Jimmy Eat World cover T. Swift's Never Ever Ever on Conan

Maybe it's because I've never been into this band but I don't get how anyone thinks this is good. From the dumb drum chorus part to the way they completely lose every hook/melody from the original just seems like a bunch of amateurs. This is honestly one of the worst things I've ever heard. Sorry to those who jam it. 

Maybe it's because I've never been into this band but I don't get how anyone thinks this is good. From the dumb drum chorus part to the way they completely lose every hook/melody from the original just seems like a bunch of amateurs. This is honestly one of the worst things I've ever heard. Sorry to those who jam it. 

When these guys cover a tune, they rework it and make it their own.  They're not losing every hook/melody, they're just rearranging the structure.  JEW are phenomenal songwriters and arrangements have existed in music since the beginning of time.  This is just a little bit different because arrangements don't usually cross into pop music.  Guaranteed if you never heard the original you'd dig this.

If you need back up on this, listen to their cover of Firestarter.

Singer: "Hey guys we have a new album out but no one has cared for us since 2001-2002 and we are playing on Conan, should we play a new song or The Middle?"

Guitarist: "Let's play a new song"

Conan: "fuck that, no one cares about either, play something relevant"

Singer: "Is it too late to jump on the cover a bad pop song band wagon?"

Conan: "No one watches my show anymore so who cares!"

Singer: "Hey guys we have a new album out but no one has cared for us since 2001-2002 and we are playing on Conan, should we play a new song or The Middle?"

They played a new song on the air, the cover was a bonus for the audience and used as a web exclusive.

Also, since 2002 JEW sold over 600,000 copies of Futures, and almost 300,000 each of Chase This Light and Invented. Damage hit #14 on the Billboard 200 chart and number 2 on the Alternative albums chart.

Conan also had his contract renewed by TBS through 2015... so somebody is still watching I guess.

Conan was renewed in good faith by TBS and has had dismal ratings since the debut. His ratings have continued to drop since he was renewed as well and far below Daily Show and Cobert Report which is also on cable. Conan now gets less views than what Lopez had when he got axed for low views.

You mean to tell me that the follow up album after a smash hit and every subsequent album since then has lost buys? Of course people are going to check out Futures after Bleed American since that album was so huge, but to go lose over 400K fans in one album is pretty huge, then their next album sold 225K copies in America and its gotten worse with each next album. This isnt a tale of a band that took a while to get their footing and then caught on, maintaining or slowly growing fans with each album, its a tale of a band that was a flash in the pan and is losing fans.

Or we could not completely deconstruct an already acknowledged bad joke just because someone poked fun of your favorite band.

Conan was renewed in good faith by TBS and has had dismal ratings since the debut. His ratings have continued to drop since he was renewed as well and far below Daily Show and Cobert Report which is also on cable. Conan now gets less views than what Lopez had when he got axed for low views.

You mean to tell me that the follow up album after a smash hit and every subsequent album since then has lost buys? Of course people are going to check out Futures after Bleed American since that album was so huge, but to go lose over 400K fans in one album is pretty huge, then their next album sold 225K copies in America and its gotten worse with each next album. This isnt a tale of a band that took a while to get their footing and then caught on, maintaining or slowly growing fans with each album, its a tale of a band that was a flash in the pan and is losing fans.

Or we could not completely deconstruct an already acknowledged bad joke just because someone poked fun of your favorite band.

Just because a band loses sales doesn't mean that they are losing fans. I would contribute some of the loss of sales to downloading and pirating

I've never been much into JEW. They have a few good songs that I have enjoyed. I was thoroughly impressed with how they handle this song. Not my any means as T.Swift fan, but simply by how JEW made it their own. They re-arranged it a bit and put their own touch on it and made it sound different and much better. To me, that's a good cover song.