WAXWORKS RECORDS Official Mega-Thread

Besides The Thing, I've held back on any release due to their highly inflated prices that would even make Mondo enthusiasts scoff. I knew after that Warriors box-set that was $125 that these dudes were out to pretty much rape their fans wallets.  And they can't even properly justify the cost of these things. No way, that a patch and a box makes a record $85 more valuable. WW is the new gape artist in town.

5 minutes ago, tetsuodaironman said:

Besides The Thing, I've held back on any release due to their highly inflated prices that would even make Mondo enthusiasts scoff. I knew after that Warriors box-set that was $125 that these dudes were out to pretty much rape their fans wallets.  And they can't even properly justify the cost of these things. No way, that a patch and a box makes a record $85 more valuable. WW is the new gape artist in town.

Yeah they really do make Mondo shine when it comes to pop culture stuff. I mean I rag on them for $40+ records but their customer service is great and never makes you stupid for giving money to them unlike WW or Iam8bit.

35 minutes ago, Vector53 said:

Yeah they really do make Mondo shine when it comes to pop culture stuff. I mean I rag on them for $40+ records but their customer service is great and never makes you stupid for giving money to them unlike WW or Iam8bit.

I mean, that Gremlins record with the badass water/sun effect shit on the jacket was still only $35-40, plus they reduced the price on their shipping and their customer service is the best and they always replace or fix anything ALWAYS. If WW would have pressed the same record, they would have charged $80, due to the "manufacturing costs" of the unique jacket. They really do make me laugh with their pricing justification.

Edited by tetsuodaironman

17 hours ago, tetsuodaironman said:

I mean, that Gremlins record with the badass water/sun effect shit on the jacket was still only $35-40, plus they reduced the price on their shipping and their customer service is the best and they always replace or fix anything ALWAYS. If WW would have pressed the same record, they would have charged $80, due to the "manufacturing costs" of the unique jacket. They really do make me laugh with their pricing justification.

But... Does Mondo Gape?!?! :D

The one thing I'll say in Waxwork's defense (and I am by no means excusing their ridiculous pricing) is that their records are always, always mastered spectacularly. Pressings can still be wonky (see some of the first batch of The Thing), but that happens at the plant. The recording itself (or mastering in their case) is always great. Certainly more consistent than Mondo or DWRC. 

And I wouldn't say Waxwork's customer service is bad, just not as prompt or well organized as Mondo's. But their prices are outrageous and the gimmicks are a real reach for me personally. I wish more Soundtrack labels felt like they could just put out a hi fidelity black vinyl pressing of an album, but it seems they almost all believe that that is simply not a marketable concept.

Does anyone know if the Deluxe version of The Thing was delayed? I got a shipping confirmation for the white but not the deluxe. They were ordered together and I ordered them within 5 minutes of the orders going live, before the tweet even went out. 

Edited by chunkrock

1 minute ago, chunkrock said:

Does anyone know if the Deluxe version of The Thing was delayed? I got a shipping confirmation for the white but not the deluxe. They were ordered together and I ordered them within 5 minutes of the orders going live, before the tweet even went out. 

They've been vague. Weeks ago they tweeted that Deluxe copies began shipping and the rest of the first batch would ship "soon" but just last week they retconned that by casually saying that deluxes will begin shipping in 3 weeks. Who knows. Waxwork'd.

7 minutes ago, lethalenforcer said:

They've been vague. Weeks ago they tweeted that Deluxe copies began shipping and the rest of the first batch would ship "soon" but just last week they retconned that by casually saying that deluxes will begin shipping in 3 weeks. Who knows. Waxwork'd.

Thanks! I wish they'd just waited and shipped them both at the same time since it's going to a PO box and now I'm going to have to pay extra for a second box, oh well. 

This was my first experience ordering from Waxwork, they are a bit too pricey for me normally but since it's The Thing and I love that score I figured I'd treat myself.

21 minutes ago, museummouth said:

Looks like they picked the crappiest of all the artwork that they had previews on. Great. 

Yeah - not really feeling it.  And it looks too much like the artwork for the Mondo 7" release of the reimagining for the original Evil Dead track.   Hopefully the actual vinyl looks better.  

Edited by djghost1976

21 hours ago, chunkrock said:

Thanks! I wish they'd just waited and shipped them both at the same time since it's going to a PO box and now I'm going to have to pay extra for a second box, oh well. 

This was my first experience ordering from Waxwork, they are a bit too pricey for me normally but since it's The Thing and I love that score I figured I'd treat myself.

I emailed them and they told me The Thing deluxe should be shipping in two weeks for anyone that is curious.

• 2 weeks later...

Got shipping for my deluxe too, hasn't left New orleans yet though.

Also I get the hate they're getting for the "rapeing their fan's wallets" but I can attest that those back patches with the warriors are not cheap to make. Go into a leather shop and those have to be hand sewn and then whatever that hodgepodge poxy shit on the back and you'll see they're all at least $50-$75. Also I'm a fan of both companies but if you're gonna bring waxwork down and put Mondo on a pedestal, lets not forget about this.... https://mondotees.com/collections/mondo-music/products/the-iron-giant-soundtrack-2xlp-metal-variant

5 minutes ago, clerk3745 said:

Also I get the hate they're getting for the "rapeing their fan's wallets" but I can attest that those back patches with the warriors are not cheap to make. Go into a leather shop and those have to be hand sewn and then whatever that hodgepodge poxy shit on the back and you'll see they're all at least $50-$75. Also I'm a fan of both companies but if you're gonna bring waxwork down and put Mondo on a pedestal, lets not forget about this.... https://mondotees.com/collections/mondo-music/products/the-iron-giant-soundtrack-2xlp-metal-variant

That Iron Giant was ridiculous but full back patches cost around $5-10 each if made in China. Which they probably were. 

14 minutes ago, clerk3745 said:

Very true. and this @ $225 https://mondotees.com/collections/archive/products/aliens-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-liquid-filled-2xlp

5 minutes ago, museummouth said:

The thing is Mondo's usual pricing is $20-25 for a single LP and $25-35 for a 2xLP standard releases. While waxwork is charging $35+ for singles. 

Thats true, I think WW saw a bigger market for The Thing and Friday the 13th, but all their other single LP releases that I remember have been $27. 

11 minutes ago, museummouth said:

The thing is Mondo's usual pricing is $20-25 for a single LP and $25-35 for a 2xLP standard releases. While waxwork is charging $35+ for singles. 

So don't buy them. You kids trying to ruin a company's reputation because you don't like their prices are annoying as hell.