The " I couldnt find a photography thread, so i made one" thread

the search function yielded no results.

Anyone here a photographer like myself? professional/amateur/semi pro? 

share your work maybe?

In 2008 I graduated from The New England School of Photography. 

My buddies band just hired me to document their recording process. these are some of my favorites from last night when they were tracking guitars and bass.

tumblr_mq34ovHOYy1qz5z88o8_1280.jpg

tumblr_mq34ovHOYy1qz5z88o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_mq34ovHOYy1qz5z88o4_1280.jpg

tumblr_mq34ovHOYy1qz5z88o6_1280.jpg

yes! haha ive been debating on making a thread. ive even talked to futurekills about an idea i had on having some sort of photo critique where we can share and give/receive feedback. but im not sure on a way that we can all patiently take turns and make sure everyone who wants to show can and get some critique, if youre open to trying to figure this shit out, msg me man. NESOP 4EVER

and yes the b&w looks good.

yes! haha ive been debating on making a thread. ive even talked to futurekills about an idea i had on having some sort of photo critique where we can share and give/receive feedback. but im not sure on a way that we can all patiently take turns and make sure everyone who wants to show can and get some critique, if youre open to trying to figure this shit out, msg me man. NESOP 4EVER

and yes the b&w looks good.

When I saw this I thought you had made it, haha.

Latin-- Do you use NIK for your black and white processing?

very crisp, nice lighting. most b/w arent done correctly and look like ass.

just bounce a speedlite?

i always shoot RAW and over expose.

are they 'dapping' in the first pic? or passing along 'something'?

yup, simple bounce with the TTL.....ive never shot in any other file format than raw... haha.

they are handing a guitar pick to one another. 

i had no clue what it was until i looked it up...yea im totally going to use this. yea i have a few plugins...nothing crazy though. I'm very minimal when it comes to post processing.

Nik is awesome, definitely look into buying it! Even if you just get Silver Efex for your black and white work. It's totally worth it.

The entire process of Lightroom is backwards compared to Photoshop.  The biggest differences you don't even see happening, such as the fact that Lightroom is completely lossless.  Photoshop degrades the quality of the image each time you open it and work on it.  In Lightroom, you are merely working on a digital copy (also a thumbnail preview) of your original RAW file. No quality loss.

As far as features, Lightroom 4 has what I believe to be the biggest jump compared to Photoshop.  Adobe has since released LR5, but I haven't used it yet.

Everybody's workflow is different. For me, I load all of my RAW files onto my external harddrive which also houses my LR catalog, then I import to LR, do all of my base/foundation editing using plug ins, then I export a copy of my edits and from there work on the images in Photoshop for more detail editing.

love the crispness of the photos in the first post, matt. good stuff. wish my shots had that kind of depth and texture.

i always shoot RAW and over expose.

me too, always. haha

Not gonna lie, pretty stoked we finally have a post about this. Here are a couple of mine.

9297538911_5c7015880f_b.jpg

i have a couple of pieces of art from the same guy who did the piece your subject is holding. cool!

love the crispness of the photos in the first post, matt. good stuff. wish my shots had that kind of depth and texture.

me too, always. haha

i have a couple of pieces of art from the same guy who did the piece your subject is holding. cool!

That's awesome, i love his stuff. 

I just got a Ricoh GR V that i have been playing with as a backup to my Canon. I have to say that for a point and shoot, it gets some nice results. 

9313839544_7f0f6704ac_b.jpg
51/365 by JacobMckinley, on Flickr

That's awesome, i love his stuff. 

I just got a Ricoh GR V that i have been playing with as a backup to my Canon. I have to say that for a point and shoot, it gets some nice results. 

9313839544_7f0f6704ac_b.jpg
51/365 by JacobMckinley, on Flickr

is this photo from a point and shoot? not bad at all. 

so im thinking about doing a small photo book after documenting this whole recording process with my buddies band. i honestly think it would sell pretty well at shows here in austin. its going to be like a 4 month project. I think im going to use the money they are paying me to fund it.  im also doing video for them. now ive never actually done video editing on a large scale, when I was in school DSLR's didnt have the capability of shooting video so ive had to learn everything on my own. what I love about doing videos for bands is that it can look sloppy and still come out ok. also having one hand and attempting to focus WHILE shooting is a bitch. this was my first result.

EDIT: this sint my first video for them. i did their tour videos a few years ago. but this is my first with a DSLR.