Beginner’s Guide to Turntables & Hi–Fi *READ 1st PAGE BEFORE POSTING NEW THREADS / BASIC QUESTIONS*

you guys think this is a fair asking price?  it's only been up for 6 days but i want to counter his offer and not low ball him.  what do you think is a good starting point.

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/ele/4845028760.html

$280-300. If has really had it for three weeks (not saying this is true) I don't think he'll want to take more of a hit than that because it's already at a really good price.

you guys think this is a fair asking price?  it's only been up for 6 days but i want to counter his offer and not low ball him.  what do you think is a good starting point.

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/ele/4845028760.html

Call Musician's Friend and ask for a discount on the Debut Carbon DC (that's the only servicable turntable that they stock). You should be able to easily get 15% off which puts it around $380.   You're way better off spending a few bucks more and getting a new turntable, with the 2M red,  in the color of your choice,  with a little retail support.

Call Musician's Friend and ask for a discount on the Debut Carbon DC (that's the only servicable turntable that they stock). You should be able to easily get 15% off which puts it around $380.   You're way better off spending a few bucks more and getting a new turntable, with the 2M red,  in the color of your choice,  with a little retail support.

free shipping too.  thanks for the advice tardcore.  might give this a shot come tax return time.

Vibrations mostly from the amp.

Your cartridge uses vibrations to make the noise so adding unwanted ones in is a very bad thing, it gets worse the higher up the volume goes and can manifest itself as a skipping needle and feedback.

It can affect all your kit but the turntable will suffer the worst.

All you need is a stand to put the amp and CD player under and the turntable on top to isolate it, ideally they all want to be on isolated from each other and using pointed feed on the legs of your stand or stands to minimise the point of contact for the same reasons but it's not always possible.

Have a look at audio stands on the net and you can copy a lot of it quite cheaply.

Can anyone recommend a budget audio stand/nightstand/end table/2 tier rack? Preferably a dark color. What do you guys use?

Right now I have a Orbit Uturn (Dimensions: 5" x 17" x 13").

Im ordering a Yamaha A500BL (W x H x D): 17-1/8" x 6" x 15-1/4".

Ive been searching forever and cant find anything thats not overly expensive or massive entertainment centers.

Can anyone recommend a budget audio stand/nightstand/end table/2 tier rack? Preferably a dark color. What do you guys use?

Right now I have a Orbit Uturn (Dimensions: 5" x 17" x 13").

Im ordering a Yamaha A500BL (W x H x D): 17-1/8" x 6" x 15-1/4".

Ive been searching forever and cant find anything thats not overly expensive or massive entertainment centers.

Without knowing what your "budget" is.  I have a variation of this Sanus stand

http://www.amazon.com/Sanus-Systems-AFA-Accurate-Furniture/dp/B00004U8A0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1422771575&sr=8-2&keywords=sanus+accurate

You can use all or only some of the shelves. I replaced the black MDF shelves with some finished bamboo shelves.  It works pretty well.

Surprised to read that Stanton cartridges should be avoided like the plague. I've always used Stanton 500s, and two of the commercial stations I worked at had turntables with these for broadcast use (though they didn't get used a lot as this was the late 1990s and CDs had mostly taken over). The third station used Ortofons (Concorde? I can't remember the exact model but they were very slender and shaped almost like a hook) and these were the Rolls Royce, but very prone to getting damaged in the hands of ham-fisted DJs.

The big thing I have found is that genuine Stanton needles sound tons better than copies. However they have become almost impossible to find these days. I still find that an LP sounds better than a CD played through the same system, and I have tried this flicking between a CD and an LP copy of the same album.

• 2 weeks later...

I have $140 ($200 budget) of best buy credit. I'm looking for some headphones, they have some sennheisers and Polk that I was looking at a well as many other brands I'm unfamiliar with.

They have some Polk buckle that look interesting, but haven't found any reviews with the use of records.

Anyways, here's a link to the headphones. I'm interested in any suggestions whole I continue researching.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/headphones/over-the-ear-headphones/pcmcat143000050011.c?id=pcmcat143000050011

Looking for something that's also portable or mostly home use? What will you use to drive them? Do you have any experience/preference with open vs. closed designs?

If mostly home and from a solid headamp, I'd go AKG Q701. If home and from a "not that good" source, Audio Technica ATH AD900x. If mostly portable, Sennheiser Momentum (the color that's down to $145)

in any case, I think the brown Sennheiser Momentums are the best buy (GET IT?!) at $122 but they may not be exactly what you are looking for.  They're pretty highly rated but I think they're meant to be more for mobile listening.  At home, you usually want full sized open or closed back cans.

I've done a bunch of listening with Momentum on-ear and Momentum over-ear models. The over-ear ones are absolutely amazing. The on-ear model though... meh. I mean, for $122 (I didn't even see that the brown ones are at this price before) still the best deal of the bunch, and I might be biased because I hate on-ear headphones, but sound-wise they're nothing to write home about. Great for portable use because of size and efficiency, but I'd never use them for home listening.

Hey bigbruise, what if you use that $140 best buy credit for something else that you need that's a good deal at best buy or maybe sell it off to a family member or someone and then pick up a pair of headphones on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Momentum-Black-Headphone/dp/B00AZZNXOK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423698000&sr=8-1&keywords=sennheiser+momentum

or http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-598-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B0042A8CW2/ref=pd_sim_e_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=09F0VNQ9VCEP7V482F80

man, does anyone ever buy anything from best buy? the price differences are huge...