Beginner’s Guide to Turntables & Hi–Fi *READ 1st PAGE BEFORE POSTING NEW THREADS / BASIC QUESTIONS*

Is this a good deal? It includes the pre-amp and speakers. I'm researching the turntable, but it seems like people don't like the Audio-Technica brand

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/ele/5427706739.html

What else will $350 buy you? yes you can probably get better vintage for that sort of money by getting a table, amplifier and passive speakers but it would take a lot of research and effort or luck, if you are knowledgeable enough you could spend your $350 elsewhere but if not it's a pretty good deal and a perfectly good starting point

What else will $350 buy you? yes you can probably get better vintage for that sort of money by getting a table, amplifier and passive speakers but it would take a lot of research and effort or luck, if you are knowledgeable enough you could spend your $350 elsewhere but if not it's a pretty good deal and a perfectly good starting point

This.

Thinking about going with the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon but getting an acrylic platter for it.  I like the idea of not just flipping a switch between 33 and 45 so that's the reason I don't want to get the Espirit.  Any thoughts from anyone?

The Esprit does not have a switch to change the speed. You either have to remove the platter or get a speed box. If I understand you correctly, that's what your looking for right?

The Esprit does not have a switch to change the speed. You either have to remove the platter or get a speed box. If I understand you correctly, that's what your looking for right?

Yes you're correct. I see the Esprit labeled SB which has a built in Speed Box and on the project audio website, it shows two models. The Esprit and the Esprit SB. But I can't the find the Esprit non SB anywhere for sale online.(only checked out a handful of websites so far)

• 3 weeks later...

Your Thorens has a switch and a motor as it's a manual table but the Philips is an auto table and the electronics are there to control the auto functions and motor control so speed problems might not just be a new belt

If it's just a belt and cart then yes $30 is good as the 202 isn't a bad sounding table when it's right and.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really torn on a preamp for my setup. I have a Pro-ject Debut Carbon, Yamaha A-s500, and a set of Wharfedale Diamond 10.1's. Long story short, phono preamp on the A-S500 is shot, so looking for a good replacement. Got a free ART DJ Pre II to use in the meantime but don't really care to much for it. Was eyeing the Pro-ject preamps (Phono Box MM - Phono Box S) or potentially the U-Turn Pluto. Any thoughts on these? Prefer to keep the budget under $200 if possible.

I'll vouch for the PhonoBox MM; it's what I have in my chain, and I also have the Debut Carbon. I have a very clean chain...no hum, fuzz, crackle, or any other noise that ain't supposed to be there. I don't know how much of that is because of the MM, but I know that it isn't adding anything negative.

Heard good things about the Schiit Mani, but you can get the MM for about $50 cheaper, so if you're going on a budget that's what I'd recommend.

I'll vouch for the PhonoBox MM; it's what I have in my chain, and I also have the Debut Carbon. I have a very clean chain...no hum, fuzz, crackle, or any other noise that ain't supposed to be there. I don't know how much of that is because of the MM, but I know that it isn't adding anything negative.

Heard good things about the Schiit Mani, but you can get the MM for about $50 cheaper, so if you're going on a budget that's what I'd recommend.

Is there any difference between the Phono Box MM and the Phono Box MM/MC (besides being able to switch between MM and MC, obviously). And for that matter, are the pre's on the MM, MM/MC, and S box all the same? Just added bells and whistles? Trying to find what is best for my set up. 

Have heard a lot about the Mani! Any reason that you'd choose it over the Pro-ject besides price? I'm bummed, had a chance to grab a Pro-ject Phono Pre MM/MC for $79 on ebay earlier, but the guy sold the 3 he had today  :(

I am still going around in circle but getting there. Decided I will buy new for my first setup just for the initial piece of mind more than anything else.

Any view on this....It has the Ortofon 2m Silver
http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-14081-project-debut-carbon-msl-turntable-with-ortofon-2m-silver-cartridge.aspx

Also what are good interconnects brands etc?

:D

There's actually another US gem that doesn't really get mentioned, though it should. Higher price than the bluejeans products, but really incredible value, though I only know their speaker cables:

http://anticables.com/

I bet if you dig there's more than a few, the US is a potentially enormous market for bespoke HiFi and not just cables.

I think historically we've had so many little HiFi companies because men with beards that smoke pipes and with no pecuniary skills whatsoever like to work in sheds and if you work in a shed with no eye on the costs all sorts of wonderful things get produced.

:D

There's actually another US gem that doesn't really get mentioned, though it should. Higher price than the bluejeans products, but really incredible value, though I only know their speaker cables:

http://anticables.com/

Anti is cool. Very similar design philosophy to my favorite:

www.morrowaudio.com

First time customers get a special deal on one MA-1 interconnect pair. Get one and once broken in, compare it. I believe they have a very good return policy, as well.