****PayPal Seller Fees And Not Gifting Payments****

Shitty Rambo

i usually send as a gift if its someone i'm familiar with and don't if its not. when i'm selling things i'd rather someone just cover the fees, but in my last round of sales i had a few people send as a gift without me even asking them to. i'm an honest person and would never screw anyone over but sometimes shit happens and i sure as hell don't trust the USPS. rule of thumb for me on buying/selling is no gifts over $50 and insurance is required on items near/over $100. that way if something happens, then both the buyer and the seller are protected. you also have to be careful because i think any items over $250 require signature confirmation to be covered by paypal's seller protection.

It's always going to be a gamble. Use your best judgement when paying someone on here for anything. If the seller is an established seller with ample feedback (positive of course) and active member of the community, you could feel safe enough to send the payment as gift. But don't feel like that's the only option. Again, it all comes down how comfortable you feel with the person and the type of sale happening. 

Take me for example. I don't sell much on here or even eBay. But in the few occasions I have sold records to other VC members, I have suggested to pay as gift if they want. I'm not going to get upset if they don't. My reputation precedes me of course. I'm not out to scam anyone or rip anyone off. And conversely, I have bought plenty from other established VCers who I know are not out to scam. As a matter of fact, I have a purchase in the process with a well-known VCer who I had no issue paying as gift. 

Again, it all comes to using your judgement and what kind of standing the individual has on the boards. If you feel the slightest of being uncomfortable, then don't do it. Pay as normal. And at times even Paypal will ask you the payer to pay the fee. I've done it just to cover my own ass in any type of scam of rip-off. Which thankfully has yet to happen to me. 

I've demanded it out of a few buyers before who've just created a username and have 1-5 posts and want to buy something for security reasons.

In 3 years on VC and DF, I've had a 100+ transactions, most of which were selling/trading with others. If that's not dependability, then I don't know what is. But, I would never force a gift payment out of someone who's been around a little bit of time.

for someone who just rejoined this board, i give you this piece of advice from a seller standpoint: 

If you sell enough records to people (as i do), Paypal WILL notice too many gifts and will yell at you

and threaten to deny ANY gifts in the future.

just so you know. 

note: unlike more 'pro' labels, i still accept them from time to time (i ask for total w/fees+postage and they still send as gifts),

but i dont try to make a habit of it. 

when selling, i ask the buyer to send as a gift usually (given my feedback they usually feel comfortable), but i also say that if they DONT feel comfortable gifting then to just add the fee onto the payment. so i give both options, it just depends on what they wanna do.

ive never ever scammed anybody here, and always get people their stuff that they pay for. a few situational factors sometimes delay my shipment, but im always face forward with communication. so yeah, people are usually comfortable with gifting me cause they know they will get their shit, so i feel like with reputable people its sometimes ok to send as a gift. like ill totally gift juan without any doubt in my mind. 

Paypal does take notice of how many gifting transactions are going on and started charging a fee to gift-- sometimes, erratically, haven't quite figured out their 'flag' system yet (and don't want to).

I never ask for gift when selling ,but if they want, that is awesome

I usually offer to pay the 3% fee when buying if seller wants it gifted, small amt, and stuff does happen; also, as above higher $ items get insured.

• 4 weeks later...

i've sold and bought 100's of posters, in that community gift payments aren't even considered.  

since i've been here, i've sent three gift payments.  one was a scam, one was lost or stolen off my stoop, and the third was the Lillingtons box. I don't plan on sending another gift payment.

i get the whole Paypal is evil thing but selling stuff comes at a cost.  it's kind when a buyer takes some of the burden, but i think it's silly to think that it's the buyers responsibility to tow the rope. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've had trouble with sending as a gift before, I payed immediately for the record and the seller shipped it out well over a week later, and that was with asking for updates as to what was going on.

I'd have no problem always sending as a gift but some people will take advantage of that, that's the sad truth

• 2 weeks later...

I used to be involved with the tf2 item trading community, and several times sold/bought tf2 items using paypal money. We almost always used the gift option because PayPal doesn't do anything if someone is scammed since it's virtual items, no matter the payment option. So I'm glad I read this before I did something I might regret on here!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...