Beginner’s Guide to Turntables & Hi–Fi *READ 1st PAGE BEFORE POSTING NEW THREADS / BASIC QUESTIONS*

Last winter I upgraded my TT and preamp. I am now in the market for an integrated amp and speakers. Here is my current set up:

VPI Scout 

Dynavector DV 10X5 cart

Jolida JD9 pre

Panasonic receiver

Klipsch Quintet speakers

My absolute max budget is $2000. It would be great to stay under that.

I am looking at the Epos Epic 2 bookshelf speakers.

The integrated amp doesn't need a phono stage and can be SS, tube, or hybrid. The Jolida is a tube pre. Let me know what you think.

You're going to be blown away when you get some quality integrated/speakers. I'm sure the VPI was a huge upgrade... but man, you're going to be even more pumped on it soon.

You're going to be blown away when you get some quality integrated/speakers. I'm sure the VPI was a huge upgrade... but man, you're going to be even more pumped on it soon.

I don't really know much about integrated amps. Here are a few that I have been looking at:

Jolida JD302CRC

Icon Audio Stereo 20 PP

Onkyo A-9070 Integrated Stereo Amplifier

Creek Evolution EVO 50A

Marantz PM8004

NAD C 356DAC

The Jolida and Icon are tubes, and I have a tube pre. WOuld it be better to go with a SS or hybrid?

As far as speakers go I have only looked at:

Epos Epic 2

Epos Epic 5

Focal SIB XL

Warfedale Denton 80th Anniversary

I know the Epic 5's are towers, but I would rather stick to bookshelves unless I can get something that is better for a good price.

Any suggestions would be great. 

If I can get a used Vincent Audio SV-236 MKII for $1500, would that be a better option? 

By a long shot. Granted, that's 50% more than the rest on that list, but it's one of the best in it's class. The onkyo comes close, especially for the vast array of inputs, but musically none of those can compare to the Vincent. Such an underrated gem.

Couldn't the Epic 2's be a little lacking considering the rest of the setup? I mean a $2000 integrated with $700 bookshelfs seems a bit lopsided. Not to mention the $1800 turntable.

Edit: rephrased the question.

That's what I was wondering. I'll have to look and see what I can come up with money wise for balance.

That's what I was wondering. I'll have to look and see what I can come up with money wise for balance.

Cost doesn't mean everything, and the combo could sound wonderful. I haven't heard either, but it's just something to keep in mind. I am of the thought that source and speakers are the most important, so I would spend the lions share of your budget on speakers. But ultimately, you should buy what you like/want.

I also have a VPI/Dyna combo and I love it. I also use hybrid amplification and really like it, although I would love to try a tube power amp at some point.

I put in an offer on the Vincent. What do you guys know about the following speakers?

KEF R100 (Are they really better than the Q300's? A lot of good reviews on the Q's) The R300 is a little out of my range

Epos Elan 15

ATC SCM7

Dynaudio Excite X12 (maybe the new Excite X14 when they come out if they aren't too much) or the DM 2/7

What are your thoughts? I have done too much looking around and am just getting overwhelmed right now.

I put in an offer on the Vincent. What do you guys know about the following speakers?

KEF R100 (Are they really better than the Q300's? A lot of good reviews on the Q's) The R300 is a little out of my range

Epos Elan 15

ATC SCM7

Dynaudio Excite X12 (maybe the new Excite X14 when they come out if they aren't too much) or the DM 2/7

What are your thoughts? I have done too much looking around and am just getting overwhelmed right now.

After a little more research I am leaning towards the Dynaudio X12's the most, then the ATC SCM7's 

There is a KEF dealer close to me, so I think I am going to demo the R100's and R300's. If the R300's blow me away (which I think they will) I may end up throwing my budget out the window and getting them (or at least seeing if they will let me try them out at home). Do you think  the Dynaudios will hold up to the R300's?

I'd say the ATCs have the edge over the Dynaudios, but these two would be my first picks simply because I know approximately what they can offer. I've never been a fan of any KEF speakers, but I haven't heard the R line.

If you get carried away and want to spend what the R300 cost, consider the ATC SCM11 as well. Just to make it harder :)

I don't want to make a thread about this, but I need some help. I just saw this turntable on Craigslist and I was wondering what your opinions are of it. I'm not good with pricing so I'm not sure if it's a good price, or if the turntable is a good turntable. Any help will be greatly appreciated. :)

http://greensboro.craigslist.org/ele/3941127935.html

I can't comment on the quality but ebay completed listings suggest that table is worth about $100. I'm assuming that would reflect the quality as well (not an ION or anything, but nothing great).

If you wanted a fixer upper you could have this for half the price:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/technics-sl-q2-turntable-/111119166299?pt=US_Record_Players_Home_Turntables&hash=item19df37eb5b

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say the ATCs have the edge over the Dynaudios, but these two would be my first picks simply because I know approximately what they can offer. I've never been a fan of any KEF speakers, but I haven't heard the R line.

If you get carried away and want to spend what the R300 cost, consider the ATC SCM11 as well. Just to make it harder :)

I blew my budget and I currently have a pair of Dynaudio Excite X16's. I demoed them yesterday at a shop and was really impressed. They guy who owns the shop is really nice too. He gave me a Q Up and a Shunyata - Venom 3 Source Power cable for free. He said that I have a month to return them and just wants to make sure that I enjoy whatever speakers I end up with. I also have a pair of ATC SMC11's coming next week, and maybe another pair of the new SCM11's next week too (if they arrive on time). My wife thought I was crazy to spend that much, until last night when she heard them. I'm excited to test these out in the next couple of weeks.

hi,i want to buy a new budget amp.  i have pioneer a-30 and denon pma 520ae in my mind as it costs near the same.

What do u think of these two? i want to connent with project debut and wharfedale diamond 10.1 or 12.1,all these for music like punk,hardcore,screamo etc.

If anyone have these units please tell me your opinion and what is better for the music i listen.

hi,i want to buy a new budget amp.  i have pioneer a-30 and denon pma 520ae in my mind as it costs near the same.

What do u think of these two? i want to connent with project debut and wharfedale diamond 10.1 or 12.1,all these for music like punk,hardcore,screamo etc.

If anyone have these units please tell me your opinion and what is better for the music i listen.

You can find an open box Yamaha A-S500 on ebay with full warranty for about $330 shipped. I bought one for myself and have not been disappointed.

Really wish I had seen this thread before I purchased my AT- LP120. Not that its a bad player by any means but The USB is useless in my case, and I understand because of all the different receptors it goes through, unless you rip out the built in preamp, which I plan on doing, you get a less than 'pure' sound.

Even if the preamp dissection does work and makes the turntable a lot better, I'm still looking to upgrade everything at some point. Really looking forward to those first ORBIT reviews to see if it's worth it. Bugle2 preamp is on the list too.

edit. Maybe not the bugle 2 after all? Wasn't listed in your suggested column..

Really wish I had seen this thread before I purchased my AT- LP120. Not that its a bad player by any means but The USB is useless in my case, and I understand because of all the different receptors it goes through, unless you rip out the built in preamp, which I plan on doing, you get a less than 'pure' sound.

Even if the preamp dissection does work and makes the turntable a lot better, I'm still looking to upgrade everything at some point. Really looking forward to those first ORBIT reviews to see if it's worth it. Bugle2 preamp is on the list too.

edit. Maybe not the bugle 2 after all? Wasn't listed in your suggested column..

It's really no big deal. You probably paid about $250 for it, and can sell it for $150.

Not to I wipe my ass with hundred dollar bills but if you are willing to spend the money on a good system, $100 isn't that much. No need to beat yourself up if your whole system cost $1600 instead of $1500 (just throwing out numbers).

Really looking forward to those first ORBIT reviews to see if it's worth it.

Same here man. I probably won't get it, but I'm interested to see how well that thing works out. It sounds like it will be very interesting.

And don't worry about it bro. One of the best things (to me) about getting into this hobby is slowly building your setup. I just think that it's fun investigating different pieces of gear then upgrading when you get the chance. 

I personally get more enjoyment out of hearing my setup progressively get better as opposed to just going out one day and buying the best of everything.

But this may be the poor college student in me talking, haha.

RECOMMENDATIONS FOR DIFFERENT BUDGETS

Headphones:

IEM headphones:

For IEM headphones (in ear monitors, in ear headphones, earbuds), there's really no better resource than THIS thread on Head-Fi. If this guide cannot help you decide, no-one can.

On-Ear & Over-Ear headphones:

<$50

Superlux HD 681 ($30)

Superlux HD-668 B ($40) - for the price the sound these deliver is unreal.

Koss PortaPro ($40)

<$100

AKG K 240 ($70)

Grado SR80i ($80)

AKG K142HD ($93)

Audio Technica ATH-AD700 ($100)

Grado SR80i ($100)

<$200

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 ($113)

AKG K142HD ($133)

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, 250 ohms ($175)

Fischer FA-003 ($196)

Grado SR225i Prestige ($200)

<$300

AKG Q 701($245)

Sennheiser HD 598 ($250)

Grado Prestige SR325i ($295)

Awesome post! Just had a couple suggestions for the headphones section:

Seems to lean heavily Grado. I'd knock off the SR325 (too bright), and SR80 (no point since SR60 can be had for $20 less). 

+1 on the M50's making this list. That's hands down my favorite sub-$150 all-around versatile headphone. The V-Moda M-80 is another of my favorite portable on-ear headphones that have a smooth, unoffensive, versatile sound signature (I like it much more than the costlier M-100 model, which is too bassy IMHO).

I'd add the Fostex T50RP as a sub-$100 giant slayer (especially modded with $15 in damping materials). Vintage Yamaha orthos are also fantastic steals (YH3s can be found on eBay for under $40 regularly). 

If we're including things at the ~$300 range, you'd definitely need to include the Sennheiser HD600, since that's probably the best bang-for-buck headphone out there. Just helped my co-worker build a system around the HD600 (with Bottlehead Crack amp, and Resonessance Concero DAC) that sounds killer. Also, the Hifiman HE-400 is a great modern ortho at $399. 

For IEMs, the Hifiman RE-400 is one of the best I've heard at $99. Really impressive for a "budget" IEM. And if one can stretch to $399, the custom Ultimate Ears UE-4 is supposed to be fantastic and tonally similar to my UE Reference Monitors.