Beginner’s Guide to Turntables & Hi–Fi *READ 1st PAGE BEFORE POSTING NEW THREADS / BASIC QUESTIONS*

Is there no sound at all, or is it low or distorted volume? 

Do any of the other inputs work correctly? Specifically, can you get sound out of your speakers from the receiver in any other fashion? 

Trying to narrow down what the issue is. With the information right now, anything could be the issue (speakers, receiver, turntable). 

The sounds is really faint, but it sounds almost like its coming right out of the turntable, not out of the speakers at all.  I can get sound out of the speakers at a higher volume if I plug into the main input in the back of the receiver, but then the volume control doesn't work.  I've tried the other inputs and no sound out of those either, same as with the phono input.

Awesome post! Just had a couple suggestions for the headphones section:

Thanks, I've added some of your suggestions. The list was basically just a quick guide, mostly consisting of headphones I've had at least some experience with, so far from comprehensive. So if you (or anyone else for that matter) have any recommendations feel free to post and I'll gladly add them.

I haven't put anything on above the $300 range because I don't think there has ever been talk about headphones over that price here, but If there's interest I can put them on.

The hard way? Put it in your system, listen a few hours daily for two or three weeks, then replace it with the old wire. If it sounds bad or something's just not right with the old one, then the new one is good (for your setup).

Thickness usually has little to do with how good a wire will perform (unless we're talking extremely thin or extremely thick - over 20 gauge or under 6 or 7), the purity of the material, insulation and geometry are much more important. Are there no markings on the jacket? 

No markings.

I have 2 sets of wires. I can just tell by the look / feel / thinness of one of the pairs that they are shit. So I guess I'll buy a new set of wires for my "hifi" setup (just to know that they are good), ditch the one I know is shit, and move the one that seems like it might be decent but I'm not sure onto my "B" setup.

Just dropped $1600 on a receiver and floorstandings, might as well just pony up the $20 for high quality wires.

Was mostly just curious if their was a way to tell.

Well if you have measuring equipment you can measure resistance, inductance and capacitance, but this will only tell you how good it can perform technically, not how good it fits in your system. There's no easier way I'm afraid.

Though honestly, don't worry about it. The differences are so marginal it's not worth the hassle. If it's for your secondary system, just make sure it works and that's it. After some time has passed you can always experiment with changing it to see if you notice any difference.

noticed this today and thought it was interesting enough to share:

Amazon/Music Direct are selling the Marantz PM6004 for $450 (vs $600) which makes it the same price as the PM5004. 

Maybe we'll see a significant discount on the PM8004 soon?

amazon

Music Direct

I guess this is why it's discounted.   PM6005  now with digital inputs for $600.  pretty interesting.

• 1 month later...

I have a beginner question, not sure where to post but doesn't warrant a new thread. I got a vinyl a while back, but didn't go to play it until today. I was told it was new, and it was in the shrink wrap for a while before I took it out only to put it in an inner sleeve and back into the cover then an outer sleeve around that. Well I went to play it today and it is scratched and smudged. I can only think it either wasn't handled well at the pressing facility or someone sold me a used copy, but had the means to reseal it and pass it off as new. Is this common? Does anyone have any ideas?

Well I mean it is possible that someone would go through the trouble of resealing a record, but I'd say it's much more common that you get an actual new record that looks heavily used. Does it noticeably affect play? If there's a lot of surface noise, but the scratch doesn't "pop" loudly every time the needle passes it, it's probably just how the record left the pressing plant.

Well I mean it is possible that someone would go through the trouble of resealing a record, but I'd say it's much more common that you get an actual new record that looks heavily used. Does it noticeably affect play? If there's a lot of surface noise, but the scratch doesn't "pop" loudly every time the needle passes it, it's probably just how the record left the pressing plant.

Nah there is a pop. That is how i noticed something was wrong. When I took the time to inspect it I saw several scratches on both sides and smudge type marks as well on the surface.

I can't remember getting a new record with scratches but it is definitely way more plausible that it happened at the plant than someone resealed a used record.

What label? Even with the length of time passing, a smaller label might send you a new one for cheap/free. If its a major, don't bother.

I can't remember getting a new record with scratches but it is definitely way more plausible that it happened at the plant than someone resealed a used record.

What label? Even with the length of time passing, a smaller label might send you a new one for cheap/free. If its a major, don't bother.

The album is Ellie Goulding - Halycon. One logo says Cherry Tree Records and another says Interscope. Must be separate labels for different countries?

RECOMMENDATIONS FOR DIFFERENT BUDGETS

Turntable:

All tables listed below include a cartridge.

<$250

Numark TTUSB ($100)

Audio-Technica AT-LP120 ($200)

Stanton T92 ($200)

A used table from the <$400 category

A vintage thrift store record player (from $10 on), with pros and cons briefly explained here

<$400

Pro-Ject Debut III ($300) - still available at some places for this price

Pro-Ject Essential ($300)

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon ($400)

Denon DP300F ($320) - inferior in quality to those above, but includes a built-in phono preamp

<$700

Rega RP1 ($445)

Music Hall MMF-2.2 ($450)

Pro-Ject RPM 1.3 ($500)

Pro-Ject Xpression III ($700)

<$1k

Rega RP3 ($1000) - easily the best buy in this category

Pro-Ject Xpression Classic ($800)

Music Hall MMF-5.1 ($875)

Pro-Ject 2 Xperience Basic+ ($900)

Pro-Ject 2 Xperience Basic+ Acrylic ($1000)

Phono preamp:

<$50

(Not really recommended, unless you're going for an ultra-budget setup)

Behringer PP400 ($24)

Art DJPre II ($50)

TCC TC-750LC ($50)

<$150

Bellari VP-29 ($76)

Pro-Ject Phono Box MM ($100)

Cambridge Audio Azur 551P ($140)

Pro-Ject Phono Box DC ($150)

<$300

Parasound Zphono ($200)

Musical Fidelity V-LPS II ($200)

Bellari VP130 ($230)

Cambridge Audio Azur 651P ($230)

Pro-Ject Phono Box DS ($350) - slightly over the budget, but I have to mention it because of it's versatility in cartridge pairing

<$500

Bottlehead Seduction ($380) - needs assembling

Creek OBH-18 ($395)

Clearaudio Nano ($400)

Lehmann Audio Black Cube Statement ($400)

Rega Fono ($400)

Vincent Audio PHO-8 ($400)

Bellari VP530 ($400) - built in headphone amplifier

Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 ($410)

Soundsmith MMP4 ($410)

Pro-Ject Tube Box S ($450)

Edwards Audio MM1 ($450)

Graham Slee Gram Amp 3 ($475) - MC carts only

Phono Cartridge:

<$150

Grado Black1 Prestige ($60)

Shure M97XE ($80)

Ortofon 2M Red ($100)

Sumiko Black Pearl ($100)

Grado Red1 ($140)

Denon DL-110 ($140) - MC!

<$300

Rega Bias 2 ($165)

Grado Silver1 ($190)

Clearaudio Concept V2 ($200)

Grado Gold1 ($220)

Ortofon 2M Blue ($225)

Denon DL-103 ($230) - MC!

Audio-Technica 440MLa ($240)

Goldring G 2200 ($250)

Rega Elys Mk2 ($295)

<$500

Grado Reference Platinum1 ($350)

Sumiko Blue Point No.2 ($400)

Clearaudio Performer v2 ($400)

Ortofon 2M Bronze ($420)

Goldring 1012 GX ($450)

Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo III ($500) - MC!

Goldring 1022 GX ($500)

Nagaoka MP-300 ($500)

Headphones:

IEM headphones:

For IEM headphones (in ear monitors, in ear headphones, earbuds), there's really no better resource than THIS thread on Head-Fi. If this guide cannot help you decide, no-one can.

On-Ear & Over-Ear headphones:

<$50

Superlux HD 681 ($30)

Superlux HD-668 B ($40) - for the price the sound these deliver is unreal.

Koss PortaPro ($40)

<$100

AKG K 240 ($70)

Grado SR60i ($80)

AKG K142HD ($93)

Skullcandy Aviator ($100)

Audio Technica ATH-AD700 ($100)

<$200

Fostex T50RP ($108 currently)

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 ($113)

AKG K142HD ($133)

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, 250 ohms ($175)

V-Moda M-80 ($180)

Fischer FA-003 ($196)

Grado SR225i Prestige ($200)

Sennheiser HD25 ($200)

<$300

AKG Q 701($245)

Sennheiser HD 598 ($250)

Grado Prestige SR325i ($295)

Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium ($300)

Amplification:

Those marked with * include a built in phono stage.

<$350

Your best bet is to buy something used from the next price bracket. Amazon often has insanely good "warehouse deals" for more than 50% off retail. But If you insist on buying new, though not ideal, there are some options:

Nuforce Icon ($180)

Audioengine N22 ($200)

Yamaha A-S300 ($330) *

NuForce Icon-2 ($350)

<$550

Nad C-316BEE ($380)

Yamaha A-S500 ($400) *

Marantz PM5004 ($450) *

Jolida JD301BRC ($500)

Onkyo A9050 ($500) *

Nad C-316BEE ($550)

Cambridge Audio 351A ($550)

Music Hall A15.3 ($550) *

Teac AH01 ($550)

<$900

Marantz PM6004 ($600) * currently only $450 on Amazon and Music Direct

Cambridge Audio 351A ($800)

Nad C-356BEE ($800)

Rega Brio-R ($895)

Marantz PM8004 ($900) *

Firestone Rubby ($900)

Speakers:

This is probably the category with the widest selection available in any budget, so the speakers listed here are in no way the only viable options. Take it more as a selection of what I either have experience with and can strongly recommend or I have heard/read a lot of positive comments about from sources I've come to trust over the years.

Also since I found some of these heavily discounted the price might not be the same in every store or might not even last for long, so I put the MSRP up as well.

Bookshelf speakers:

<$150

Dayton Audio B652 ($40)

Pioneer SP-BS22-LR ($130)

<$250

NHT SuperZero 2.1 ($200)

Kef C3 ($200)

Audioengine P4 ($249)

Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 350 ($250)

<$500

Epos Epic 1 ($300)

Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 ($349)

Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 450 ($350)

Focal 705V ($350) retail $500

Epos Epic 2 ($400) retail $800

Kef Q100 ($400)

Focal 706V ($450) retail $700

Monitor Audio BX-2 ($450)

Dali Zensor 1 ($500)

Kef Q300 ($500)

<$900

Klipsch Reference RB-61 II ($550)

Rega RS 1 ($800)

Klipsch Reference RB-81 II ($850)

Floorstanding speakers:

<$500

Wharfedale Diamond 10.5 ($400) retail $950

Kef C7 ($400) retail $800

BOSTON ACOUSTICS A360 ($400) retail $800

<$700

Klipsch RF-52 II ($550)

Magnepan MMG ($600)

Epos Epic 5 ($700) retail $1400

<$900

Klipsch RF-62 II ($800)

Kef Q500 ($800)

Focal 716V ($900) retail $1500

When you have the price as one thing but the you say retail is more expensive where do you get the cheaper price or is that per speaker?

My Epic 2's got delivered on Thursday! Driving down to Plentywood, Montana tomorrow to pick them up.

That's pretty awesome.  I'm loving mine!  Paired with Blue Jean Cables 10 gauge speaker cable they're awesome.  Just saying the reason things are expensive is because of the quality.  I was always not wanting to spend money on upgrading anything in my system, but now that I have I find myself listening to more records, more frequently and just enjoying the overall experience that vinyl has to offer.