Brand new records skipping

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT-LP60-Automatic-Driven-Turntable/dp/B002GYTPAE

I have this guy. I know it's a budget table, but a lot of my brand new and scratchless records have a skip or two throughout the album. I'm wondering if it's something with my needle (which looks a tiny bit crooked to be honest) or the weight of the arm or something... there's no way it can be all my records :(

Can't adjust the needle. 

Could the issue be that I have it resting on the big speaker console box (sorry, don't know the name) which is resting on the floor?

you should always have a turntable on a flat non resonating surface. placing it on a receiver or speaker is a big no no

so my roommate and i tried to do some trial and error with a dime and a penny taping it in various spots

nothing stopped that skip in his brand new record that kept happening at the same spot

maybe it is just the record but i don't want to believe that a bunch of my brand new records skip too because of the record's imperfections. bah.

But those things don't cause skips, scratches do...

And these records are mostly brand new

from someone who packages several thousand records a month... new records have tons of residial dust from the plant, punching of the center hole, sliding into the paper sleeve etc... hell certain special color configs from the gz plant are always covered with this weird dust..

I had the same turntable as you for a little while and I noticed records skipping really badly, especially after a few months of use.  It didn't really seem to happen that much at the beginning but it got to the point where basically every new record I bought would skip.  I tried sliding some postit notes under the legs and placing a spirit level across the top of the table (but not on the platter), I bought a new needle from LP Gear, I tried to make the belt as level all the way across as possible...nothing stopped the skipping (and the new needle just made it worse).  I recently bought the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon and all of the records that were skipping on the LP60 no longer do so.  Even the ones that were really bad on the LP60 (example: Rancid - Let's Go 2x10") are skip-free now. 

I would be willing to bet that it's your TT like everyone said. I played my records on my brother's Ion and almost all the records from smaller record companies skipped, but then on my vintage setup with a quality needle, they didn't. As mentioned before, some of the cheaper to produce records have grooves that aren't as deep as the bigger names. And when you don't have fine tuning abilities over tone arm pressure (weight/counterweight and antiskate, etc), you can't adjust the pressure the needle sits on the record with. 

Interestingly enough, too MUCH pressure can cause similar effects and make records sounds extra crappy. Good luck with the new table, I would bet $100 it isn't the record. 

I (sadly) own the LP60. I just run it through my stereo and it sounds good to me. Never had a problem with skipping thank God except on just one of my records, always in the same spot so I think the record's done :/

I haven't had the money to drop into a quality setup like the ~$400 Project Debut everyone here loves plus a receiver and speakers which seems to be the ideal setup when money is not an option, save for I guess buying some kind of older, vintage setup and putting a brand new, expensive, legendary stylus on it or something. 

People drop so much hate on the LP60 just so they can tell you they had the hundreds to buy a quality set up an did. It's a budget, basic table. Expect your $75 table to act like one. I'm glad I've had almost no problems with mine. I can play records and it makes me happy. Period.

People drop so much hate on the LP60 just so they can tell you they had the hundreds to buy a quality set up an did. It's a budget, basic table. Expect your $75 table to act like one. I'm glad I've had almost no problems with mine. I can play records and it makes me happy. Period.

I'm glad that your LP60 functions well but much of the "hate" generated in this thread was from LP60 owners who were unable to play records and be made happy.  I didn't buy the LP60 with the intention of upgrading it four months later but it kind of forced my hand.   

I (sadly) own the LP60. I just run it through my stereo and it sounds good to me. Never had a problem with skipping thank God except on just one of my records, always in the same spot so I think the record's done :/

I haven't had the money to drop into a quality setup like the ~$400 Project Debut everyone here loves plus a receiver and speakers which seems to be the ideal setup when money is not an option, save for I guess buying some kind of older, vintage setup and putting a brand new, expensive, legendary stylus on it or something. 

I had an AT-LP60 for six months and it served me well for what it was.  I boxed it up and gave it to a very good friend when I was done with it. 

My biggest issue came from going out and spending money on an album like Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, putting on Tonight, Tonight and having it repeatedly skip in the same place.  But I also understood it was a by-product of a basic, entry-level turntable.  I had similar issues with a number of brand new records (Blink-182, Jack White, NOFX, etc) and all of those skipping problems disappeared when I upgraded.  

I'm fairly certain that people don't "hate" on the AT-LP60 so they can talk about what turntable they bought to replace it.  If anything, I'd think people here would be appreciative of the fact that members take time out of their day to assist with other people's problems and provide information on what fixed the issue when they were experiencing it.  The person that started this thread was asking for help and advice.  People (myself included) that had hands-on experience with the exact same issue wrote about what they did to fix it.   I'm not sure why you would surmise something as negative as people having self-serving ulterior motives.

I had an AT-LP60 for six months and it served me well for what it was.  I boxed it up and gave it to a very good friend when I was done with it. 

My biggest issue came from going out and spending money on an album like Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, putting on Tonight, Tonight and having it repeatedly skip in the same place.  But I also understood it was a by-product of a basic, entry-level turntable.  I had similar issues with a number of brand new records (Blink-182, Jack White, NOFX, etc) and all of those skipping problems disappeared when I upgraded.  

I'm fairly certain that people don't "hate" on the AT-LP60 so they can talk about what turntable they bought to replace it.  If anything, I'd think people here would be appreciative of the fact that members take time out of their day to assist with other people's problems and provide information on what fixed the issue when they were experiencing it.  The person that started this thread was asking for help and advice.  People (myself included) that had hands-on experience with the exact same issue wrote about what they did to fix it.   I'm not sure why you would surmise something as negative as people having self-serving ulterior motives.

I hate on the AT-LP60 just so that I can brag about the $290 I spent on a brand new Pro-ject Debut Carbon.

See, just did it ;)