The " I couldnt find a photography thread, so i made one" thread

do photography more as a hobby. Not necessarily very good at it, but I enjoy taking pictures of cars and nature.

That's cool! Show us! I like that you admit it's a hobby, too many people call themselves professional photographers just because the own a decent dslr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68121253@N04/7143541291/

obviously from there you can see my other stuff too, hahah. I have a T2i with stock 18-55 as well as the cheapo 50 1.8.

Also, I like disposable cameras. Did shoot some rolls of film when I was taking a photo class, but totally forgot where I put them.

James from Make Do and Mend.

8114462012_e509b45fec_c.jpg

Been waiting for a photography thread! I want to make a living shooting, but I'm too busy saving up and getting out of debt to commit full time. I want to buy a decent printer to start selling prints. An epson R3000 would be great!

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&sku=C11CA86201

Anyone here do prints?

Been waiting for a photography thread! I want to make a living shooting, but I'm too busy saving up and getting out of debt to commit full time. I want to buy a decent printer to start selling prints. An epson R3000 would be great!

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&sku=C11CA86201

Anyone here do prints?

When i do prints, i find costco to be an amazing value and surprisingly decent as far as quality is concerned. 

Photography is pretty much just a serious hobby for the time being, but I'm trying to turn it into a more prominent role in my life and income. Prefer to work with the urban landscape, but also do commercially toned works (product shots, stock, food, band photos, etc). Feel free to glance over some images here!

tumblr_m7ajcrCYSu1r1k6mto1_500.jpg

tumblr_ma82a74Ed71r1k6mto1_500.jpg

9317240621_af756b1c0b.jpg

(full res)

(sorry the quality looks terrible on here)

Anyone here do prints?

I bought an Epson R2880 for college.  I still have it, but I rarely have a reason to print my own stuff anymore.  I used to work at a camera store/lab, so when I do print things, it's just less of a hassle (& cheaper - ink, man.) to have them do it.

Photography is pretty much just a serious hobby for the time being, but I'm trying to turn it into a more prominent role in my life and income. Prefer to work with the urban landscape, but also do commercially toned works (product shots, stock, food, band photos, etc). Feel free to glance over some images here!

tumblr_ma82a74Ed71r1k6mto1_500.jpg

Color palette is killer here.

I consider photography a hobby.  But it's a hobby that I really enjoy and I would love to make a living doing.  Maybe someday right?

My dog acting like he'll eat your face off

8496939983_3d58c068e9_z.jpg

Some cloud work I've been working on

5438133874_48ea0f7f37_z.jpg

digging the clouds....

when I first graduated I got tons of work.. i was doing 10-15 weddings a year, portrait work etc, and making great money doing it. Now no one wants to pay what good photographers are worth because some family member "has a nice camera" . it sucks that its so much harder to find paid work than it was 5-6 years ago.  I got paid to tour with bands for a while because I did so much touring not getting paid that my portfolio was HUGE. its been interesting watching digital photography grow. When I started at NESOP, digital was just becoming huge. the 20D was the best prosumer camera you could get at like 11 megapixles. I remember the first lightroom beta and it was insane to me, in a good way.

digging the clouds....

when I first graduated I got tons of work.. i was doing 10-15 weddings a year, portrait work etc, and making great money doing it. Now no one wants to pay what good photographers are worth because some family member "has a nice camera" . it sucks that its so much harder to find paid work than it was 5-6 years ago.  I got paid to tour with bands for a while because I did so much touring not getting paid that my portfolio was HUGE. its been interesting watching digital photography grow. When I started at NESOP, digital was just becoming huge. the 20D was the best prosumer camera you could get at like 11 megapixles. I remember the first lightroom beta and it was insane to me, in a good way.

THIS. Working at a camera store was the worst thing for my confidence as someone who went college, put in the time and money to be professionally (and classically) taught "good" photography, only to see these stay at home moms who have nothing better to do but pick up a camera and start selling their services to their friends to the point where they are registered with the state as an LLC and make insane amounts of money with absolutely no talent.

It's the worst feeling.

THIS. Working at a camera store was the worst thing for my confidence as someone who went college, put in the time and money to be professionally (and classically) taught "good" photography, only to see these stay at home moms who have nothing better to do but pick up a camera and start selling their services to their friends to the point where they are registered with the state as an LLC and make insane amounts of money with absolutely no talent.

It's the worst feeling.

I used to love going in to camera shops. then once everyone became jaded (including myself) they started treating me like I didn't know what I was talking about. it was so bad one time i complained to the manager. I told them what i needed and the basically said "you wouldn't know how to use that and probably don't have the money to spend" the manager offered me %10 my purchase and I politely told him to fuck off.

It's the worst feeling.

THIS times a million. i hear your pain. feel it too. it cost me a lot to learn this shit. most people list on their site "i prefer the outdoors' well asshole, you dont have a set up and dont know how to run one.

then they pick the font papyrus as a watermark thats in like 20pt across the whole bottom.

thats why i put photography as secondary now. too much BS.

next up: shitty facebook photographer links

THIS times a million. i hear your pain. feel it too. it cost me a lot to learn this shit. most people list on their site "i prefer the outdoors' well asshole, you dont have a set up and dont know how to run one.

then they pick the font papyrus as a watermark thats in like 20pt across the whole bottom.

thats why i put photography as secondary now. too much BS.

next up: shitty facebook photographer links

I understand your frustration with the photography industry and paying way too much to learn a trade that others just pick up and do (albeit really, really poorly) without any formal training and still make money from it.  That sucks.  

But I personally love the fact that photography is so readily accessible.  Literally ANYONE with $100 can pick up a decent camera and take decent photos.  It's great that our society is so image-friendly and that anyone can create images of what they see around them.  It's really interesting to be able to see anything from another person's perspective and the accessibility of photography is one of the things that really pushes that boundary between another person's eyes and yourself.  Not that everyone charging for their services deserves the money they're getting paid.  Because I'd say 75% of them don't.

That said, stay-at-home moms who have etsy shops/shit-websites with terrible photographs are the worst...