Buckethead releases un-masked family photo.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/junebugg5150/image-1.jpg

Not sure how many Buckethead fans we have on here, but good stuff none the less. Anyway, this is some monumental shit right here.

Bucket's been doing a series of short albums called "Pikes" for about 3 years now, and everyone was expecting something big for #13, (His favorite number, seriously makes Jack White's obsession with "3" look like nothing.) but this is completely out of left field. The kid is Bucket at like 14-ish, and the man is almost certainly his father. His dad had been recently hospitalized with health problems, so take that as you will.

Also, posting a link rather than the pic, in case someone doesn't want to ruin the "mystique". 'Cause that would totally happen.

Discuss!

I remember seeing a picture of him from before he did the whole buckethead persona thing. It was from an old as fuck guitar magazine where people sent in a bio of themselves and told the reader a little about their playing. Don't remember the text, but remember his fingers in the picture were scarily long.

I remember seeing a picture of him from before he did the whole buckethead persona thing. It was from an old as fuck guitar magazine where people sent in a bio of themselves and told the reader a little about their playing. Don't remember the text, but remember his fingers in the picture were scarily long.

do72ux.jpg

who is buckethead?  i only know of pumpkinhead.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=buckethead

So he's one of the greatest (or at least most talented) guitarists alive today. He's had the buckethead persona since the early 90s and has always tried to hide his actual identity behind the axe-shredding, mask-wielding alter ego. Sure, if you looked hard enough, or now just have to google, you can find pictures of what the guy looks like, which 10 years ago was not the case. However, this is the first picture he has released of himself, so this may be the time in his life where he feels ready to take a step out from behind the buckethead persona and make music as Brian Carroll. Or maybe he's just paying tribute to his father. Either way, it's pretty cool that after all these years he finally gave his fans something of his actual self, since he had never done that before.

what's the big deal with this guy? i really think people are more interested in his absurd gimmick  of a show than his abilities. that's like just my opinion man. :P

no seriously, what makes this guy so good? is it the mystique that draws people toward his goofy ass? i know it isn't his inane use of arpeggios and scales that would make a 3 hour wesley willis instrumental sound inviting.

what's the big deal with this guy? i really think people are more interested in his absurd gimmick  of a show than his abilities. that's like just my opinion man. :P

no seriously, what makes this guy so good? is it the mystique that draws people toward his goofy ass? i know it isn't his inane use of arpeggios and scales that would make a 3 hour wesley willis instrumental sound inviting.

lol

1:30....

yeah, still doesn't impress me. but then again, when you've seen NITRO Live there's really no one who can impress you when it comes to technical prowess on guitar. dude makes buckethead's speed and dexterity more akin to bb king. stanley jordan did the same. very few people can play with the musical abilities they have and do it well. while i am not really a fan of botello's music, his abilities on guitar surpass that of any other guitar player still to date. jordan on the other hand is a phenomenal jazz musician who's ability combined with his emotion made for astonishing shows. thank god he finally got rid of those damn shoulder pads in his suits.. even my mom was laughing. 

i'm not saying buckethead is a bad guitarist, just not sure why people are so impressed by him and put him on a pedestal. if he didn't wear a damn bucket on his had and mask he probably wouldn't be recognized any other way.  dude is clown shoes. 

when you've seen NITRO Live there's really no one who can impress you when it comes to technical prowess on guitar

dude, do you play guitar?

batio is amazing, but people impress me every day.

anyone that can do shit i can't do, gets mad respect from me.

check out this kid. his band is terrible (ever forthright?), but he's amazing.

i'm not saying hes bad. just overhyped. he's like steve vai. most of his appeal comes from his goofy hats and stage presence. 

sorta like gg allin. music sucks but his appeal is his attitude and live shows. hell that's what got me to go to his show, otherwise he's just a singer in a run of the mill punk band. hope that makes sense.

soothsayer still gives me chills.  I have no idea if it's technical or otherwise super hard to play, but I don't really care -- it's just a damn good song.  oh, and the song goes great with his mask.  seeing a face that was doing anything other than holding back tears or something would totally ruin it.

now will someone please press a 45 rpm 12" with soothsayer on both sides?  then if I wear out the a-side, I've still got soothsayer on the b-side.

other than that, I have little else to add to this conversation :)