PO: Cloudkicker - Subsume

Cloudkicker has announced his newest release, titled Subsume, will be released on September 14th, 2013

The digital version of the album can be pre-ordered now from his Bandcamp for $1 or more. However, once the album is released, it will be "name your price" (no minimum) as per usual. The reasoning behind this is that Bandcamp will not allow bands to have pre-orders for less than 51 cents (Ben thought that was a "very odd number" so he set it to a dollar). If you pay the dollar (or more), you will get a remix of one of the albums tracks done by t16 (Ben's brother) that will not be available for purchase after the album is released.

Subsume will not be released on CD. There will be two vinyl variants:

STANDARD (TRANSPARENT RED /???):

tumblr_inline_msf4djqoXt1qz4rgp.jpg

DELUXE (WHITE/TURQUOISE MIX /100):

tumblr_inline_msf4hvngkC1qz4rgp.jpg

In order to prolong the time the deluxe is available, Ben has devised a plan to inflate its price initially ($45 as opposed to the usual $14 price tag of the standard release) and lower the price by $5 each successive Thursday for three weeks or until all 100 are sold. By doing this, he hopes that:

a) it will ensure that "only people that really really want it will buy it"

B) it will "postpone demand temporarily until the next price drop, giving more people more time to buy it"

This plan is not set in stone, however, so if you have any ideas for him, he is welcoming them via email ([email protected]).

Lastly, on a less stressful note, Ben will have two t-shirt designs correlating to Subsume's release:

DESIGN 1:

tumblr_inline_msf4llckI81qz4rgp.jpg

DESIGN 2:

tumblr_inline_msf4lwWG8G1qz4rgp.jpg

He is hoping these will be available September 14th, as well.

For more information, please visit his blog.

I think I'll probably just get the red version then. It'd be cool to get the more limited one, but I'm definitely not spending $45 on it, and I'd rather just get the record than wait a couple of weeks to see if it's still around. Not really a fan of this method of selling a record, but whatever.

I don't really see the purpose of it, other than a "cash grab." I understand his reasoning, I guess, but I disagree with it. Oh well, I'm okay with the regular version.

The price lowering every week is an interesting idea, I wonder what the magic 'price point' is where those will really start to fly.  I'm guessing around $25.00.   I hope these sell either way, Ben constantly puts out great material for free and I don't mind if he gets a paycheck here and there.

The price will only be lowered for three weeks, or until they sell out.  Whichever comes first.  As such, the lowest they'll drop is to $30.00.  Which brings me back to my previous question: what's so special about the packaging and contents of the "deluxe" to warrant a $30+ price tag, compared to $14?

Yeah, that's all I've gathered as well.  Seems kind of dumb.  The whole "this will deter flippers" notion would be plausible if we were talking about a band like Blink-182 or Balance & Composure, where kids will shit bricks over limited variants.  But we're talking about Cloudkicker here.  When's the last time you saw a Cloudkicker record blow up for mad profit on eBay?  Do flippers even know what a Cloudkicker is?

Just ran a Popsike search for kicks.  Zero results.

I passed on the orange Fade variant because he wanted an extra $5 for a limited press that didn't match the album art as well.  I'll probably be sitting out on the deluxe version of this one, too.  I could maybe wait until it drops down to $30, if it'd include some fancy packaging or bonus material.  I have no problem giving Ben my money, but I do want to make sure that it's justified.

Yeah, I agree. If he only wants the people that "really, really want it" to get it, just try to tell those people to watch out for an announcement of it going online, or follow him on twitter and he'll announce it or something like that. Charging more for a record to ensure that the people that want it the most get it just seems like he's punishing his fans, rather than helping them get a rare record. I'm a big fan of his, so I'm not trying to be too negative about him, or say he's a dick because of this, because from everything I've heard, he's not. I'll happily support him by buying the regular version. Just think that's dumb reasoning to make your fans pay more.

That being said, if there is something more deluxe about it, other than just being a more rare color, I'd happily buy one, if it has something "deluxe" about it to justify the price.

But, I guess I should just email him about it, instead of complaining on a message board, since he said he's open to ideas. Anyway, whatever.

Yeah, I was a bit by confused by the "deluxe" title, myself. Paying double to triple the cost of the original record just because it looks cooler isn't really in my budget, so I'll be going with the red transparent unless he changes his mind and sells them both at the same price.

Looks like I have less folks to worry about taking the /100 from me :)

I'm a super fan freak "Ben Sharp can do no wrong" person so I have no prob shelling out a ridiculous price for this thing. Plus like someone said before, he's offered up all of his music for free digitally, does ZERO promotion outside of posting on his blog, and uses all of his money to fund his music. I don't feel like this is a secret cash grab, but even if it was, good for him. He deserves it. He puts out full albums practically every year and if I can help him continue that, I'll happily give him $45 for the limited record.

I've always said if he decides to ever play shows, or even just one show, I'd pay more than $45 to see that.

I'd feel different if the money was going to a label or something, but I know it's all going right to him.

It's also a remixed version of the real version that'll be on the album. Not sure if you noticed. Still good though!

yah, I know, and rarely do I like remixes.I mean one hand rarely.

Ben used to interact a lot on the defunct ATPR site-- hard to believe he works full time (or at least was) and so gives away the music.  I have all his mp3's and really should kick in some more $.  I can't think of a single track I'd skip, but at the same time, I don't go around humming any tracks or riffs either. But it's always a delight to play them- I just start from the beginning and let 'em play-- like right now.

Sorry to say I'm not going to chase the vinyl, just no space, but that means less competition for you guys ;)

• 2 weeks later...