I find the copious amount of video reviews to be annoying, but its not just him. I just group them all on the same level as the people who take pictures of their food (ie. Pointless). On a related note, I don't even really see the point of album reviews at all anymore. Its not hard to find the music so you can listen to it for yourself.

Knows more than any of us do about music.

I disagree wholeheartedly. I see him more as a jack-of-all-trades master of none. Watching his reviews are a lot like reading Wikipedia articles, it's good if you want a very broad, vague skim-over of a subject you previously knew nothing about. But if you are already familiar you won't learn anything you don't already know. He seems to just scratch the surface. A lot of the words he uses to describe the way things sound are very vague and it just comes off like he has a very shallow understanding of music. He also seems like he tries way too hard. And his shirt is always way too tight. Dude needs to quit buying mediums, he is easily at least a large, if not, an XL.

Check out his review of the new 'Tyler the Crater' album. The part where he won't get off Domo Genesis' tip is hilarious. 
Just comes off as a total hipster who's trying way too hard when he suddenly switches to 'hip-hop' style diction. It's like he's trying to pretend that he's 'hard' or 'street', in the same way that he's trying to pretend that he still wears a medium. Seriously I can't tell if dude is fat or ripped, all I know for sure is his shirt doesn't fit his torso.

one of my writers posted a response to one of his reviews and he tweeted us back

that's all i have to say about him

That's decent of him, for sure. Not saying he's an awful dude, I just think his reviewing is weak and superoverhyped since he got mainpaged on youtube. Also the parts where he attempts humor fail. When I first heard of him I immediately thought he was annoying, then he kinda grew on me and I didn't mind him, but now I just think that his reviews are really shallow, and don't do justice to the work he is judging. I feel like he has no specialization and therefore, has no high ground to stand on. Lots of people seem to be really big followers of his, but I think those are people who have inferior knowledge of music, so to them he seems like he knows a lot.

That's decent of him, for sure. Not saying he's an awful dude, I just think his reviewing is weak and superoverhyped since he got mainpaged on youtube. Also the parts where he attempts humor fail. When I first heard of him I immediately thought he was annoying, then he kinda grew on me and I didn't mind him, but now I just think that his reviews are really shallow, and don't do justice to the work he is judging. I feel like he has no specialization and therefore, has no high ground to stand on. Lots of people seem to be really big followers of his, but I think those are people who have inferior knowledge of music, so to them he seems like he knows a lot.

Not to be a dick, but why aren't you doing video reviews? That's the question I have after reading everything you've said so far. Let the record show that I neither support nor protest your opinion. I'm pretty neutral about TND: I'll listen to his reviews and ramblings for fun, but I'd never allow his opinion to influence my own.

Not to be a dick, but why aren't you doing video reviews? That's the question I have after reading everything you've said so far. Let the record show that I neither support nor protest your opinion. I'm pretty neutral about TND: I'll listen to his reviews and ramblings for fun, but I'd never allow his opinion to influence my own.

Cause I make and study music, so I don't really feel a need to puff up my chest and yammer on about it all day.

I find the copious amount of video reviews to be annoying, but its not just him. I just group them all on the same level as the people who take pictures of their food (ie. Pointless). On a related note, I don't even really see the point of album reviews at all anymore. Its not hard to find the music so you can listen to it for yourself.

Also, this^ makes a lot of sense.

Of the few reviews I've seen him do, I agree with him maybe half the time. Then again, I haven't watched a review of his since he dropped a bomb on Macintosh Plus (that entire review was basically him saying "it's just slowed down 80's pop music", which means he didn't look into the genre's background very well, so that red flag was raised pretty quickly on my side of the screen).

Also, no one man should ride Death Grips' dicks that hard. No one.

You aren't likely to agree with any reviewer all of the time. Music criticism is like art, or theatre, or movie, etc, criticism - one person's opinion, but one that should be informed by knowledge and deep thought about the subject matter.

There's a place for it - there's ALWAYS a place for it. 50 years ago, a "review" of almost anything was more of just a recap. People like Lester Bangs came around and changed the game. Reviews provide insight, context, and knowledge. Some people are really good at it, even if they take something away that you don't agree with or seem to miss the point as you see it.

To say there isn't a need for it anymore misses the point. As for Anthony Fantano, sometimes I'll watch his reviews out of boredom. Sometimes I learn things. Sometimes I think he's clueless. Either way, whatever.

I disagree wholeheartedly. I see him more as a jack-of-all-trades master of none. Watching his reviews are a lot like reading Wikipedia articles, it's good if you want a very broad, vague skim-over of a subject you previously knew nothing about. But if you are already familiar you won't learn anything you don't already know. He seems to just scratch the surface. A lot of the words he uses to describe the way things sound are very vague and it just comes off like he has a very shallow understanding of music. He also seems like he tries way too hard. And his shirt is always way too tight. Dude needs to quit buying mediums, he is easily at least a large, if not, an XL.

Dude is an upside down pear looking mahfucker. But on the real, I enjoy some of his reviews. Cal Chuchesta is that dude and I like watching /mu/ shit themselves over stuff that he pans.

I had never heard of this person/website until I saw this thread this morning. I watched one of his reviews and thought he says a whole lot of words without saying much of anything in the way of actual critique (or substance, even). Par for the course on the internet, I suppose.

That's pretty much what I got out of it, too. But I only watched a few minutes of it, the constant talking with his hands right in front of the camera was driving me nuts. Do people really watch 12 minute long reviews of albums on a regular basis? I think I'd rather listen to one random minute of each of the tracks if I'm going to spend that much time.