Got rid of Cable TV No regrets

When I moved back to Florida last year I said fuck cable.  Same as you I pay about $65 for internet, but with so many streaming options I haven't missed out on anything.  

The biggest thing for me was with cable I found myself sitting around watching stupid shit.  I have no problem downloading or watching something that I intend to do, but with cable I would sit on the couch, flip through channels and literally just waste time.  Fuck that.

also, I think there's already a thread about this...

Yeah, I gave the finger to cable/Directv a few years ago. Scammers who are destined to fall. I bought an antenna for local stations, stream Netflix on my Roku, which also gives me access to a bunch of other options. I miss some of the sports, but I can go to a bar and get drunk while watching the game instead of giving it to pay TV. People are suckers who pay all that money. Once those companies start realizing that they are losing money they will have to start charging reasonable prices. Plus it pisses me off that Directv has a monopoly on football. Screw 'em.

I ditched cable a few years ago and don't miss it one bit! It saves so much money. When you have free things like Hulu and Crackle and OTA tv, and stuff like Netflix/Amazon Prime/Hulu Plus, you're set. If you do "other" things, even better! Also, if you have a computer with hdmi out, that sweetens everything since you can watch stuff on your tv without upgrading your service (ie hulu to hulu plus)

In the club as well. Usenet at times and private torrents others. Use my parents Netflix account (not that I couldn't get my own, but why not share up until the point that Netflix says too many devices).

Have the digital antenna but pretty much only gets used during football season. Did the streaming thing for a while with other sports but ended up buying a used slingbox for $70 on eBay and attaching it to my sisters cable. Well worth it.

Even though I use torrents now I still use sickbeard to track when new episodes of my shows come out.

Total cost a month is just $30 for the AT&T Internet. I got them to give me the gateway when I signed up.

Think that is about all I have to share. It was a little weird without cable for a couple weeks but I have no intention of going back. Maybe if they cut their price to $30 a month with every channel included I'd go back. Pretty far away from that ever happening though.

Cable TV is bullshit. I can't stand having to watch all the damn commercials for products that I will never buy/make a point to never buy. Plus the Discovery and History channels seem to be awful now. Netflix4lyfe

We haven't had cable for over a year. don't miss it at all. the only show I watched religiously was bad girls club (yeah... terrible) so It was a good decision for me. I would like to watch some HBO shows but I haven't even had time to finish arrested development on Netflix. So HBO will have to wait.

In the exact same boat. If it wasn't for ESPN and the like, I'd probably get rid of cable. I've been contemplating it for quite some time now.

The answer to this problem is a slingbox. Unless you really have to have your sports in super-hd. It comes through in more like standard definition but is dependent on some other factors (mostly, the amount of free bandwidth wherever you hook it up).

The answer to this problem is a slingbox. Unless you really have to have your sports in super-hd. It comes through in more like standard definition but is dependent on some other factors (mostly, the amount of free bandwidth wherever you hook it up).

But in order for the slingbox to work you still gotta have those channels at home, which means paying for cable. No?

But in order for the slingbox to work you still gotta have those channels at home, which means paying for cable. No?

Mine is hooked up to my sister's basement cable box, which is rarely used.

Worst case, everyone should have a buddy they can say "hey, let me hook this up to your tv and I'll chip in $5 towards your cable bill" or something like that.

The less the cable box is used the better (since you cannot broadcast a different channel than what is being watched by someone) but it's just not a big deal in general if you hook it up in the right place. If it is, you can always just call the cable company and add an extra box at their house for $8 a month.

Just moved into my new place and decided not to get cable. I've got Netflix and I'm giving Hulu plus a try for the free week. I like it quite a bit and at only $8 a month I'll probably keep it.

I'll figure out sports once football season starts. Does anyone have experience with HD antennas?

Yes. I bought one or about $30 off amazon (although apparently you can make your own...). Works great for football games, except in bad storms. Then I fall back to streaming or slingbox. The quality is awesome, though, weather permitting. Just like having Fox HD. Totally worth it if you like NFL and go cable-less.

You also pick up some weird channels not carried by cable.