Burger Records Thread

3ocia0m.jpg

this label has become a minor obsession of mine since moving to California, and with the diverse range of bands they put out, i'm guessing there must be some other interested parties around here. since they seem to be averaging at least 1-2 new releases/pre-orders per week, i thought it might be handy to start a thread to keep track.

6Mqh7mw.jpg

this went on sale today: Tomorrows Tulips "Experimental Jelly" LP (700 black/300 peach)

haven't heard it yet, but i grabbed it just on the strength of their other recent releases. that, and the fact that the colored versions of The Garden LP, The Memories LP, Gap Dream 7" and Summer Twins 7" all sold out on pre-orders.

also, i realize it's not vinyl but Burger also released a Neil Hamburger tape today, limited to 250. the best part: "50 CASSETTES WILL BE RANDOMLY PUT IN TRUCKS STOPS ACROSS THE COUNTRY!!!"

lastly, hello. waving_smiley.gif

this is the first thread i've started here.

Yes! Thanks dude! Much appreciated!

Edit: Weird. Just checked the webstore and they have it. Must've added it recently.

yeah, they seem to find boxes of old stock pretty frequently and things will magically reappear in the store or online. i used to think it was some trickery or there was a method to the madness, but now i'm pretty sure they're just forgetful stoners.

that said, i seem to wind up at the shop at least once every couple weeks, and the guys never mind checking for OOP stuff in the back room, so if anyone wants me to try and grab anything, just hit me up. i'm happy to help.

my buddy that I work with brought me back goodies from a Man or Astro-Man? tour about a month ago including the Audacity LP "Mellow Cruisers" and it fucking rules, I'm familiar with such a small portion of this labels stuff (mainly acts that roll through the venue I work at).  as with Mike (Smailtronic) their Haints tape is awesome and their The Shit tapes as well as Thee Oh Sees, Ty Segal, Hunx & His Punx (played my venue last night, hung out most of the day today), Jacuzzi Boys, Jeff The Brotherhood, King Khan (co-worker is their tour manager), King Tuff, Mikal Cronin, Natural Child, Nobunny, Peach Kelly Pop, Shannon & The Clams....such an awesome roster of bands and releases

Love this label. Wish I had a cassette deck so I could check out a lot more of the bands.

I love how DIY and incredibly gung-ho they are. Lots of great stuff.

Big fan of the King Tuff reissue. Got a Burger shirt in the mail today, too!

Saw The Shine Brothers last week and they were great. One of the bands on my label was opening for them.

Love this label. Wish I had a cassette deck so I could check out a lot more of the bands.

I love how DIY and incredibly gung-ho they are. Lots of great stuff.

Big fan of the King Tuff reissue. Got a Burger shirt in the mail today, too!

Saw The Shine Brothers last week and they were great. One of the bands on my label was opening for them.

The Shine Brothers played the venue I work at last night as well.  they left a display shirt for their merch.....it happened to fit....I am grateful

The stuff from other labels that they put out on cassette includes a decent amount of cool stuff (Tenement, Jaill, Mean Jeans, Diarrhea Planet, obscure 70s power pop) but overall I feel like so much of the laid back stoner/garage pop type stuff they put out is soooo samey and boring. I just can't get into it at all, If I'm in that mood I'd rather just listen to Big Eyes.

Plus they lean pretty heavily on novelty. Cassettes are first and foremost a novelty in 2013, no matter what anyone says, and there are some things they put out that I doubt will ever get played twice. Like that David Liebe Hart workout VHS for example. 

These guys are great. I hangout with them whenever they're in town. If you ever go to a Burger Records Show and they're there with their distro you can get a hell of a deal. I got like 5 tapes and 3 lps for $30 a few months ago. I ended up buying them a beer afterwards so $3.50 x 2 + $30 = Hours of great jams! Definitely check out the store. Ive been there a few times on my travels. If its used product you can talk make them offers.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the Neil Hamburger tape.  I was bummed they don't do digital downloads.  I don't wanna have to buy it again from his band camp, so I guess I probably won't give it a listen.  Oh well, I guess I've been too spoiled by all the digital downloads everyone else throws about.

The tape itself is nice, though.