Beginner’s Guide to Turntables & Hi–Fi *READ 1st PAGE BEFORE POSTING NEW THREADS / BASIC QUESTIONS*

Here is what I'm currently using and would like some feedback on it. Good or bad. I want to upgrade everything, but this will all have to do for the time being.

Also, I'm not sure if I need a preamp for this set up either. There is a phono channel on my receiver and it is definitely louder than any other channel. However, the balance is off and will only work on certain presets. Most of the sound comes out of the left speaker so I have to move my balance further to the right for it to sound ok.

What should I do? Thank you.

The setup:

TT: Hitachi HT-40S (with stock cartridge/needle)

Receiver: JVC RX-558V

Speakers: Fisher STV-667

Edit: so I have seemed to fix my audio situation. I had another receiver not in use that I decided to try again with. I hooked everything up and was still getting audio only out of the left channel. I looked at my speaker wiring and made some changes and now everything sounds awesome. I had all of my wiring going to the same channel rather than through both channels. The receiver is an integrated amp so I have no need for a preamp which is awesome. Saves me $200 or so on that end. Finding out that I set everything up wrong is awesome but sucks that it took me so long to figure it out. I'm glad I figured it out though. I'm finally getting full function out of my set up. :)

tiny problem with the new setup...I have the zphono and carbon tt hooked up to Samson MediaOne 3a monitors and there is a very loud buzzing noise in the background whenever I try play a record or just keep everything on without a record playing. The sound gets especially loud when I touch the tone arm/top of stylus and when I unplug the wires. I've had these speakers for almost a year with no problems and am using brand new standard rca cables from radioshack. I have no idea what to do! Someone please help!

Sounds like the turntable isn't grounded properly. Do you have the ground wire from the table screwed into the ground on the preamp?

Not sure what you mean by that but here are some photos if it helps...

IcRkrQr.jpg

here's the tt

TEmlI6D.jpg

that's the preamp

a1LJdeE.jpg

here's what the wiring for the tt looks like

iA5mPKU.jpg

and the preamp...

OFfJnmU.jpg

this is where everything is plugged in

B2mp5nl.jpg

and the speakers...

i've fiddled around with just about everything and the only thing that gets rid of the buzzing noise is switching a switch on the back of the preamp from MM to MC but when it's on MC the music sounds very compressed and quiet. any tips at all?

OK, so I need help figuring out what exactly I need to get my turntable I'm ordering set up and playing straight out of the box.

I'm not an audiophile and am on a lower budget. So yes I know more expensive stuff sounds better but I don't have the money. What do I need if I plan to get...

-Orbit Turntable

-Pyle PP999 PreAmp  

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00025742A/ref=s9_psimh_gw_p23_d0_i4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1MC9QN4TN9QM5JJDH40G&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1630083502&pf_rd_i=507846

-Amplifier

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049P6OTI/ref=s9_psimh_gw_p23_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1MC9QN4TN9QM5JJDH40G&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1630083502&pf_rd_i=507846

- Speakers  

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PCB3BK-100-Watt-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B000MCGF1O/ref=pd_sim_e_5

Do I need a pre amp if I get the amplifier or do I need both?

What kind of wires do I need to connect all the components together?

With that amp, you would need the preamp as well.  Some receivers have a built in phono preamp, but not that one.

You'll need two sets of RCA cables: one to go from the turntable to the preamp (included with the Orbit) and one to go from the preamp to the amplifier.  Then you'll need speaker wire to run from the amp to the speakers.

Wow, if you're really set on spending this little on amp and speakers, scrap them both and buy some computer speakers to hook your preamp to, like these for example: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Speaker-System-Z523-Subwoofer/dp/B002FU5QMK/ref=sr_1_31?ie=UTF8&qid=1381834300&sr=8-31&keywords=pc+speakers

But to put it in perspective, you're basically saying: "I'm not a professional athlete, what running shoes can I buy for $1.50, just for recreation"

There is a minimum you have to decide to spend if you want anything remotely close to a solid sound. It doesn't make sense to spend $150 on a turntable, then $60 total on everything else. In that case, it would be better to spend the total of $200 on a pair of computer speakers, hook them up to your PC, and listen exclusively to music on youtube. It would sound infinitely better than the setup you posted.

You might be better getting the whole lot (turntable, amp and speakers) from a yard sale for a few bucks.

I wouldn't normally suggest 2nd hand for any of it really unless you know it's history but I'm with @Slinch, what you are suggesting as a system will sound crap and probabaly put you off the whole vinyl thing altogether, you would definately be wasting the turntable.

Even an average 2nd hand setup would sound better than that lot

Wow, if you're really set on spending this little on amp and speakers, scrap them both and buy some computer speakers to hook your preamp to, like these for example: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Speaker-System-Z523-Subwoofer/dp/B002FU5QMK/ref=sr_1_31?ie=UTF8&qid=1381834300&sr=8-31&keywords=pc+speakers

But to put it in perspective, you're basically saying: "I'm not a professional athlete, what running shoes can I buy for $1.50, just for recreation"

There is a minimum you have to decide to spend if you want anything remotely close to a solid sound. It doesn't make sense to spend $150 on a turntable, then $60 total on everything else. In that case, it would be better to spend the total of $200 on a pair of computer speakers, hook them up to your PC, and listen exclusively to music on youtube. It would sound infinitely better than the setup you posted.

I think he's thinking the right way actually. He will upgrade everything eventually, It's his first sytem, he loves vinyl, getting a good turntable would be where I would put the most money to start.

I see where you're coming from @DigWaveDave but the rest of the kit needs to at least be able to get something out of the turntable though otherwise it's a waste of time and money.

The mismatch between the turntable and amp/speakers is too far to make it worth the effort.

A good turntable is always a good thing and the love of vinyl should never be discouraged but he might be better off taking the rest of the money to yard sales and charity shops to see what he can find 2nd hand.

Any average 70's or 80's amp/reciever for $5 would do a much much better job.

The turntable pre will do a job but the rest will struggle to acheive fi let alone hifi and I worry that would stilt a budding vinyl lover.

@AJ123 if you do go 2nd hand go for weight in everything it's always a good sign in amps and speakers and don't buy speakers you can't take the covers off to check the cones. And if they tell you it works make sure to tell them you will be bringing it back if it doesn't

Anything that surprises you with it's weight when you lift it will be a good thing.

I do it all the time here for people who want to get into vinyl but are worried about buying crap or worse worn out crap.

Try and find someone local with a bit of knowledge who can at least weed out the real rubbish for you and go to all the charity stores and yard sales you can find.

In amongst all the plastic rubbish there will be a gem there somewhere.

Remember the weight rule and also all comes to he who waits and I bet it will be worth the digging.

There's probabaly a book idea in there, "charity shop hifi the easy way"

Couldn't agree more on hitting goodwills or salvation armys for most of the stuff. I helped my 16 yr old nephew get a complete system for under 50 bucks (minus turntable) a nice onkyo receiver, a pair of vintage JVC floor speakers with big sound and power, and a vintage pioneer tape deck, all in really good working order for $50 total at my local salvation army over the course of about 2 weeks. he purchased an at lp60 on his own for $80 and was a happy camper with every intention of upgrading eventually.

Ok, I know my setup besides the turntable is cheap. What if I went with these computer speakers instead of an amp and speakers separate. This is only if I don't find any speakers at a thrift shop first.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-980-000382-Z313-Speaker-System/dp/B002HWRZ2K/ref=cm_srch_res_rtr_1

Ok, I know my setup besides the turntable is cheap. What if I went with these computer speakers instead of an amp and speakers separate. This is only if I don't find any speakers at a thrift shop first.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-980-000382-Z313-Speaker-System/dp/B002HWRZ2K/ref=cm_srch_res_rtr_1

Computer speakers are designed to do a different job. They have a built in amplifier as the sound card in your PC has a line level output the same as a pre amp or any CD player, Tuner or tape deck. Hifi speakers need an amplifier to drive them.

You could use these with a phono amp between the turntable and the speakers, the problem with most computer speakers is that the power supply and power amp are in one of them so you quite often hear the power supply and the power amp won't exactly be good quality.

All integrated amplifiers (most you will see with lots of switches and knobs on) are made up of two parts, the pre amp and the power amp. The pre amp deals with the volume and input switching and the power amp makes the noise. Just to confuse matters more most turntables have a different output level so a phono amp is needed to make the phono level the same as line level.

CD's output are different technically but essentially they are line level so you can plug them into an unused input on your amp.

When having a turntable was the norm most integrated amps had the phono amp built in so upto the mid 90's really which are the ones you are most likely to see in a charity shop. So you buy your big heavy 80's amp in the charity shop and the matching enormous speakers, take it home plug it all in with your turntable, turn it on, crank it up and your neighbours will instantly hate you.

You can't really do that with computer speakers.

Alright. I'll look at my local salvation army and goodwill for amps and speakers. Are there any brands to stay away from altogether?

All of the major makers pretty much all made good and bad so look for weight, nice feeling controls, use of metal and wood rather than plastic and the usual names like Pioneer, Rotel, Technics, NAD, Onkyo, Denon etc etc.

Make sure it's 2 channel so not an audio visual amp with surround sound and more than just left and right speaker connections, no front and rear etc. No 5.1 or 7.1 or anything like that.

Two sets of outputs are fine if you can switch them on and off i.e a switch or switches that does A or B or Both.

It's also a lot more interesting than just ordering something from Amazon

Please chime in with the brands I have not mentioned especially the better US brands. Always nice to buy locally made stuff.