SOUL, FUNK, and BLUES Record Thread

• 1 month later...

A great deal on an awesome album if anyone's interested

Muddy Waters - The Best of - Currently $9.45 + $4 shipping, but I've been watching this for 2 weeks now and it's gone down a dollar since then. It goes down a few cents each day, if you want to wait and keep watching to see how low it will go. Both Rarewaves and Zoverstocks have it listed and the prices for both are dropping together.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00SN5668E/ref=sr_1_1_twi_lp__1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1467734310&sr=8-1&keywords=muddy+waters+best+of+vinyl

Um, so this thread is the bomb. Glad it was bumped, never seen it before.

Big Soul guy here. Slowly picking up more and more stuff here and there.

For old school, Sam Cooke is probably my favorite. Love anything Staple Singers-related (Pops, Mavis, etc..). Love Eddie Hinton. Love James Brown/JBs/Fred Wesley/etc.. Love Funkadelic a lot as well. Super cosmic.

Syl Johnson is a huge one for me as well. Dude rules hard if you're unfamiliar.

Been really into soul comps a lot lately. Everyone should check out the Eccentric Soul series from The Numero Group. Lots of amazing gems with stellar information, artwork, photography, packaging. That whole label is amazing. In addition to the Eccentric Soul series, they also have a bunch of other series' as well - Good God!, Cult Cargo, Local Customs, tons of other great reissues. lots of incredible stuff on there, and plenty of non-soul/funk stuff as well. Really wonderful label that has taken a LOT of my money in the past year or two.

Tramp Records is another hot spot for tons of great forgotten funk gems. SO much great, gritty funk on there. Would order more stuff from them if they weren't located in Germany, but I hop on the Bandcamp page frequently just to stream.

Also the Souvenirs of the Soul Clap comps from Jonathan Toubin via Norton Records are super sick.

And man, Somethingvinyl, that track you posted above... That comp is nasty! Giving it a listen on Youtube right now and am digging the hell out of it. Thanks for the share.

Edited by warhenrecords

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

Colemine Records out of Ohio is one of my favorites for new soul and funk.  They've put out some albums but I mostly buy 45s from them.

Damn, that Colemine label has some funky shit going on. It's going to take me a while to figure out what I need to get from there. Soul/Funk and 70's-80's punk are the only genres that I like to buy 45s. Thanks!

Found a bunch of new stuff recently. Had a G+ copy of this and found a much  cleaner copy of this late 50's stroller recently:

Elmo[re] James was a recent pick-up. Granted it's blues and slightly outside of my collecting, but any time I can pick up original shit like this I do it:

This early 60's R&B great:

Edited by somethingvinyl

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like I must have a 45 by him somewhere in my boxes. It's been a while since I've looked through all of my 45's. On another note, I'm looking forward to seeing Miss Sharon Jones when it starts streaming. I hope to see her again live. Wife just bought us tickets to Charles Bradley.

19 minutes ago, somethingvinyl said:

No, and it's great!

But that guy that runs Funky Delicacies/Tuff City is a total rip off fucker. His name is Aaron Fuchs. He doesn't license music and doesn't pay artists. He ripped off a ton of New Orleans people. He's a grade A fuckboy. Releases shit without permission.

Boooooo. That sucks. I guess that's why all his releases say "unofficial" on discogs :/

8 hours ago, somethingvinyl said:

Yeah, probably. I don't know how he gets around it, except all of his stuff is obscure and most of the artists he takes advantage of are poor old black people who don't have the means to pursue legal action. 

Damn. If accurate, that is severely fucked up. There's a huge difference between looking for an artist or their heir or their estate, such as it may be, and still publishing something if you cannot find them, but outright stealing something...that is unacceptable. There are all kinds of gray areas in the reissuing game, but that is as black and white as it gets.

1 hour ago, docbronze said:

Damn. If accurate, that is severely fucked up. There's a huge difference between looking for an artist or their heir or their estate, such as it may be, and still publishing something if you cannot find them, but outright stealing something...that is unacceptable. There are all kinds of gray areas in the reissuing game, but that is as black and white as it gets.

It's definitely not cut and dry. But you know, where there's smoke. Here's a couple articles:

http://www.unkut.com/2014/02/is-aaron-fuchs-really-the-ultimate-bloodsucker-of-hip-hop/

http://www.offbeat.com/articles/whose-fault-is-it/

I don't know much about his dealings in rap. But what he did to New Orleans artists, Smokey Johnson, Wardell Quezergue, and the amazing, late, Eddie Bo was sell them on letting him have rights to their music and then stiffing them when they should get royalties. 

1 hour ago, somethingvinyl said:

It's definitely not cut and dry. But you know, where there's smoke. Here's a couple articles:

http://www.unkut.com/2014/02/is-aaron-fuchs-really-the-ultimate-bloodsucker-of-hip-hop/

http://www.offbeat.com/articles/whose-fault-is-it/

I don't know much about his dealings in rap. But what he did to New Orleans artists, Smokey Johnson, Wardell Quezergue, and the amazing, late, Eddie Bo was sell them on letting him have rights to their music and then stiffing them when they should get royalties. 

Brutal, man. Thanks for posting about this.

3 hours ago, lexicondevil said:

Yeah, that stinks that the guy is ripping off artists, some of who probably are unaware it is even happening. I'm not buying shit from guy. Got my ticket to Charles Bradley AND Sharon Jones. Can't wait. Funkin' it up!

Ditto, Lex. I saw CB and SJ already this year and I still have one more SJ show to go in September!