Got rid of Cable TV No regrets

Saw this article on yahoo. Was already thinking about doing it. Now I'm pretty sure I am going to. Any tips from people who have done it?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/First-Person-How-We-Cut-Cord-ac-4204109190.html?x=0

I already have netflix, could get mlb.tv for baseball games (is there an online service for football games? those are the only two sports I care about).

ive been doing this since 2007/2008;

i have netflix and can watch it on my tv.

i download torrents for tv shows i need to watch ASAP. i can see these through my xbox and on tv too.

hulu, tbs.com, comedycentral.com for the rest

for sports (hockey and soccer) i watch through p2p streaming and supposedly NHL center ice is coming to xbox "soon"

i can't really google p2p streaming at work so i cant get you the links, but there are web pages/messageboards where people post links to streams for games (on justin.tv, ustream, etc) and also host streams using programs like streamtorrent, sopcast, tvants.

on the messageboards they even have how to guides to get you all set up.

I haven't had cable since it was included with rent 9 years ago.

Don't have a TV anymore either. It is awesome. Very rarely will I catch a "modern family" on abc.com, but that is it!

I've gone without cable with about a year and it's been awesome. Between Netflix, the library, stuff on Hulu, and "other" ways, you can see everything you want anyways.

Right now I have a Ps3 and an old PC hooked to my tv. For baseball/sports, I've been using Sopcast and have been able to watch some hockey and soccer games. When baseball season hits, I'll be using it for that as well.

One thing I've learned is that it's a lot easier than you think.

Edit: Another thing to try is when you cut out cable, hook the cable up to your tv still. I do this and get all the local and OTA channels

I've gone without cable with about a year and it's been awesome. Between Netflix, the library, stuff on Hulu, and "other" ways, you can see everything you want anyways.

Right now I have a Ps3 and an old PC hooked to my tv. For baseball/sports, I've been using Sopcast and have been able to watch some hockey and soccer games. When baseball season hits, I'll be using it for that as well.

One thing I've learned is that it's a lot easier than you think.

Edit: Another thing to try is when you cut out cable, hook the cable up to your tv still. I do this and get all the local and OTA channels

Good to know. I'm still going to buy 1 hd antenna from amazon and see how it goes. I have two 47"+ HDtvs so it would be nice to still get HD.

i live off campus at school and we don't have cable. we stream/download pretty much everything we need, and can even usually find college basketball and football streams. i thought i wasn't going to like not having cable, but the only thing i miss is having it for news in the morning really, and sometimes the daily show/colbert report

I already have netflix, could get mlb.tv for baseball games (is there an online service for football games? those are the only two sports I care about).

I've been without cable for years now. For TV shows generally I download from tvtorrents. For movies/other shows I use Netflix dvd/streaming. I also have a subscription for mlb.tv and I also have a roku box that I can use the subscription on. As for football at least for this year I have an HDTV antenna (http://www.amazon.com/Terk-Technology-HDTVi-Indoor-Antenna/dp/B0001FV36E/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1295634654&sr=8-4) and I've been picking up all the games this season(at least locally ie Packers and Bears) I get nbc, cbs, and fox so you'd be covered.

I have had no cable for just over a year! It is the second time I 'quit' the box. I only watch TV shows on Netflix or buy the boxset. Its worth having it commercial free. The first time I got rid of cable it was for 8 months. After that I lived in a place which included cable for four years. I originally got rid of it because cable in Canada is about $35-$40 for 29 channels and about $40-$50 for about 60 channels!!! But, after going back to having cable I noticed I wanted fast food all the time for NO REASON where before I never wanted fast food.

Now that I haven't had cable again for the last year, I get way more done and want stuff less. I don't think I will ever bother with cable again.

RLSLOG.NET

MEGARELEASE.NET

fileserve, hotfile, and megaupload links to everything on TV worth watching. If you live on the west coast, like I do, you can often get stuff on these sites before it airs over here. Can't recommend enough. Cable is included with our rent but it's SD and we only turn it on if we're REALLY bored.

PS3+PS3 Media Server and you're set to watch in the comfort of your living room!

www.atdhe.net is amazing for sports.

it's based out of europe, so you can watch tons of soccer games and other stuff, but you can also see all the baseball/football/basketball/hockey that's on the air in america, too. i've been without cable for a year and a half, and don't miss it one bit. i'll never get cable again.

^^^ beat me to it, haha.