The " I couldnt find a photography thread, so i made one" thread

3 hours ago, ianmonsta said:

Actually none of them are. Heres a couple HDRs I did a few months back.

api?X-Location=https%3A%2F%2Fcc-us1-prod

These are waaaaaaaaaaaaaay overdone IMO. The saturation levels are completely unnatural and the halo-effect makes it look too obvious that these are all heavily post-processed. By all means, if you like it, keep doing you but the images you posted on the previous page were much better. 

Do you shoot in RAW? I feel like if you properly exposed all of these images and just tweaked them a little bit in Camera Raw (or whichever software you use), you'd have more interesting results. Just my two cents. 

17 minutes ago, rabbitvinyl said:

These are waaaaaaaaaaaaaay overdone IMO. The saturation levels are completely unnatural and the halo-effect makes it look too obvious that these are all heavily post-processed. By all means, if you like it, keep doing you but the images you posted on the previous page were much better. 

Do you shoot in RAW? I feel like if you properly exposed all of these images and just tweaked them a little bit in Camera Raw (or whichever software you use), you'd have more interesting results. Just my two cents. 

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of HDR but I like the play with it occasionally.

I do shoot RAW, for these I was specifically shooting a set of bracketed images to mess with in Photomatix.

• 2 months later...

Some recent photos I liked, as always, they are not edited at all (because I still don't know how to edit/clean up)

I did take some great shots of my my niece and nephew (probably the best photos I have taken, but I don't want them all over the internet)

ebaDLZT.jpg

1jJOf26.jpg

tTcTjtr.jpg

feoIoCh.jpg

baMc23J.jpg

I know they aren't anything special, but as always... any tips/tricks would be very much appreciated!

On 8/31/2016 at 7:16 PM, Snaggle Von Swift said:

Some recent photos I liked, as always, they are not edited at all (because I still don't know how to edit/clean up)

Nice shots, you should get Adobe Lightroom and watch some editing videos on Youtube, Serge Ramelli has some really good tutorials https://www.youtube.com/user/cmoeu

You can do a $10 a month subscription to Lightroom and Photoshop, plus is give you some cloud storage which i find really useful.

Lightroom mobile is free and is pretty decent as well.

13 hours ago, ianmonsta said:

Nice shots, you should get Adobe Lightroom and watch some editing videos on Youtube, Serge Ramelli has some really good tutorials https://www.youtube.com/user/cmoeu

You can do a $10 a month subscription to Lightroom and Photoshop, plus is give you some cloud storage which i find really useful.

Nice Tutorials! Thanks for the headsup...my sister's boyfriend always told me about Lightroom, but I'm a lazy ass...may give it a try after watching those videos.

Took those two in the Netherlands last week...I think the second one will look great with some editing in Lightroom

_dsc004841o4t.jpg

dsc_0152jqoqs.jpg

18 hours ago, ianmonsta said:

Will certainly look into this, thanks!

1 hour ago, Sasan said:

Does it also work with NEF?

yeah it should, Lightroom has profiles built in for almost all major camera brands raw formats. Generally the only time they don't is for new cameras, but they generally update it pretty soon after releases.

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

Edited by ianmonsta

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, MicLima said:

Nice stuff in here.  I don't think I can post pics yet but will throw some stuff up when I'm able.  I've been out of it for a while though which kinda sucks, gotta get back into it.

Shooting with a Pentax K20D w/50mm f1.4 or Tamron 18-170mm.

I felt the same after leaving photography school. I didn't shoot for about two years because all my inspiration was sucked dry and it became tedious just like any other job. Luckily, I've found the time to get out more these days and shoot with some friends. I also find traveling or exploring helps. 

Also, a fellow Pentax shooter! That makes two of us, haha. The K100D was my first digital SLR and now I shoot with a K7 and a Fuji x100s. As much as I love the Fuji, I'm locked into the Pentax system because it's the best value my money can buy and there are so many APSC lenses on the used market.  

But my dad has the K20D and still uses it frequently, it's a pretty capable little camera! You should definitely try and find time to post stuff here. This thread isn't nearly as active as it should be. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2016 at 3:14 PM, rabbitvinyl said:

I felt the same after leaving photography school. I didn't shoot for about two years because all my inspiration was sucked dry and it became tedious just like any other job. Luckily, I've found the time to get out more these days and shoot with some friends. I also find traveling or exploring helps. 

Also, a fellow Pentax shooter! That makes two of us, haha. The K100D was my first digital SLR and now I shoot with a K7 and a Fuji x100s. As much as I love the Fuji, I'm locked into the Pentax system because it's the best value my money can buy and there are so many APSC lenses on the used market.  

But my dad has the K20D and still uses it frequently, it's a pretty capable little camera! You should definitely try and find time to post stuff here. This thread isn't nearly as active as it should be. 

Sweet!  I'll post some up when I can.  Pentaxians unite!

Really want the K1 but don't know if I should jump on the FF bandwagon....decisions, decisions....

yeah i hope more people will post more here - its great to show work, even if you're not confident in your own work. you can learn a lot from other artists. you can even learn something about yourself, which is awesome. 

thats the one thing i miss about school, is our critiques. we would bring in prints and take turns discussing everyones work and what we thought. 

• 6 months later...

I've been tinkering with getting back into photography since discovering that my phone (Galaxy S7 edge) has a beast of a camera. I'm entirely a hobbyist, so I'm sure someone with actual knowledge of photography could probably tear these to shreds, but here's a few that have been sitting on my memory card since Christmas that I somewhat fancy.  

I took these at work, using the stock camera app, pro setting (I think?) and no filters. No editing after the fact either, because I didn't realize until recently that I can shoot in RAW made as well.

20161224_193937_zpscbmkm0rl.jpg

20161224_194749_zpsdovdf7ly.jpg

20161224_194431_zpsjeytuizy.jpg

• 1 year later...