San Francisco record stores

Hi all. I'm in San Francisco on business this week and have flagged tomorrow (Friday) afternoon to do some record shopping, any suggestions on stores? Also, and don't go too hog wild here, does anyone have anything they want me to try to find for them (note, if it's something I'm also looking for, sorry, but it's mine if I find it)?

i know at amoeba they have a rancid/nofx split (orange cover) on the wall. it says "40" on it. i assume it's $40? it doesnt say whether or not it's colored though... and...well yeah. it's been awhile since i've been there. so i don't know if it'll still be there. haha.

didn't someone send you a fat list through the wiki?

http://burntwolf.com/index.php?title=Category:Stores

the only store worth going to really is Amoeba on Haight Street. the one in Berkeley has been going downhill for a few years, but also possibly worth a stop. The Rasputin's in Berkeley might be worth a stop, but prob not. The one in SF isn't so hot (it's a weird bldg though. Really skinny, 3 floors).

The Amoeba in LA is actually my favorite, but the SF one is pretty cool too.

there are 1 or 2 other stores on Haight, but I've never found much interesting at them.

i don't know if Mission Records is still open. that is a dingy little place, but might have some surprises.

it also depends if you're sticking to just SF or outlying areas.

sometimes Red Devil in San Raphael has some gems.

Saturn Records in Berkeley is all or mostly all vinyl. They were the ones who brokered that found Velvet Underground acetate last year. I've yet to find anything up my alley there though.

Mod Lang in Berkeley's specialty is imports, so if you're looking for stuff from the UK, that is usually a good place to look. It recently moved and I haven't been to the new store yet. So, it's in El Cerrito now, not Berkeley (still East Bay).

there is also some supposedly famous store out in Mill Valley that like Mick Jagger and people like that visit when they're in town. I assume that's mostly 'rock' type stuff. I haven't made it out there yet.

PS -- there is no way that Rancid/NoFX split can be worth 40 bucks. IMO. I can't remember what I sold mine for, but I doubt it was more than $25. Did they ever release the other color?

Thanks for all that info. Amoeba (where I've been before) was going to be my first stop. My hotel is right near that Rasputin. They have a decent selection, but nothing I can't get somewhere else.

And I know exactly the store in Mill Valley your're talking about. I think it's Village Music or something like that. The store is actually closing at the end of the year. Elvis Costello hangs out there, I guess and is playing a show there before the store closes.

Cadetapplesauce: What do you mean by fat list?

Aquarius Records is great. They always seem to have rare, hard-to-find stuff when no one else does.

I've never been in the store, but I mailorder stuff from them freequently.

They are located at 1055 Valencia Street, San Francisco, California 94110

hours are Monday-Wednesday 10am-9pm / Thursday-Sunday 10am-10pm

tel 415.647.2272 / fax 415.647.3447

email [email protected]

http://www.aquariusrecords.org/

http://burntwolf.com/index.php?title=Category:Stores

the only store worth going to really is Amoeba on Haight Street. the one in Berkeley has been going downhill for a few years, but also possibly worth a stop. The Rasputin's in Berkeley might be worth a stop, but prob not. The one in SF isn't so hot (it's a weird bldg though. Really skinny, 3 floors).

The Amoeba in LA is actually my favorite, but the SF one is pretty cool too.

there are 1 or 2 other stores on Haight, but I've never found much interesting at them.

i don't know if Mission Records is still open. that is a dingy little place, but might have some surprises.

it also depends if you're sticking to just SF or outlying areas.

sometimes Red Devil in San Raphael has some gems.

Saturn Records in Berkeley is all or mostly all vinyl. They were the ones who brokered that found Velvet Underground acetate last year. I've yet to find anything up my alley there though.

Mod Lang in Berkeley's specialty is imports, so if you're looking for stuff from the UK, that is usually a good place to look. It recently moved and I haven't been to the new store yet. So, it's in El Cerrito now, not Berkeley (still East Bay).

there is also some supposedly famous store out in Mill Valley that like Mick Jagger and people like that visit when they're in town. I assume that's mostly 'rock' type stuff. I haven't made it out there yet.

PS -- there is no way that Rancid/NoFX split can be worth 40 bucks. IMO. I can't remember what I sold mine for, but I doubt it was more than $25. Did they ever release the other color?

orange vinyl is definately worth more than $40

http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=200068260147

seen them go for more than that though...

green vinyl is definately worth less than $40 and last time i checked still available although every once and a while one will go for around $40 on ebay.

Aquarius Records is great. They always seem to have rare, hard-to-find stuff when no one else does.

I've never been in the store, but I mailorder stuff from them freequently.

They are located at 1055 Valencia Street, San Francisco, California 94110

hours are Monday-Wednesday 10am-9pm / Thursday-Sunday 10am-10pm

tel 415.647.2272 / fax 415.647.3447

email [email protected]

http://www.aquariusrecords.org/

Rad! Thanks. I'm going to go there too.

I'm shoving off in a couple of hours, does anyone want me to try and find something for them? I figure if it's a reasonable price, I'll grab it and we can work out shipping and fees. I won't be jacking up the price or anything. Anyway, let me know.