PO: The National "trouble will find me"

7 hours ago, Derek™ said:

It's about time.  They posted that teaser and changed their profile photo about 55 minutes ago; that is, at midnight (EST).  Coincidentally the teaser references both sleep and dreams... how likely is it that we wake up to a single and pre-orders tomorrow?

I think Friday is when everything will be announced 

2 hours ago, drewberinger said:

I think Friday is when everything will be announced 

Well.  That is simply too far off, for me.

But really, are music announcements made on Fridays?  Ever?  I feel like Tuesdays and even Wednesdays feel really common for official announcements and POs.  I get that actual music gets released on Fridays, but I don't recall a PO dropping on a Friday in quite some time.  Oh well.  It at least works out very nicely for my checking account.

18 minutes ago, timsimmons said:

I'm over this teaser stuff. Just announce albums. 

No way man.  You kind of wanted a new National album after 4 years.  But 4 years and a week of cryptic sound bites and promotional images will seal the deal.

It makes sense from the marketer's point of view but I'm not a fan of cryptic, distorted teaser videos that have distorted ambient music. I'd prefer to see a new press photo of the band or a 15 second clip of one of the twins playing a guitar track in the studio ala Boxer. Or even just a screenshot of a note that says "New album coming soon!" All that said, I love the National and am glad they're back.

6 minutes ago, jonnywreck said:

Such buzzkills, the lot of you! I figure bands probably just think it's fun, and it becomes a part of the creative output as a whole. And they definitely have to enjoy seeing people champing at the bit for new music.

Maybe it would be more fun if all these bands didn't do the exact same stuff. They just change their social media avatars and tease sound bits, and eventually put out a terrible lyric video when the pre-order go live. 

I guess it's not any worse than the BS Glassjaw and Brand New do. Every label isn't going to operate like Fat Wreck who just makes an album announcement with a date and shares a couple full songs leading up to the release.

IMO,  a good 10-30 second teaser shows enough to give the listener a solid idea of what to expect from a song, so they can get pumped. Maybe include one line of vocals or a piece of the main musical melody. When it is a nondescript instrumental piece, you are only going to get its context in hindsight after you hear the full song. Unless the 'identity' of the whole album is in this more discordant and ambient sound?

There's a ton of logistics that go into new releases, whether it's ensuring pressing plants are available, setting up and then selling tour dates, or putting the final touches on the product. All that takes months, not days or weeks. 

I'll take the teaser approach with the vinyl available on album release day, over randomly dropping a full album and then having to wait 4 months to have it on wax after I have moved on...

it would be a great run, but why would they decide that before going into the album cycle. 

Also in this day and age, whats the point? Why not just take an indefinite amount of time between albums. 

Also, also, source?

1 hour ago, Canuckle said:

There's a ton of logistics that go into new releases, whether it's ensuring pressing plants are available, setting up and then selling tour dates, or putting the final touches on the product. All that takes months, not days or weeks. 

I'll take the teaser approach with the vinyl available on album release day, over randomly dropping a full album and then having to wait 4 months to have it on wax after I have moved on...

I'll take them pressing it w/o anyone knowing and then dropping everything at once.

4 hours ago, timsimmons said:

it would be a great run, but why would they decide that before going into the album cycle. 

Also in this day and age, whats the point? Why not just take an indefinite amount of time between albums. 

Also, also, source?

Take it for what it's worth. Unfortunately I can't reveal my source, and hopefully they change their minds, but apparently they went into this record with that in mind. 

Not to be a total bloodbuzzkill, but if the retail variant is white and the 4AD variant is blue... it seems like that weird "house" icon could be the new album art, perhaps?  The one they changed their Facebook photo.  I've always thought their prior albums had fantastic art that each stood strong on their own.  That new design is a little too minimal and makes me think of The National meets a Monopoly board.  Hoping they've got something fancier in store but won't complain either way.