Handsome --- just saw this..never before on vinyl

The funny part is that I asked for store credit, not cash! I felt badly canceling so I said I'd find something there worth buying. But I'm the asshole supporting communism or whatever is the bad thing nowadays.

Nice work, thievesdont.

I never bother with Twitter (gives me a headache) but shit like this is too much fun. I should probably have a gif of MJ eating popcorn here.

Untitled1.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Apparently we all just need to get on Twitter and raise hell. Navigating that awful interface might be worth the $20.

EDIT: Welcome to the VC, csjulien. I guess you came aboard while I was cutting and pasting. It would be one thing if they even bothered to offer store credit. It was basically like, "no, get lost".

No Sleep says: "@csjulien @6131records on what we do. But in the end our site says no returns only exchanges on apparel when wrong sizing, etc"

Well, I hate to break it to them, but canceling a currently unfulfilled order does not constitute a "return". It doesn't say "no cancellations or refunds". They're really not saving any face here.

Luckily I like the Swellers enough that I won't cancel that order. Oh wait, I wouldn't get a refund any because that is their new policy.

No Sleep says: "@csjulien @6131records on what we do. But in the end our site says no returns only exchanges on apparel when wrong sizing, etc"

Well, I hate to break it to them, but canceling a currently unfulfilled order does not constitute a "return". It doesn't say "no cancellations or refunds". They're really not saving any face here.

I don't want anyone to think that I'm taking sides here, although it probably looks that way.

Just figured that being I have the resources/ability to at least get SOME clarification from members regarding the entire situation, I should go ahead and do it.

I'm presenting whats been given to me and going on that. Nothing I've said is bullshit, I didn't mock anything, I didn't retype words, etc. 

All I wanted to do was cancel one color, being that I ordered the other, and buy SRC's pressing which - on paper - looks like it's gonna be great. No refund? That's fine. I'll still pick it up and save one for another member here. I'm just not a huge fan of them insulting people just for asking for a refund, and insinuating that people aren't true fans because of it. Whatever, that's their prerogative.

We do know this:

SRC was granted rights earlier this summer. According to Peter, they (Handsome) were aware of this.

6131 are massive fans of the record, and they too put in a request for the rights. According to Peter, 6131 was unsure if they were going to release it after finding this out.. but they ended up getting the license as well and announced theirs in July.

SRC announced theirs after getting all details together yesterday.

The vinyl community then ended up turning itself into one giant butthole. 

Word. And I would probably want to keep my copy under normal/previous financial conditions, but for fuck's sake I only bought 3 records all summer (Iron Chic, Crash Of Rhinos, and this) and if I'm going to spend some money on it, I want a kick-ass version if it's available. I find it hard to believe I'll be able to break even on selling it when it couldn't even sell out 500 on a preorder (although I guess that might have something to do with 6131's rep after the subscription fiasco). That's the funny thing. Most people under 30 probably couldn't care less about this, and it's probably not going to sell enough to make anybody a significant sum of money. Then again, I'm hopeful the controversy will spur interest in what I think is horribly slept on fantastic album and band.

According to No Sleep:

@csjulien @6131records since the license money sony got from both will just go into the bands probably unrecouped account.. So yes to question *** since they have a shirt the band get money from.

So why are they flipping out RE: SRC pressing it and being this evil entity, when according to them Handsome likely won't get money from their pressing either. Let's say they don't get paid. Now they've got two ways of recouping the label. And if they do get paid? Then they've got two sources of income for something that was released 16 years ago.

If 6131 didn't have their logo on the back of the shirt (they're not signed to 6131 Records) and if all proceeds from the shirt went directly to the band, then I'd understand them using the t-shirt thing as an excuse. 

Sorry to keep adding to this, but they also hinted at Quicksand not being happy with this repress.

- They personally licensed it to RJ.

- When that shit happened, Walter worked it out with Dine Alone and SRC to reissue the record.

- Quicksand had input on Slip and Manic Compression, and even dug up old photos to use for the inside of the Slip gatefold, along with the extra promo shot that was included for the MC poster and gatefold. 

- Quicksand were given copies of the record to sell both on tour, AND in their webstore.

- To add to that, if Quicksand were so unhappy, why would Walter personally do business with them yet again for the Rival Schools - Found release? Walter owned the tapes. There was no way for SRC to "go behind his back" to buy the license and press it without his approval. 

Glad Thievesdont got the real story on this. I was already thinking if Walter likes working with SRC then they can't be terrible to work with. I'm keeping my 6131 record, but I am completely embarrassed by how they handled the whole thing. How are they going to say that they weren't accusing SRC's version of being a bootleg until everyone found out the truth? They posted their claims all over twitter and shit.

Anybody notice the troll in here that writes things remarkably similar to those posted by 6131 on Twitter and is apparently trying to do nothing more than rile people up? Strange.

As the information has unfolded, I've realized that the timing of everything seems to make sense with what Peter said and lines up with 6131's apparent lack of character. If 6131 knew that SRC was already seeking or had gotten the license from Sony, then it seems obvious to me that they threw together a minimal package and put up the pre-order two months out so they could cash in before SRC had the chance to finalize all the deluxe details and put up their own pre-order. Slap the album cover on a t-shirt and piggyback their logo on it, and voila! It seems apparent that Joey had an ax to grind with SRC before this release ever came about, and it looks to me like he took the opportunity to undercut them by releasing an inferior product and putting up the pre-order ASAP. (Disclaimer: I do not KNOW this happened. I'm theorizing based on the evidence at hand.)

And I really can't get over how poorly both 6131 and No Sleep have handled the fallout. Their responses on Twitter reek of desperation, angry panic, and trying to cover up/deflect from being caught red-handed.

I don't know if he's talking about you, but I am. Tell me why I need to get a life. I tried to cancel an order and have been denied for a ridiculous reason. Others are in the same boat. So, in responding to this thread with nothing other than get a life, you my friend, need to practice what you preach.

haha holy shit man get a life!

I don't know if he's talking about you, but I am. Tell me why I need to get a life. I tried to cancel an order and have been denied for a ridiculous reason. Others are in the same boat. So, in responding to this thread with nothing other than get a life, you my friend, need to practice what you preach.

well that was actually for the detective who reposted your twitter conversation.

but fuck it, you get a life too. i think SRC is putting up a preorder for one next week