The " I couldnt find a photography thread, so i made one" thread

THIS times a million. i hear your pain. feel it too. it cost me a lot to learn this shit. most people list on their site "i prefer the outdoors' well asshole, you dont have a set up and dont know how to run one.

then they pick the font papyrus as a watermark thats in like 20pt across the whole bottom.

thats why i put photography as secondary now. too much BS.

next up: shitty facebook photographer links

I like you

My ISO was Bumped alll the way up....im really still impressed with how good it looks at like 6400

yeah they looked good man

i love shooting with a high iso (up your iso)

when i was shooting the bruins for glens class i shot entire hockey game at 6400. he didnt even know until he looked at the metadata on the last frame.

the mk2 is amazing. these were shot at 25,600 ISO. this photo was used in my final review. 

BU_Swim_by_henster311.jpg

I understand your frustration with the photography industry and paying way too much to learn a trade that others just pick up and do (albeit really, really poorly) without any formal training and still make money from it. That sucks.

But I personally love the fact that photography is so readily accessible. Literally ANYONE with $100 can pick up a decent camera and take decent photos. It's great that our society is so image-friendly and that anyone can create images of what they see around them. It's really interesting to be able to see anything from another person's perspective and the accessibility of photography is one of the things that really pushes that boundary between another person's eyes and yourself. Not that everyone charging for their services deserves the money they're getting paid. Because I'd say 75% of them don't.

That said, stay-at-home moms who have etsy shops/shit-websites with terrible photographs are the worst...

No good camera costs $100 haha. I used to be able to charge 3000 dollars for a wedding( which I found fair taking my skill set in to consideration) plus 100 an hr for post processing. The last one I did I got paid maybe half of that.its sort of annoying how most people write off the profession as just "clicking a button."

i think everyones stuff on here is solid.

very solid.

anyone wanting advice google only makes confusing, hit me up.

COB's, actions, what to dodge, burn..etc.

photoshop is my personal hell, haha.  I mean if you can do it in a darkroom you can do it in PS so basic stuff is easy for me. but jeebus...the shit that can be done is intense

yeah they looked good man

i love shooting with a high iso (up your iso)

when i was shooting the bruins for glens class i shot entire hockey game at 6400. he didnt even know until he looked at the metadata on the last frame.

the mk2 is amazing. these were shot at 25,600 ISO. this photo was used in my final review. 

BU_Swim_by_henster311.jpg

everyone shat on portfolio review..... I love it, maybe because i had no problem defending my work of the decisions i made.  I minored in photojournalism and did a video (with a min dv cam converted in to digital, hahahaha) and they fucking loved it. I mean, i look back on the work now and laugh at it but review was a blast for me.  

EDIT: I fucking love that shot.

everyone shat on portfolio review..... I love it, maybe because i had no problem defending my work of the decisions i made.  I minored in photojournalism and did a video (with a min dv cam converted in to digital, hahahaha) and they fucking loved it. I mean, i look back on the work now and laugh at it but review was a blast for me.  

EDIT: I fucking love that shot.

haha i loved portfolio review, it was just cool to hear other teachers comment on my work. ya know teachers i didnt have and never really talked too before. someone failed. it was bad. you work for 2 years. get passing grades and then fail the review. aye. 

but im with ya...its definitely easier to talk about your work when you understand it. i went on about my fine art work and some people didnt get it.

i can hear steve in my head now... what made you shoot this? how does this make you feel? why why why why?

i majored in pj and a minor in fine art-color. they also loved my video. mine was all shot with the mk2 though. haha i woulda been mad if i had to use the mini dv. is your video uploaded anywhere?  they questioned me hard about my video verse my stills. not in a bad way at all, just curious i guess. i do have to say...showing my video was intense haha, it was the longest 4 minutes of my life. in the tiny room to the left of the studio bays on the third floor. all teachers and staff. haha. im glad i have glen on my side though. i look back on my video and shake my head, some editing im just like ew.

thanks dude! glad you like it. i had this printed for the hallway show, still looked good at 25k.

tumblr_mosvohuUrD1qz5z88o1_500.jpg

I consider photography a hobby.  But it's a hobby that I really enjoy and I would love to make a living doing.  Maybe someday right?

My dog acting like he'll eat your face off

8496939983_3d58c068e9_z.jpg

Some cloud work I've been working on

5438133874_48ea0f7f37_z.jpg

Man, I really like those pics! Nice work!

Actually I'm a crappy photographer but I only use the camera when I'm hiking (~every 2 years or so).

So anyone into landscape photography? If so, please post pictures!

Here are 4 of my favorites taken during hiking trips:

7kd3typ4.jpg

Note: I'm not 100% sure that I took the next 2 pictures. We were 3 guys and two of us were taking pictures with the same camera... 

fvzjhlw8.jpg

ed558iwq.jpg

uvuow9jx.jpg

THIS. Working at a camera store was the worst thing for my confidence as someone who went college, put in the time and money to be professionally (and classically) taught "good" photography, only to see these stay at home moms who have nothing better to do but pick up a camera and start selling their services to their friends to the point where they are registered with the state as an LLC and make insane amounts of money with absolutely no talent.

It's the worst feeling.

I totally agree with this and I'm not a photographer. A couple of people I used to work with (you know, the kind that friend you on Facebook just because you work with them) popped up with fauxtography Facebook pages. All their stuff looked like shit. I'll see others pop up too, I can't stand looking at people's terrible portfolios on FB.

I took my sister-in-law's senior photos at the request of my mother-in-law (for free). I had my first DSLR for about a year at that point and I had just gotten semi-comfortable with manual settings. When I was done I thought they were mediocre at best, but their family LOVED them. My wife's aunt even offered to pay me to do her daughter's but I refused. Didn't feel right and I wasn't about to have people start posting that crap up on Facebook with my name on it. Anyway, my mother-in-law was convinced I should start making money doing it, I wanted no part of it. 

There's some really nice stuff in here. Tons of talent on VC. I've always thought photography would be a fun hobby to get in to, but I know next to nothing about cameras. Where would you guys recommend a beginner like me start?

If you're looking for a DSLR, the Canon Rebel line has a great reputation.  Any entry level DSLR will do the job, really.  People always say "which is better, Nikon or Canon?" and it really comes down to preference.  They're both doing the same things as far as technology goes these days, so if you can get to a shop, try out the Rebel series, then try a D5200 or D3200.  If you think those cameras are too small for you to hold comfortably, try a Canon 60D (I'm not sure if the 70D has hit the shelves yet) or a Nikon D7100.

A good idea at this point in the game is possibly checking out a used camera body.  Both the 70D & D7100 are brand new, so I can guarantee you tons of people ditched their Canon 60D or Nikon D7000 to upgrade to one of the newer models.  It's worth a serious consideration.

If you're looking for a DSLR, the Canon Rebel line has a great reputation.  Any entry level DSLR will do the job, really.  People always say "which is better, Nikon or Canon?" and it really comes down to preference.  They're both doing the same things as far as technology goes these days, so if you can get to a shop, try out the Rebel series, then try a D5200 or D3200.  If you think those cameras are too small for you to hold comfortably, try a Canon 60D (I'm not sure if the 70D has hit the shelves yet) or a Nikon D7100.

A good idea at this point in the game is possibly checking out a used camera body.  Both the 70D & D7100 are brand new, so I can guarantee you tons of people ditched their Canon 60D or Nikon D7000 to upgrade to one of the newer models.  It's worth a serious consideration.

Exactly this.

And when you get up into it more, the L series lenses are incomparable.

I guess I should have specified. My mom owns two different models of the Canon Rebel, and I can borrow them at any time. The problem is I just don't know my way around a camera very well. Is there a good rundown somewhere of all the different terms and settings so I can get a little more familiar? 

I guess I should have specified. My mom owns two different models of the Canon Rebel, and I can borrow them at any time. The problem is I just don't know my way around a camera very well. Is there a good rundown somewhere of all the different terms and settings so I can get a little more familiar? 

i mean you can look at websites and learn the basics, but just take one and mess around, trial and error. im sure there are some things i do when i shoot that other photographers would kill me for, but im used to it and it works for me. but knowing how the camera works definitely helps. you have to know the rules before you can break them. 

one thing that i was drilled into my brain in school, were the three things that determine exposure.

-shutter speed

-aperture

-iso

people ask for tips, thats what i tell, and usually show them on their camera so they can see first hand. but this might come in handy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunny_16_rule  

People always say "which is better, Nikon or Canon?" and it really comes down to preference.  They're both doing the same things as far as technology goes these days

just to piggyback on this, i think they typically have different aspect ratios as well. i can't even remember because i don't typically make prints but my rebel is 3:2? and my friend's nikon is 4:3? but i don't know. definitely another factor in choosing a camera, though.

just to piggyback on this, i think they typically have different aspect ratios as well. i can't even remember because i don't typically make prints but my rebel is 3:2? and my friend's nikon is 4:3? but i don't know. definitely another factor in choosing a camera, though.

Canon offers 3 types of sensors, while Nikon offers 2.  So that would explain the ratio difference.  But all of these cameras are so overloaded with megapixels these days, it really wouldn't make a difference if you were to crop either image to fit any ratio.

I recently sent my friend a "cheat sheet" through e-mail that seems to be helping her out a lot.  She just bought that tiny Canon Rebel SL1 camera a few weeks ago.  I could forward that e-mail to you if you'd like.

Exactly this.

And when you get up into it more, the L series lenses are incomparable.

I agree with you there.  When I worked at the shop, all the guys there shot Nikon so they think that the Nanocrystal line of Nikon lenses are superior to the L series.  They would go to great lengths to try to prove to customers how Nikon is better than Canon.  The biggest reasoning being "Canons are too slow" in the fps game.  Which I think is just a way for Nikon to sell more cameras to consumers so they don't have to think about when to take an image.  Just set it to shoot off 10 fps and just pick the best one.  That was always my biggest pet peeve because they are effectively removing any thought process or technique before hitting the shutter.  I mean, I spent all these years in college learning the importance of the Decisive Moment and what it means to read an image before capturing it, and then these companies are making those techniques completely useless.

haha i loved portfolio review, it was just cool to hear other teachers comment on my work. ya know teachers i didnt have and never really talked too before. someone failed. it was bad. you work for 2 years. get passing grades and then fail the review. aye. 

but im with ya...its definitely easier to talk about your work when you understand it. i went on about my fine art work and some people didnt get it.

i can hear steve in my head now... what made you shoot this? how does this make you feel? why why why why?

i majored in pj and a minor in fine art-color. they also loved my video. mine was all shot with the mk2 though. haha i woulda been mad if i had to use the mini dv. is your video uploaded anywhere?  they questioned me hard about my video verse my stills. not in a bad way at all, just curious i guess. i do have to say...showing my video was intense haha, it was the longest 4 minutes of my life. in the tiny room to the left of the studio bays on the third floor. all teachers and staff. haha. im glad i have glen on my side though. i look back on my video and shake my head, some editing im just like ew.

thanks dude! glad you like it. i had this printed for the hallway show, still looked good at 25k.

I had the spirit of Ostrowski in my head last night. I didn't double check my system settings and realized I shot half of my work last night at 6400.....i hated myself for a few hours... still got some good shots but damn, I was pissed at the fact that after the first frame I didn't immediately realize it..