Just pulled the trigger on one of these off amazon this morning. Signed up for prime and am expecting this tomorrow (one day shipping for 3 dollhairs!). It was between this and the Azur 651P and the Rega Fono Mini. Since I have nowhere to audition these I figured if i dont like the pro-ject Ill just return it and try one of the others I had shortlisted.

My question is, anyone of you guys using one of these? And if so, what do you like/dislike about it? Did it make noticable imporvement in your set-up?

• 2 weeks later...

Just pulled the trigger on one of these off amazon this morning. Signed up for prime and am expecting this tomorrow (one day shipping for 3 dollhairs!). It was between this and the Azur 651P and the Rega Fono Mini. Since I have nowhere to audition these I figured if i dont like the pro-ject Ill just return it and try one of the others I had shortlisted.

My question is, anyone of you guys using one of these? And if so, what do you like/dislike about it? Did it make noticable imporvement in your set-up?

What's the word? I have a crappy Behringer Microphono PP400 Phono Preamp and was looking to upgrade to this one, or the bugle 2.

What's the word? I have a crappy Behringer Microphono PP400 Phono Preamp and was looking to upgrade to this one, or the bugle 2.

I've been using it for about a week now and I definitely noticed an improvement in separation and clarity. Also, theres a lot less surface noise and the rumble filter has stopped my speakers from looking like they are having seizures. This is only my first preamp so I dont have much to compare it to but I would recommend to anyone looking for a nice budget preamp that can handle both mm and mc cartridges.

I think I'm done with the under $50 dollar range. I'm thinking maybe something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Bellari-VP130-Preamplifier-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B002TD4GME

I like that it's tube, and the price cant be beat. I guess there are issues with the power supply that it is sent with, but a $20 replacement from radio shack seems to cure that issue. of course you start researching on the internet and theres pros and cons for everything. I feel like my heads going to explode.

haha I am in the same boat as you. I need to stay away from the internet and google sometimes. I feel like I should have bought a few of them at once to compare them next to each other in realtime. But I might pick up the rega fono mini from amazon and compare it to the phono box for the time being.

let me know how that CA is!

Will do! i also looked at the fono mini, but noticed it had a usb output. Not sure how much the added capacitors, etc alter the sound, but thats one of the main reasons people who own the AT LP120, like me,  rip out the pre amp because it is connected to that usb board and just makes the signal 'travel further and dampen the sound' or so I've heard. So I basically wanted to stay away from anything with USB support.

haha I am in the same boat as you. I need to stay away from the internet and google sometimes. I feel like I should have bought a few of them at once to compare them next to each other in realtime. But I might pick up the rega fono mini from amazon and compare it to the phono box for the time being.

let me know how that CA is!

Have had it for 2 hrs now and WOW what a difference. Of course I only have a $20 behringer to compare it to, but it's night and day. So much cleaner sounding, highs and lows are super clear and sounds more powerful, open.and louder. The hisses and pops that were all over the place on my older releases are virtually non existent now. So happy with this purchase.

I definitely want to upgrade my speakers and the turntable eventually, but until then I am going to try a few mods to my turntable that should make the set up sound even better.

Have had it for 2 hrs now and WOW what a difference. Of course I only have a $20 behringer to compare it to, but it's night and day. So much cleaner sounding, highs and lows are super clear and sounds more powerful, open.and louder. The hisses and pops that were all over the place on my older releases are virtually non existent now. So happy with this purchase.

I definitely want to upgrade my speakers and the turntable eventually, but until then I am going to try a few mods to my turntable that should make the set up sound even better.

Thats good to hear, glad you are enjoying your purchase. Im sure if you give it a day or two it will sound even better.

What does your setup consist of atm?

Thats good to hear, glad you are enjoying your purchase. Im sure if you give it a day or two it will sound even better.

What does your setup consist of atm?

Currently an Audio Techinica lp120 which is Not modified at the moment, but should be changed to modified within a few days, Cambridge Audio 551p preamp, marantz sr5003 receiver and Pioneer sp-bs22-lr speakers.

Will start with a mod to the AT and possibly a new upgraded stylus, and sometime within a year upgrade to better speakers and turntable.