Beginner’s Guide to Turntables & Hi–Fi *READ 1st PAGE BEFORE POSTING NEW THREADS / BASIC QUESTIONS*

10 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Isn't that the degree of off-set that the headshell must be, for it to track properly? 

Yeah, that is the correct angle. Sorry my brain was not working. It does not mean it's aligned correctly though. You could have it too far forward/back in the headshell to hit the proper points. I know you have a straight tonearm with a straight headshell, but you should still download an alignment protractor to check it out.

6 hours ago, Thomas³ said:

Yeah, that is the correct angle. Sorry my brain was not working. It does not mean it's aligned correctly though. You could have it too far forward/back in the headshell to hit the proper points. I know you have a straight tonearm with a straight headshell, but you should still download an alignment protractor to check it out.

Yeah I'll definitely do that.  It's got a thing to angle the headshell a bit so hopefully that helps my case haha

Hey allen, this probably a dumb question but for some reason it just hit me. Since my table is made to be used with the record weight, I should probably have the weight on when I try to align the cartridge right? I assume that small depressing in the suspension from the weight might be why it sounds bad when I think I have it perfect.

18 hours ago, Thomas³ said:

Hey allen, this probably a dumb question but for some reason it just hit me. Since my table is made to be used with the record weight, I should probably have the weight on when I try to align the cartridge right? I assume that small depressing in the suspension from the weight might be why it sounds bad when I think I have it perfect.

I doubt it but it is possible, the weight would alter the VTA so the easy check is put a steel rule beside the platter with and without the weight and see if it drops by more than 1mm with the weight on, 1mm you shouldn't really notice at that end but 1,5mm or 2mm and up yes I expect it will have an effect.

I've been thinking about playing around with pre-amps to see if I can get a warmer/more bass heavy sound and thought about testing the waters with a tube pre-amp.

Here's my setup: Pro-ject P1.2 w/ Ortofon 2M Blue - Pro-ject Phono Box - Rotel RA-935BX - KEF Q100

Here is a cheap pre-amp I was looking at: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1259088939

I see a lot of specs listed, but it may as well be a foreign language to me :/ Would that pre-amp be able to cope with the 2M Blue? Would it likely be an improvement on the standard Pro-ject Phono Box?

To make life easier, below are the specs one under the other:

JRyrGM0.jpg

• 1 month later...

So a co-worker gave me some of his old gear. A Fisher MT-6225 TT and a Rotel RX- 402. I decided to us it as my bedroom set up and put a Nagaoka MP10 on the Fisher. So now all is a set of speakers to go with it but I'm having a hard time figuring out which ones would pair nicely with the system. The Rotel is only 25w per channel so I'm not sure what speakers it will be able to drive. Id like to keep it around $200-$300. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by b'Bah

• 1 year later...

I’m new to the world of vinyl, did a little solo research and ended up ordering some equipment. Wanted to see what the pros thought of my purchase. I bought the elipson omega 100 tt with klipsch r15pm shelf speakers. Anyone own this tt? It was very similar to the debut carbon but has Bluetooth and USB port. Thanks for any feed back. Also what would be the best cartridge for this tt?

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...