Stoner/ Doom Metal Discussion Thread

Also, any of you Metallica nerds? I recall someone seemed to be. I just bought a super clean original Elektra copy of MoP and was curious as to how the sound quality stacks up against other versions. For $35 I hope I didn't buy a lackluster pressing.

Reasonable price for that. Maybe even slightly better than reasonable. :)

I myself am holding out for a sub $30 of that pressing, the only one I've heard people say is better is the Megaforce pressing, and that seems to be a matter of preference for most people, some like Elektra, some Megaforce.

Those Megaforce ones go for wayyyy more though, as they're harder to come across.

But yeah, TL;DR - I'll only buy Elektra presses of the first 3 Metallica records unless I come across a cheap Megaforce.

we use queer as a means to describe our music because we are apart of the queer community, and the subject matter of the songs pertains to the issues associated with growing up as a queer / trans person. 

while queer was used as a slur in the 70s-80s, it has almost wholly been reclaimed as a positive term meant to describe sexuality. gay and lesbian largely define as "man attracted to a man" and "woman attracted to a woman", queer encompasses attraction to all genders, including gender-neutral, agendered, and trans persons. 

mostly, we are a doom band with a political sentiment and a healthy love for thou, mouth of the architect, and a plethora of others. we want to be inclusive of everyone, but find it important to be up front about our political / personal sentiments.

hope that cleared any confusion up for you, and mostly, hope you enjoy the tunes! 

Reasonable price for that. Maybe even slightly better than reasonable. :)

I myself am holding out for a sub $30 of that pressing, the only one I've heard people say is better is the Megaforce pressing, and that seems to be a matter of preference for most people, some like Elektra, some Megaforce.

Those Megaforce ones go for wayyyy more though, as they're harder to come across.

But yeah, TL;DR - I'll only buy Elektra presses of the first 3 Metallica records unless I come across a cheap Megaforce.

Awesome, thanks for the reassurance. Im hoping to actually spin it tonight, but good to know it's one of the preferred pressings. It's in near mint shape despite the age, so I'm cool with spending a few dollars more than the going rate.

Bought it with Van Halen and Willie Nelson, so I too always get a variety. I try to buy a new Willie album every visit.

Awesome, thanks for the reassurance. Im hoping to actually spin it tonight, but good to know it's one of the preferred pressings. It's in near mint shape despite the age, so I'm cool with spending a few dollars more than the going rate.

Bought it with Van Halen and Willie Nelson, so I too always get a variety. I try to buy a new Willie album every visit.

If it's near mint you did very well, actually :)

There were more than 3 Metallica records?  :D

Touche, sir. Touche. I'd argue that ...And Justice For All has it's moments, though!

i like load. they have 5. first 4 and load.

I'd even throw the black album in there, it's fine. S&M is pretty enjoyable too, though it's a live album.

All this aside, I'll probably only ever own the first four. Got a good deal on Ride the Lightning the other day. Got Kill 'Em All and ...And Justice For All with Iron Maiden - Powerslave for $20 total years ago...So I just need an MoP for a decent price and I'm done!

Yeah I saw that prime deal and got excited this morning, but it was out of stock. Next cheapest one was like $37 bucks.

Huh. Weirddddddd.

Probably worth just getting the prime one, if it gets another pressing or they get some in they'll send it and won't charge until they do.

I'd even throw the black album in there, it's fine. S&M is pretty enjoyable too, though it's a live album.

All this aside, I'll probably only ever own the first four. Got a good deal on Ride the Lightning the other day. Got Kill 'Em All and ...And Justice For All with Iron Maiden - Powerslave for $20 total years ago...So I just need an MoP for a decent price and I'm done!

I like all of their albums really, minus St Anger and Death Magnetic.  Yes, they changed.  I get it.  They aren't the same band as they were when they were pissed off, young, and moneyless.  Load and ReLoad were good in their own rite.  Had some new band that wasn't Metallica put out those songs Im sure people would have gobbled them up.  Fix the drum sound on St Anger and it makes 3 songs listenable.  Death Magnetic I liked upon first listen, but it got stale really really fast.  ...I used to massively collect Metallica when I was younger.  Even had some of my art show up on a couple of bootlegs that were put out by other collectors.  I can't remember the last time I picked up a Met album though.  I sold off my collection to buy records I actually wanted to listen to.  I realized nobody needs 150 Metallica bootlegs or 20 copies of Ride The Lightning.

In doom related news, really bummed that Earache pushed back the Sleep FDR releases.  Im willing to bet it has to do with pressing plants being busy for RSD.