The Police 'Synchronicity' colored vinyl?

Saw a guy post a copy of his Police 'synchronicity' vinyl yesterday on instagram and while most copies look black as night when you pull the disc out of its sleeve, seems most of the original pressing were actually pressed on an 'invisible' opaque blue / purple vinyl that you would only discover if you held it up against a light? Went to my local used vinyl shop, picked up the first copy I found, held It up to the light. Purple / blue. Purchased for $5. Supposedly there are very rare, red, gold and baby blue copies floating around out there as well. Sorry of this is common knowledge but I had no clue. I thought it was cool...

image-12.jpg

no idea either, am prepared to call bullshit but wikipedia confirms this for first pressings (mine is legit black)

First time I saw the photo I asked the guy if it was a boot. He told me to look it up and I saw same info. The shop I went to today had 3 copies. Two had the bare breast lady on them and those were straight black. the one I picked up was one of the other 35 (?) different covers that were pressed. Not sure of that has anything to do with it, but I've heard from others with the bare breast cover saying theirs was black vinyl as well.

weird.

the funny thing was that when i first held it up, i got nothin'.

then i realized i was holding two records. because my barry manilow greatest hits record somehow ended up in the same sleeve. 

i just bought this at a thrift store last week. mine is translucent brown.

here's the picture of my copy.

http://s.pixogs.com/image/R-4823248-1376758394-6602.jpeg

Not seeing the picture when I click the link. Really wanting to see what the brown looks like.

how do people buy records and not even look at the actual record?

or is this one of those records people own because its cool to own, but never actually listen to it outside of itunes?

apparently they're real dark and look black unless you hold them up to the light. not everyone holds their records up to the light when playing them. ;)

i'll have to check my copy (if i can find it)