnson - King of the Delta Blues Singers

B.B. King & Eric Clapton - Riding with the King

B.B. King - Blues Summit

Lazy Lester - True Blues

Any suggestions? I'm mostly looking for new artists and great albums to check out. Thanks!

Sorry for bumping an older thread but I'm looking for some blues suggestions. I've been on a blues kick lately but don't know much about it and pretty much have been listening to just B.B. King and Muddy Waters or Muddy Waters Radio on Pandora haha

I love these albums:

Jimmy Rogers All Stars

B.B. King - Blues Summit

Lazy Lester - True Blues

Any suggestions? I'm mostly looking for new artists and great albums to check out. Thanks!

I'd suggest revisiting the Robert Johnson record ;)

It's not for everyone, and doesn't have the sound you've been listening to... but check out Memphis Minnie.

I love these albums:

Jimmy Rogers All Stars

B.B. King - Blues Summit

Lazy Lester - True Blues

I like this by Son House http://www.amazon.com/Original-Delta-Blues-SON-HOUSE/dp/B0012GMUW2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1433429374&sr=8-2&keywords=son+house , but I don't know if it is on vinyl. Love when he does, "John the Revelator". It's Delta blues, so if you weren't into the Robert Johnson record you may not be that much into this. I will say that this was a grower for me, as I was listening to more electric blues when I came across it.

I like this by Son House http://www.amazon.com/Original-Delta-Blues-SON-HOUSE/dp/B0012GMUW2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1433429374&sr=8-2&keywords=son+house , but I don't know if it is on vinyl. Love when he does, "John the Revelator". It's Delta blues, so if you weren't into the Robert Johnson record you may not be that much into this. I will say that this was a grower for me, as I was listening to more electric blues when I came across it.

Sweet, I'll check it out. Thanks!

You like Muddy? In trying to 'reinvent' himself, he did this more psychedelic sounding version of many of his songs in the latter part of his career. The album is called Electric Mud. The version of "I Just Want To Make Love To You" is better here than anywhere else:

But, the band backing him up were this equally awesome band called Rotary Connection that Minnie Riperton was in. They were the closest thing to psychedelia that soul ever got as far as I can tell: