TWIABP / BWM 2016 April Fools NOW (Dumb Tapes, Dumb Shirts, Dumb Book, Dumb Socks, Fuck Trump Fork)

• 2 weeks later...

47 minutes ago, copelandkid said:

wait, what?

nicole (d. shanholtzer) was kicked out of the band late last year for unknown private reasons, as well as multiple bands (TWIABP, For Everest, Skull Kid) quietly dissociating themselves with BWM, but no public statement nor reasoning for all this has been publicised/released yet.

it's all very hazy and i like her a lot so i'm very concerned over what happened. i know her mental condition is poor and she's been in and out of hospital recently just nothing discerning has come to light. the bands whom disconnected from BWM didn't say why and there's really no way to know what happened yet.

either way it's pretty certain now that BWM isn't associated with TWIABP anymore, at the very least. BWM is still running, albeit slowly.

34 minutes ago, deer said:

nicole (d. shanholtzer) was kicked out of the band late last year for unknown private reasons, as well as multiple bands (TWIABP, For Everest, Skull Kid) quietly dissociating themselves with BWM, but no public statement nor reasoning for all this has been publicised/released yet.

it's all very hazy and i like her a lot so i'm very concerned over what happened. i know her mental condition is poor and she's been in and out of hospital recently just nothing discerning has come to light. the bands whom disconnected from BWM didn't say why and there's really no way to know what happened yet.

either way it's pretty certain now that BWM isn't associated with TWIABP anymore, at the very least. BWM is still running, albeit slowly.

A STATEMENT FROM KATIE DVORAK and THE WORLD IS A BEAUTIFUL PLACE & I AM NO LONGER AFRAID TO DIE: In light of all of the recent call-outs that have been made against abusers in the music community, there has been a resurgence of people wanting to know what happened with our ex guitarist, who we kicked out last year. I have been trying to avoid making a public statement not for her sake, but for my own. My life isn't anyone else's business if I don't want it to be, and absolutely no one is entitled to details about my personal life that I don't want to give out. I understand that people want to know why they should avoid any one person, or that people are just straight up curious, but I refuse to put myself in a position that I don't want to be in just to satiate the wants of strangers. - Katie

Spoiler

yeah, I definitely heard that statement from Katie, but it doesn't really explain what is causing all the other bands to split from BWM. i get that's the point, to tell people she doesn't want to explain it. i can understand her wanting to distance herself from her ex and from that drama.

but it feels really shitty to see nicole's label getting flak and it makes me question if i'm in the wrong for supporting her still. if there's a reason for other people/bands to dissociate from bwm, it feels like at least that much of it could be explained, i guess, especially since plenty of other bands are still on (or attempting to maintain) relations with bwm/nicole.

i'm hoping it's just an intrapersonal thing and not anything to be worried about. but nicole's label has been really rough lately, what with skull kid pulling the press and with the TIOMT assault info coming about right after a second press was teased (that's a lot of money spent with no easy way to make back). i guess i'm just worried. hoping that i'm not in the wrong for supporting her/her label. it's impossible to know.

('vent' in spoiler tags in case it's just too irrelevant or too many words)

Recently after waiting 5 months and 3 weeks for a couple records I finally got a shipping notice. Of course the shipment was addressed to someone who is not me. I tried emailing them but got no reply, my 6 month PayPal protection window was closing so I had to open a claim. I felt pretty shitty about it but I'm pretty certain I would have never seen that order. Hopefully the label rebounds.

2 minutes ago, andy. said:

From what I was told, Nicole was very abusive.

i did fear those words. and i will take a step back from the label and from her, until/unless some statement is said. it sucks to hear that someone you trusted was (or is suspected to be) abusive, so i will listen to those who say as much. considering the gravity of the situation, it's not out of the question.

Honestly, I'm completely unaware of the situation at hand aside from Nicole's posts on Facebook during the breakup. However, I've been through awful shit and never abused anyone (I don't think). I have been mentally abused and assaulted by an ex who (mostly) had no idea how awful she was. I'm not taking sides. I'll support TWIABP until I can't and the same goes for any other band or label. I don't NOT listen to the Beatles because so-and-so may have beaten women. I still like MJ. Etc.

15 hours ago, deer said:
  Reveal hidden contents

yeah, I definitely heard that statement from Katie, but it doesn't really explain what is causing all the other bands to split from BWM. i get that's the point, to tell people she doesn't want to explain it. i can understand her wanting to distance herself from her ex and from that drama.

but it feels really shitty to see nicole's label getting flak and it makes me question if i'm in the wrong for supporting her still. if there's a reason for other people/bands to dissociate from bwm, it feels like at least that much of it could be explained, i guess, especially since plenty of other bands are still on (or attempting to maintain) relations with bwm/nicole.

i'm hoping it's just an intrapersonal thing and not anything to be worried about. but nicole's label has been really rough lately, what with skull kid pulling the press and with the TIOMT assault info coming about right after a second press was teased (that's a lot of money spent with no easy way to make back). i guess i'm just worried. hoping that i'm not in the wrong for supporting her/her label. it's impossible to know.

('vent' in spoiler tags in case it's just too irrelevant or too many words)

Wait what happened with TIOMT? I just saw that the repress isn't on the BWM store right now. Honestly one of my favorite bands right now, Anthony's solo stuff as well. Hope it doesn't affect new material.

15 hours ago, MCDELTAT said:

Wait what happened with TIOMT? I just saw that the repress isn't on the BWM store right now. Honestly one of my favorite bands right now, Anthony's solo stuff as well. Hope it doesn't affect new material.

If you head over to TIOMT's Facebook (can't copy and paste it, thanks work filters) you can read about the whole thing. Sounds like they may possibly be done for a while...

• 1 month later...

To add to the drama, looks like broken worlds twitter is gone and Molly Drag posted this yesterday on facebook:

Back in October I finished recording my latest album "Whatever Reason" - at this time, I was promised 300 copies of it on vinyl to be released as a bundle with t-shirts that I over 10 artists/friends of mine were kind enough and worked for free to draw up. I was assured by Broken World Media that the vinyl and the t-shirts were paid for, aside from that I was promised that college radio, and all press related issues would be handled by BWM, none of that ended up happening - I myself handled all the public related emails, etc...

Come December, and almost barely any word from BWM I was starting to wonder why nothing was being done to support my album. Not too mention I was hearing a couple of things from others to deter me from continuing, but I was already under the impression that the gears were moving, and that these physicals were paid for and the album would be released by January (which most of you know now is not the case), and being who I am gave BWM the benefit of the doubt here. I will admit I did for too long, and I feel terrible about it and very upset at myself at this time... not to mention I have received no royalties for my 2nd record (the first BWM released for me, "Tethered Rendering"). Come March and my album already being done for 5 months I decided just to release it myself, which I did.. but I could off pitched it to other labels or actually could of had a gameplan in my own right, which is another regret towards myself that I have....

I no longer have any association with Broken World Media (BWM), and will work to get royalties for distribution on my second record to someday come to me, the writer, and purchaser of the masters of said album... And I ask that you please do not purchase my music off the BWM bandcamp or any other sites they have posted it on for sale.

As for whoever pre-ordered vinyl that doesn't exist (15 people) - I have been told that you will be refunded in full, and if you are not in the next coming months please contact me ([email protected]) anyway that works for you, I apologize on their behalf....

I am willing to re-release my new record on another label if you, or anyone you know might be able to help me out, and I am almost finished recording a new EP....

I feel used, and that I wasted so much time.
I will try to move forward,

Michael

5 hours ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Sounds like D tried to keep BWM afloat without the steady TWIABP income and couldn't. Sucks for the bands. Sucks that it was handled this way.

Kinda/probably true. Honestly there were few bands I was interested in on the label. Bought all TWIABP stuff, TIOMT, Posture and Grizzly, and Deer Leap. And when that last Deer Leap album took almost 8 months to get to me, I was definitely going to wait on other orders. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've had trouble listening to this band for the past couple of months since all of this stuff started leaking out. Not in the "ew they're problematic" way, I just don't have the emotional fortitude to try and listen "around" the issues, if that makes sense. It's never been easy for me to separate the artist from the art, but I don't begrudge anyone who can.

TWIABP were my favorite band for years. I felt some degree of closeness with their music that I don't often feel. The notion that one or more of them, people I respected and trusted, could have been consistently abusive is deeply upsetting. That probably sounds weird given that we don't know what happened, but something did happen, and now we're in the dark. Maybe that's worse?

I dunno, keep vinyl-ing as usual. I wasn't sure where else to post this. Shit sucks.

Looks like Nicole deleted her Facebook.  A day or two ago she posted about how a group (assuming TWIABP) of people have been using their social capital for a year to ruin their life or something along those lines.  It got pretty dark and she said something along the lines of them not being happy until she is dead, and not being able to go out in public.  Hope she is okay.

Edited by parkinglot

52 minutes ago, parkinglot said:

Looks like Nicole deleted her Facebook.  A day or two ago she posted about how a group (assuming TWIABP) of people have been using their social capital for a year to ruin their life or something along those lines.  It got pretty dark and she said something along the lines of them not being happy until she is dead, and not being able to go out in public.  Hope she is okay.

Still on IG, seems fine. Saw tool, so that's rad.

• 4 weeks later...