Stoner/ Doom Metal Discussion Thread

I tried searching for a thread for this and could not find one. 

What have you all been listening to?  What are some cant miss bands that we should all know about?  What new releases or lesser known stuff should we know about?

Been listening to the newest Windhand record which I have been digging.  

Neon Warships S/T record has been pretty killer.

Kadavar's new record has awesome jams on it, though not strictly stoner or doom per se.

Locally in Pittsburgh there has been a band that has been buzzing a lot and putting out some great stuff.  You can check out their demo on band camp for free.

http://lostrealms.bandcamp.com/

Great place to start would be the classic Dope rekkids

Dopesick, Dopesmoker, Dopethrone

Windhand is pretty tight. I've been really wantin' me som Ahab on wax lately.. totally forgot about them until recently.

I do have a couple copies of Dopesmoker. What a fantastic album.

Guest Justin Maheiny

I don't think Torche is a stoner or doom band. Maybe they have a riff or two here and there that are but Floor prior to their self-titled album was pretty sludgy.

If you want pretty heavy doom/sludge, current bands Monarch(who has an insane female vocalist), The Body, & Weedeater are all pretty good.

My personal favorite records from past bands that are in this category would be Boris - Amplifier Worship, Iron Monkey's Our Problem, EyeHateGod's Take As Needed For Pain & Burning Witch's Crippled Lucifer. Sleep's Jerusalem is an amazing album, but I don't think it's one you should just jump right into unless you can get super stoned first and have decent headphones.

But "stoner" and "doom" have such a wide meaning. Doom, in the traditional sense, is almost glam sounding bands like Trouble & Solstice, while stoner music is more like Kyuss & Fu Manchu. I like bands of all types in these categories I just prefer the pissed off sludgy sounding shit.

There's basically a shit ton of bands you can listen to that fall into these categories.

I don't think Torche is a stoner or doom band. Maybe they have a riff or two here and there that are but Floor prior to their self-titled album was pretty sludgy.

If you want pretty heavy doom/sludge, current bands are Monarch(who has an insane female vocalist), The Body, & Weedeater are all pretty good.

My personal favorite records from past bands that are in this category would be Boris - Amplifier Worship, Iron Monkey's Our Problem, & EyeHateGod's Take As Needed For Pain. Sleep's Jerusalem is an amazing album, but I don't think it's one you should just jump right into unless you can get super stoned first and have decent headphones.

But "stoner" and "doom" have such a wide meaning. Doom, in the traditional sense, is almost glam sounding bands like Trouble & Solstice, while stoner music is more like Kyuss & Fu Manchu.

There's basically a shit ton of bands you can listen to that fall into these categories.

agreed.  It is a pretty catch all category that can bring alot of possibilities. figure most people might find some stuff,  including myself, they dig by not narrowing the options to discuss. 

Guest Justin Maheiny

Stuff that I've been digging from this year

Doomriders - Grand Blood

Stone Titan - Scratch 'n Sniff (http://stonetitan.bandcamp.com)

Subrosa - More Constant Than the Gods

All highly recommended

Also, Church of Misery - The Kingdom Scum

I think the new SubRosa is their best album yet. I'm guessing you like True Widow then?

Guest Justin Maheiny

If you like the more rockin/groove stoner shit here's some other bands I used to listen too. Sheavy(dude sounds pretty close to Ozzy), Los Natas(Spanish but pretty rockin), Acrimony, Spiritual Beggars, Nebula & one of my favorites of all time MONSTER MAGNETS SPINE OF GOD.

Thanks for making me think of these lol

(edit)

I just listened to Kadavar for the 1st time. You definitely might like some of the bands in this post.

If you like the more rockin/groove stoner shit here's some other bands I used to listen too. Sheavy(dude sounds pretty close to Ozzy), Los Natas(Spanish but pretty rockin), Acrimony, Spiritual Beggars, Nebula & one of my favorites of all time MONSTER MAGNETS SPINE OF GOD.

Thanks for making me think of these lol

(edit)

I just listened to Kadavar for the 1st time. You definitely might like some of the bands in this post.

Yeah nebula and monster magnet are great. Not familiar with those others ill have to check them out. If your liking that kadavar check out graveyard, witchcraft and horrisant if you arent familiar.

Torche is an American band from Miami, Florida, whose sound is often described as stoner metal, or sludge metal.

Granted, that's from Wikipedia, but I'm not the only one who considers them to be a stoner metal band.

My introduction to them was the "In Return" EP, which is loaded with those signature "dun dun dunnnnnnn" riffs. If you listen to "Meanderthal" or "Harmonicraft," those albums are certainly much more pop oriented, but by the time I got around to exploring those records, they were already firmly planted in my mind as a stoner metal band.

I really got into doom/stoner metal in the past year.  Windhand is fucking slaying it right now.  I caught their record release show here in Richmond last week and it was fantastic.  Check it out if you like the riffs of Weedeater and Bongzilla, but more ethereal vocals.  

PS: someone sell me those Weedeater LPs.  And a pink Gateway.

Also, if you dig Graveyard and Kadavar, or the first four Sabbath albums (which should be everyone), get caught up on Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats.