[PO] Deafheaven // Sunbather – 10 Year Remaster

44 minutes ago, Freki said:

Meh. That's not the same font. And there are plenty of typefaces of that style, Deafheaven doesn't own it. So I guess the real crime is stacking the letters like she did. Probably because she thought she could sway some blackgaze fans to her sweet, mellow, singer-songwriter vibes.

Well, Deafheaven – specifically Nick Steinhardt – created a custom font that's essentially a reduced version of Didot:

eeec8433c6eadab7ceb036f04f83aaf8.jpg

Whoever did the font on that Rita album just opted to not reduce it as much, but still went through the effort to deviate it at a more minimal angle, and stack them in a 3x3 grid.  As best they could, anyway.  I kind of get the point you're trying to make, but it's also like saying that Pink Floyd don't own the rights to triangular prisms or light refraction.

17 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Well, Deafheaven – specifically Nick Steinhardt – created a custom font that's essentially a reduced version of Didot:

eeec8433c6eadab7ceb036f04f83aaf8.jpg

Whoever did the font on that Rita album just opted to not reduce it as much, but still went through the effort to deviate it at a more minimal angle, and stack them in a 3x3 grid.  As best they could, anyway.  I kind of get the point you're trying to make, but it's also like saying that Pink Floyd don't own the rights to triangular prisms or light refraction.

I guess since I've seen that 'overexposed' style so often since grunge typography was all the rage in the late 90's that I don't really associate it with Deafheaven. (At least not to the extent of the prism w/ PF)

On April 13, 2017 at 10:49 AM, Freki said:

I guess since I've seen that 'overexposed' style so often since grunge typography was all the rage in the late 90's that I don't really associate it with Deafheaven. (At least not to the extent of the prism w/ PF)

I would love to hear an elaboration on this. 

• 1 month later...

Holy shitballs thread bump, Batman! 

This article thinkpiece got recently posted and the writer seems to have some very opinionated opinion on DFHVN.  I've been having a very spirited discussion offline about it with a fellow VCer. And a few others. 

http://clrvynt.com/david-hall-metal-op-ed/

1 hour ago, jhulud said:

This article thinkpiece got recently posted and the writer seems to have some very opinionated opinion on DFHVN.  I've been having a very spirited discussion offline about it with a fellow VCer. And a few others. 

I agree with about 1/5th of it, but most of the article sounds like meth and jager fueled ramblings on night two of what will turn into a week long bender. 

Now that's my kind of bump.

Be blind to the conformity that surrounds us. Eyes wide shut, please. Buy. Conform. Don’t criticize. Go inside and eat supper with the pigs. Accept. Blame! Be inclusive for THE SAKE OF SOCIETY! WELCOME ALL CONSUMERS TO THE TABLE. MAKE METAL YOUR IDENTITY. CLICK. BAIT. CLICK. BAIT. MORAL SUPERIORITY THROUGH THINK PIECES!!!!!!! BUY TWO PAIRS OF RAY-BANS, THAT TAKES COURAGE.

tenor.gif

Good read.  Obviously the author is uber butthurt.  Ultimately the article boils down to a rant on selling out.  This is not new.  An old debate IMO.  Apparently DH's Ray-Ban campaign was the straw that broke the author's back.  Whatever, kinda funny to me.  There's also a bit of the 'old man yells at cloud ' sort of thing going on.

The fact is DH caught lightning in a bottle with Sunbather.  It was the right album at the right time.  I remember being blown away the first time I heard 'Dreamhouse' before the album even came out.  It was a quantum leap from their debut.  Surely, the refined and easy on the eyes artwork helped as well.  Deafheaven brings it live too.  They have one of the best drummers and a very charismatic front man.  It's also easy to see why some in the scene would be put off by and/or be jealous of them.

EDIT: Also, he's full of shit when he claims the people who went to see Dinosaur Jr, Pixies, Meat Puppets, etc didn't listen to Nirvana.  That is total horse shit.

Edited by twatay
P.S.

13 hours ago, jhulud said:

so you're bumping this over a shitpost? got it. great convo guys, keep it up 

Yeah, I really hate the idea that any style of music has to stay underground, which is basically what this article is about, the idea that metal should stay an underground phenomenon. Deafheaven does not make their music to sale, they're very passionate about the music they make, they struggle just as much as any other band out there. My proof? I saw them last night at Danzig's Blackest of the Black, they were the 4th band on out of 7th bands, if they're so popular, why did they only have maybe 100 to 200 people actually watching their set, and to be fair the people that were there where not the demographic for Deafheaven, the band's after were Discharge, Corrosion of Conformity, and Suicidal Tendencies, but if they're as big and commercial as this dude claims, then why don't they have a loyal fanbase come out just for them? This is what happens in metal all the time, people think a band is bigger than what they really are because they're only big in the metal world. If you ask a general music fan if they know who Mayhem is, they probably won't have a clue, where arguably any metal fan could deem them one of the most important and biggest bands in Black Metal. So I think this guy is just having a hissy fit over the whole "Metal can't be commercial" bullshit. I can completely understand any Black Metal fan disliking Deafheaven, but they didn't commercialize underground metal, especially when Lamb of God and Mastodon have been around as long as they have. the reason I'm drawn to Deafheaven is because I'm seriously bored of all the copy and paste death and black metal bands out there, out of new bands the only metal bands I dig are the ones making interesting music, like Oathbreaker, Dillinger, Baroness, and a plethora of Doom bands since that's my favorite subgenre. So when I discovered Deafheaven I was instantly hooked and it never made me wanna go out and listen to MBV like the guy who wrote the article claimed it would do, and why did he even mention that, I think it's great if a metal fan becomes a shoegaze fan from Deafheaven. 

11 hours ago, twatay said:

EDIT: Also, he's full of shit when he claims the people who went to see Dinosaur Jr, Pixies, Meat Puppets, etc didn't listen to Nirvana.  That is total horse shit.

Also, this 100%.

doing that ray bans commercial was a travesty, it's appalling to not have the integrity of classic metal bands like metallica, maiden, sabbath, megadeth etc. who would never dream of selling their music or slapping their name on random shit for money. what's next? deafheaven baby onesies? artwork on sneakers? truck commercial soundtracks?

• Derek™ changed the title to [PO] Deafheaven // Sunbather – 10 Year Remaster