Beginner’s Guide to Turntables & Hi–Fi *READ 1st PAGE BEFORE POSTING NEW THREADS / BASIC QUESTIONS*

Hey guys,

Looking to get some advice for my set up.

This will be my first HI-FI set up and I don't really know too much about TT and audio equipment.

That being said the TT I have had my eye on is the Pro-ject debut carbon.

For a receiver, my pal recommends a marantz pm6004.

Just want to know what you guys think? Good set up? bad? better stuff out there?

Thanks.

Not knowing whether you are in the US or Europe but assuming the US by the choices both will not dissapoint but whether they can be bettered is another thing.

I'm not fimiliar with the choices you have in the US or the pricing but the Marantz seems expensive in the US compared to here and I am guessing it doesn't have as much competition in the US. The Marantz though is an integrated amplifier not a receiver, a receiver has a radio tuner built in

As to other options I see a bit of mention about Cambridge Audio in the US and if I were making the choice here that is where my money would go but I don't know if the pricing in the US makes that viable or not. For a turntable another choice would be the Uturn with the acrylic platter but I haven't seen any direct back to back tests or enough reviews full stop to know if that's a good suggestion or not.

I'm sure some VC'ers from that side of the water will give you some better feedback than I

You can 

Hey guys,

Looking to get some advice for my set up.

This will be my first HI-FI set up and I don't really know too much about TT and audio equipment.

That being said the TT I have had my eye on is the Pro-ject debut carbon.

For a receiver, my pal recommends a marantz pm6004.

Just want to know what you guys think? Good set up? bad? better stuff out there?

Thanks.

You can get a great price on the PM6004 right now as the PM6005 recently came out.

$399 from One Call  

http://www.onecall.com/marantz-pm6004?PMNID=416&utm_medium=ppc&PMNID=9504&utm_medium=ppc&device={device}&network={network}&matchtype={matchtype}&gclid=CLPvkY-Yo7oCFStp7AodAFkABA

$418 on Amazon or $342 Used-Like New from Amazon Warehouse.   I think that's a pretty solid value.

http://www.amazon.com/Marantz-PM6004-Integrated-Amplifier/dp/B005J7Y9B0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382195484&sr=8-1&keywords=marantz+PM6004

Apologies if this question has been asked before but what are people's thoughts on buying audio stuff from eBay?  Especially from sellers overseas.  For example, I'm looking at this new Marantz PM5004 from South Korea for $320:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271287242440&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

The seller has excellent feedback, essentially no complaints.  It seems risky given that if it were to arrive and have something wrong with it, I'd potentially have to go through an arduous return/refund process..but the price ain't bad either and it's a silver one, which doesn't seem easy to find these days.  

Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Apologies if this question has been asked before but what are people's thoughts on buying audio stuff from eBay?  Especially from sellers overseas.  For example, I'm looking at this new Marantz PM5004 from South Korea for $320:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271287242440&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

The seller has excellent feedback, essentially no complaints.  It seems risky given that if it were to arrive and have something wrong with it, I'd potentially have to go through an arduous return/refund process..but the price ain't bad either and it's a silver one, which doesn't seem easy to find these days.  

Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks.

I wouldn't bother.  A number of people (myself included) have had good luck finding the PM5004 (black) on Amazon Warehouse for under $200.   

Many retailers (OneCall, Amazon) have been blowing out the now discontinued PM6004 recent weeks for as low as $400--although it seems that stock/price changes pretty quickly.

You can look at price history and set an alert for price drops here:

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Marantz-PM6004-Integrated-Amplifier/product/B005J7Y9B0?context=browse

I wouldn't bother.  A number of people (myself included) have had good luck finding the PM5004 (black) on Amazon Warehouse for under $200.   

Many retailers (OneCall, Amazon) have been blowing out the now discontinued PM6004 recent weeks for as low as $400--although it seems that stock/price changes pretty quickly.

You can look at price history and set an alert for price drops here:

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Marantz-PM6004-Integrated-Amplifier/product/B005J7Y9B0?context=browse

Thanks.  I've been looking around and it would seem your under $200 finds were excellent luck...I can't seem to find much of anything for the 5004 under $400, and the same goes for the 6004 but at around $450.  

Check here: http://camelcamelcamel.com/Marantz-PM5004-Integrated-Amplifier-Black/product/B003R7KMTC?context=browse

Move the date range to "1y" and price type to "3rd party used". You'll see that it was below $200 quite a few times. Just set up an alert like tardcore said and you'll get an instant email when the price drops.

Check here: http://camelcamelcamel.com/Marantz-PM5004-Integrated-Amplifier-Black/product/B003R7KMTC?context=browse

Move the date range to "1y" and price type to "3rd party used". You'll see that it was below $200 quite a few times. Just set up an alert like tardcore said and you'll get an instant email when the price drops.

Done.  Thank you.

Aesthetically speaking, I do like the silver one that guy on eBay is selling.  And it is new...I like it more than the black one, actually.  But I can't find the silver one anywhere.  The few that have responded to me seem to think it's not worth it given that there have been used ones for under 200.  But if I like the silver one more than the black and it's new, perhaps it's worth pulling the trigger on given the difficulty of tracking down silver ones?  

Yes, I know the color is the silliest of reasons and I'm generally not one to be picky but aesthetics are important to my wife if this thing is going to be a prominent place in our house, and she likes that silver one.

I think that the silver version may be import only.  If you really have your heart set on that particular version of that particular item, you may not have many options.

the heavy mark-up and additional risk seems a bit insane to me, but be sure to let us know how it works out for you.

I think that the silver version may be import only.  If you really have your heart set on that particular version of that particular item, you may not have many options.

the heavy mark-up and additional risk seems a bit insane to me, but be sure to let us know how it works out for you.

Yeah, I'm going to think it over...

First time looking at the "equipment" topics, great info on having a good setup. Never thought about changing the cartridge (haven't been collecting for too long).

Did have a speaker curiosity though, anyone have any thoughts/opinions on Cerwin Vega speakers? Specifically the DX-1 model.

Looking to change out my current speakers (25+ years old) and saw my grandmother had a pair of them at her house.

They'd be free which is their biggest selling point but I was just wondering. Thanks.