Should I buy this Marantz 6100 turntable?

One of my local record shops has a used Marantz 6100 turntable with a Stanton 500 cartridge for sale for $199. I put it on hold and the owner said he would do it for $180 no tax. He said it works and that I could test it but I didn't have time today. Is this a fair price? Are there any issues with this certain model that I should be worried about? This will be my first TT upgrade. I currently have a Sony PS-LX300USB so I am pretty eager to purchase. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Or should I just save a little longer and buy a new table like a rega rp1?

If the RP-1 is something you think you're going to want, I agree that you should save the money rather than just bridging the gap by spending now.  The 6100 is a good table and that's a fair price based on what I've sold them for and what I see them go for on a regular basis, and you would undoubtedly be happy with it, but if you've got a bug for one particular table I'd hold out.

I don't LOVE the RP1. It's a good TT, but it's upgrade city. I don't like the platter and subplatter. Don't get me started on the OM5e. I don't understand how anyone can use it (the OM5e). Every one I have heard produces terrible IGD. The white belt? just include the damn thing if it's that much better.

The vinyl revival has driven both new and used hardware prices up as well, so I don't blame anyone for not wanting to scour the shops and online for weeks only to come up emptyhanded or with a lemon, but just know that the RP1 has its share of flaws as well.

It's because everyone who buys an RP1 should buy an RP1 Performance Pack as well. No one should play records with an OM5e. But there are so many worse cartridges on these forums. And if you are that butt-hurt about all the other things (like platter...), you should go ahead and upgrade to an RP3. These are still hand-built tables in England...they can only do so much for so little cost. And I can also assure you that Rega's prices are not based upon the "vinyl revival".

And here's a way to never worry about getting a lemon: buy a new turntable from a legitimate dealer. There. Now you don't have to scour online for weeks, and all your problems will be taken care of (should something occur).

Or... If the OM5e is a sticking point go with the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon. The 2M Red is a fine upgrade for a beginner. And to be honest, all tables in that price range are going to have flaws.

To the OP: I upgraded from that same Sony to the Debut III and have been very happy. Have had it for a couple years and will be upgrading again in a few months. While I am a huge fan of the old Marantz receivers and amps, I'd save up for a new intro table from a well known manufacturer, such as Rega or Pro-Ject.

It's because everyone who buys an RP1 should buy an RP1 Performance Pack as well. No one should play records with an OM5e. But there are so many worse cartridges on these forums. And if you are that butt-hurt about all the other things (like platter...), you should go ahead and upgrade to an RP3. These are still hand-built tables in England...they can only do so much for so little cost. And I can also assure you that Rega's prices are not based upon the "vinyl revival".

And here's a way to never worry about getting a lemon: buy a new turntable from a legitimate dealer. There. Now you don't have to scour online for weeks, and all your problems will be taken care of (should something occur).

I was wondering why there is such a condescending attitude in your post, until I saw some of your other posts, and figured that you are either a huge Rega fanboy or maybe even a dealer/salesman. Both of which are fine, but there is no need for the attitude. I went ahead and bolded all the terms that you wrote that support my use of the term "upgrade city". I'm not butt-hurt about the platter. I helped a buddy install a brand new AT440MLa on his RP1, it sounded great and aced the tracking tests on my set up LP, What bugged me however, was I couldn't properly level the TT, because no matter where I put my level on the platter, I got a different reading. The platter was not flat.

Many people on this board, including the OP, are asking for help getting a turntable in the $200 or less range, I feel like a used, reliable brand table is a better bet than a AT LP60 or an Ion, yet not everyone lives in an area that lists lots of turntables on craigslist, thrift stores, or "a legitimate dealer". Many people on this board have complained, even recently, about not being to find anything on craigslist or second hand stores, and when they do, they are over priced (see the OP), thanks to the recent vinyl resurgence. 5 years ago many of these used 70's and 80's tables were being sold at a very small fraction of what people ask for them today. How are you possibly going to assure me that Rega's current prices aren't effected by the vinyl and turntable resurgence? (I'll say it again) the RP1 is a good TT, but for someone who is really scratching together $450, I think there are are better choices, and based on your bolded statements above, it actually sounds like you agree with me.

Or... If the OM5e is a sticking point go with the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon. The 2M Red is a fine upgrade for a beginner. And to be honest, all tables in that price range are going to have flaws.

To the OP: I upgraded from that same Sony to the Debut III and have been very happy. Have had it for a couple years and will be upgrading again in a few months. While I am a huge fan of the old Marantz receivers and amps, I'd save up for a new intro table from a well known manufacturer, such as Rega or Pro-Ject.

Yeah just as far as the Marantz go, it's more of an aesthetic thing for me. I actually ended up finding a vintage Pioneer PL-12D at an estate sale for $13. It works perfectly but could probably use a tune up. I am pretty savvy with other audio equipment but when it comes to tuning turntables I am still in the dark. However, the Pioneer I found did satisfy that vintage need I had. It will definitely hold me over and give me enough time to research new turntables to upgrade to.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Great find for $13, but you should definitely pay someone to get it completely checked out and tuned up. And definitely get a new cartridge on there or at least a new Congrats.

What would you recommend upgrading the cartridge to? It has a pickering cartridge that is gold colored and it looks like a newer stylus.

(sorry cellphone pic)

photo2_zpse5e83ebc.jpg

I mean it sound pretty good given the price and the amount of dust that was caked on the outside.

What all is involved in "tuning" a turntable? I am still going to get it tuned I am just curious as to what actually goes into tuning a turntable.