Stoner/ Doom Metal Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, elsanto said:

So have to ask...do you prefer Impulse Coltrane or Atlantic?  I always lean toward Impulse stuff, especially A Love Supreme.

I celebrate his entire catalogue! ;)

I lean a little bit toward Atlantic because Giant Steps was the first Coltrane I ever heard, so it has a special place for me.

I was was listening to "Plays the Blues" yesterday though.

52 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Anyone excited for this Witchskull drop tomorrow, or nah? I'm thinking I'm not, but I'm checking it out again right now to be sure.

edit: Yup, the vocals kill it for me. Can't get into it.

Those vocals really had me scratching my head.

30 minutes ago, lexicondevil said:

Those vocals really had me scratching my head.

When I was listening to them I at first thought, oh, it's someone trying to sound British. Then I realized they're from Australia and it made a little more sense.

They (the vocals at least) come off as more 70's-80's rock influenced than anything to me which is...not my favorite.

4 minutes ago, elsanto said:

I almost feel guilty but I just have not been that excited about the STB releases recently.  The vocals on Witchskull are hard to take.  Prices do seem higher too. 

Why would you feel guilty? Even the artwork on most their recent releases is laughable. It's the same thing with Riding Easy. It's like they receive a modicum of success and then get lazy. I'd much rather see 2 quality releases a year from a label than 12 mediocre ones. It's not like there isn't enough of these types of bands already that every single one needs to be signed & put out a record. Music isn't the Special Olympics. Every band doesn't need to be treated like a winner.

14 minutes ago, 74R said:

Why would you feel guilty? Even the artwork on most their recent releases is laughable. It's the same thing with Riding Easy. It's like they receive a modicum of success and then get lazy. I'd much rather see 2 quality releases a year from a label than 12 mediocre ones. It's not like there isn't enough of these types of bands already that every single one needs to be signed & put out a record. Music isn't the Special Olympics. Every band doesn't need to be treated like a winner.

tumblr_mtzmeqC16Z1qcga5ro1_500.gif

Its nice he is repressing stuff but it seems he is repressing things people dont really want (another repress of the new doctor doom record) or things that were supposed to be limited then got a repress (the ancient warlocks live record). 

maybe repress some of the really back catalogue stuff like brimestone coven or dopethrone would be smarter...

1 hour ago, 74R said:

I do have to say I actually really enjoyed the new Salem's Pot record though. It's very much a psych record, but it's still solid. (Though again, the artwork...yuck.)

I agree with everything said here though. At least it's given me some time to pick up some other stuff that I've been holding off on for a while.

2 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

I do have to say I actually really enjoyed the new Salem's Pot record though. It's very much a psych record, but it's still solid. (Though again, the artwork...yuck.)

I agree with everything said here though. At least it's given me some time to pick up some other stuff that I've been holding off on for a while.

Since you endorsed it I'll have to check out that new Salem's Pot record now. The album artwork made my dick softer than baby food.

I don't think the prices for STB have gone up a ton, as they were always on the high side. I looked back at some of my receipts and the Curse the Son obi was 26.99, so up a buck. My diehard Geezer was $40. The inched up prices could just be due to increasing costs. I think it's more that the music quality has gone way down. Also, a diehard that comes with a tape is completely unappealing to someone who currently does not own a tape player. With the rising prices of MANY records I think more of us are just buying less. These days it's exciting to find limited records that are still around $15.