Stoner/ Doom Metal Discussion Thread

1 minute ago, QUA1L said:

I have the OBI version under a bunch of heavy books, I'll look at it again come September and see if it's flattened out.  hahaha. 

I've been pleasantly surprised at how well this works. I'll typically sandwich the LP between two pieces of glass and then stack books.

A few days to a few weeks is often enough to get you playing again.

2 minutes ago, Metal Mike said:

I've been pleasantly surprised at how well this works. I'll typically sandwich the LP between two pieces of glass and then stack books.

Yup.  I ordered Black Tusk's latest from Relapse.  First copy arrived severely warped.  Sent me a replacement, arrived broken.  Third replacement was also really warped.  Just said fuck it and did the LP sandwiched under books.  After a month it was still slightly warped, but at least listenable.  Figured with the Goya being pretty thick wax, I'd leave it for quite a while.  I have the distro version if I feel the need to spin in the mean time. 

3 hours ago, JoshuaNilk said:

Anyone have experience with receiving replacements for damaged items from STB? From what I've gathered, Steve does not seem too keen on that idea and unfortunately the Sinister Haze landed into my lap with a bad scratch on the first track on side B.

He's always been good to me. He doesn't like to do it for minor stuff, but he's an understanding dude.

1 hour ago, QUA1L said:

It's pretty "meh".  My OBI Goya Obelisk arrived warped.  Unlistenably warped...  although he replaced it for me, it was with the distro version which was like $10 or $15 less than the one I bought.  I've flip flopped around on being upset about it.  I just decided to take what he offered and not make a stink about it.  Really wish he'd save a few copies of each version back like virtually every other label does just for that exact reason.  I have the OBI version under a bunch of heavy books, I'll look at it again come September and see if it's flattened out. 

I know he used to keep some back for this kind of stuff, but people were taking huge advantage of it, getting two copies for the price of one and then flipping one of them :/

I'll always be in Steve's corner after he sent me one of his personal copies of the original AW obi after he made a mistake and sent me the wrong thing.

3 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

He's always been good to me. He doesn't like to do it for minor stuff, but he's an understanding dude.

I know he used to keep some back for this kind of stuff, but people were taking huge advantage of it, getting two copies for the price of one and then flipping one of them :/

I'll always be in Steve's corner after he sent me one of his personal copies of the original AW obi after he made a mistake and sent me the wrong thing.

Simple solution is what Pearl Jam did. Just have people send you a pic of their defective record smashed. Then send them the replacement. It would be pretty messed up if he did not replace a scratched record.

3 minutes ago, lexicondevil said:

Simple solution is what Pearl Jam did. Just have people send you a pic of their defective record smashed. Then send them the replacement. It would be pretty messed up if he did not replace a scratched record.

Yeah, I'm thinking he definitely will

14 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Yeah, I'm thinking he definitely will

Yeah, his first reponsse was that couldn't be held responsible for postal damage which echoes that very disclaimer that is on his site. There must've been a sctratch prior to shipping though as the package was in good shape and I don't see any possible way for it to scratch other than it either eing straight out of the factory or during packing, both of which are highly unlikely possibilites.

I'm just highly bummed because I paid as much for the shipping as I did for the record. One of the only few stoner abums I've bought lately and one of my favourites at that.

*Scratch that. Got word that he is sending me a new one. Feeling very thankful for that.

Edited by JoshuaNilk

21 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

I sent him a picture of how truly fucked the LP was.  Even he was shocked at how warped the C/D LP was (A/B was perfectly fine).  Just bummed that I shelled out $50 for a record I couldn't play and got a lesser replacement.  In the end, I got a replacement, so I shouldn't be too upset, but still...just bummed.  He tried to make it up by throwing in an STB 45 adapter.  So, there is a plus I suppose.  He was definitely nice about the whole thing, so don't think he was rude or anything.  I think he does genuinely care, and some people are cunts and try to take advantage.  Still, all he has to do is ask for a photo to keep people from getting shit they don't deserve. Save a few copies of each version, wait a month to make sure nothing comes up, then release those extra copies if everything arrives to people just fine.  That's what Ripple does.  That's what a lot of labels do. 

Edited by QUA1L

3 hours ago, monsterrod said:

Arctic S/T up at Outer Battery. They've got a nice looking /300 variant in stock. 

http://www.outerbatteryrecords.com/collections/frontpage/products/arctic-arctic

Maybe my search skills are bad, but I can't find any samples of their music. With a generic band name they probably should have named the album something unique, so people could find it. Record looks cool.

1 minute ago, lexicondevil said:

Maybe my search skills are bad, but I can't find any samples of their music. With a generic band name they probably should have named the album something unique, so people could find it. Record looks cool.

Yeah, I just went through the same thing before finally finding some live footage on youtube:

2 minutes ago, Mars said:

Yeah, I just went through the same thing before finally finding some live footage on youtube:

Funny, I just found it by going through the Outer Battery FB page. I'm surprised this is even playing with the stupid Youtube filter I have at work. Sounding interesting...

On 5/26/2016 at 9:40 AM, Metal Mike said:

so how do you go about this?  you keep the inner sleeve on the lp and put between the glass?  i just received an annihilator album that is warped and would like to try this.  i'm wondering if i putting it outside in the heat will help too???

17 minutes ago, aviolentworld said:

so how do you go about this?  you keep the inner sleeve on the lp and put between the glass?  i just received an annihilator album that is warped and would like to try this.  i'm wondering if i putting it outside in the heat will help too???

So this isn't scientific, just something that I've had luck with in the past.

I have two pieces of maybe 16"x16" pieces of glass that were a coffee table top.

I take the LP out of the sleeve and carefully sandwich it between them.

Then I stack cookbooks on the whole thing and try to spread the weight evenly.

I leave it like that for a few days and check it and give it more time if need be.

I used to do it and put it out in the sun with no weight. I can't remember why I stopped. Maybe because in FL I was worried about softening it too much and making things worse.

But I've used the book method many times and in every case it's made a warp that threw the needle turn into something that's playable.

Doesn't get it 100% flat, but flat enough to get the job done.

YMMV!

1 minute ago, lexicondevil said:

Was it just special because of the postage deal? I didn't understand what they were saying in the original listing.

Yeah, for anyone EU side that was an absolute steal. Overseas shipping frustrates me because it usually necessitates paying double for a single record.

1 minute ago, JoshuaNilk said:

Yeah, for anyone EU side that was an absolute steal. Overseas shipping frustrates me because it usually necessitates paying double for a single record.

Yeah, that sucks. I also hate ordering from overseas because of postage costs and many times when I order records from Europe they are poorly packed. It does seem to be getting better. Rise Above definitely packs records for safety. I wonder if Roadburn will get some of them, so the postage is cheaper for you?