Stoner/ Doom Metal Discussion Thread

3 hours ago, lexicondevil said:

That lineup is insane and a shift in musical focus. I want to know how they plopped Mulatu Astatke in the middle of all these bands. I didn't even know he was still alive.

Insane indeed.  Thanks for the mention by the way ! Really digging this a lot.

Edited by JoshuaNilk

Emailed the dude at The Co. KC about not getting any shipping info etc. about Keef Mountain and he's sending out my package tomorrow. Not sure what the hold up was, but I think I may have slipped through the cracks since a week ago folks were posting pics of the record on instagram.

5 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Emailed the dude at The Co. KC about not getting any shipping info etc. about Keef Mountain and he's sending out my package tomorrow. Not sure what the hold up was, but I think I may have slipped through the cracks since a week ago folks were posting pics of the record on instagram.

I hope they end up shipping the Curse the Son record on time. I keep thinking that I'm going to forget that I ordered that. Strange that the clear with the tape isn't sold out. Kinda bummed I have to hang onto a tape now, since it's part of the package.

24 minutes ago, lexicondevil said:

I hope they end up shipping the Curse the Son record on time. I keep thinking that I'm going to forget that I ordered that. Strange that the clear with the tape isn't sold out. Kinda bummed I have to hang onto a tape now, since it's part of the package.

I went for the green one on Keef Mtn...I couldn't see paying for a tape I didn't care about :/ passed on CtS for the time being because I wasn't crazy about the first song I heard.

1 hour ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Note to self...Send polite email regarding this tomorrow.

I guess it was a pretty good year. My picks for best metal of the year, in no particular order:

1. Beastmaker

2. Neurosis

3. Black Tomb (no vinyl yet)

4. Khemmis

5. The Well

6. Ortega

7.  Conan

8.  Witchthroat Serpent

9. Slomatics

10.  Dopethrone (not on vinyl yet)

Edited by lexicondevil

• 2 weeks later...
On 1.1.2017 at 7:32 AM, lexicondevil said:

My last VC post of 2016 should be in this thread. I'm looking forward to that Toke record. Text Wizards! 

Everyone have a good night and hopefully a 2017 filled with doom music rather than doomed U.S.A.

You realize that the pre-orders go up for the first record, right?

Starting to find the weed-worshipping genre to be way over-saturated and some of it just seems redundant. /saltybastard

I probably just need to hear something exceptional that pushes boundaries, which I can't recall a stoner album having done for a long while now. Might just be that I'm over the whole genre.

Edited by JoshuaNilk

8 minutes ago, JoshuaNilk said:

Starting to find the weed-worshipping genre to be way over-saturated and some of it just seems redundant. /saltybastard

I probably just need to hear something exceptional that pushes boundaries, which I can't recall a stoner album having done for a long while now. Might just be that I'm over the whole genre.

Nah, I'm with you. It's a bummer too because I loved that shit. That said, I am actually enjoying Toke well enough. I may not snag a copy on vinyl, but I"ll listen for a while.

2 hours ago, JoshuaNilk said:

I think the PO for Toke goes up tomorrow? Yeah, same thing happened to me with instrumental post-rock. It got really boring for me because it just started to sound like each band was cannibalizing the other bands. Same could probably be said for stoner/doom, but I'm still digging it most of the time. I hope Sleep actually releases a new album this year.

13 minutes ago, lexicondevil said:

I think the PO for Toke goes up tomorrow? Yeah, same thing happened to me with instrumental post-rock. It got really boring for me because it just started to sound like each band was cannibalizing the other bands. Same could probably be said for stoner/doom, but I'm still digging it most of the time. I hope Sleep actually releases a new album this year.

100% yes. I want to see them live again this year too.

16 hours ago, lexicondevil said:

Please send out a text message whoever sees the preorder pop up. Is the record being sold on their big cartel website?

http://tokedoom.bigcartel.com/

3 hours ago, whoshotthefrog said:

Please send out a text message whoever sees the preorder pop up. Is the record being sold on their big cartel website?

http://tokedoom.bigcartel.com/

I think it is going up on Opoponax( I don't know how the frick to spell it). It's next Wednesday, not today. There is some limited to 20 hand pour looking variant that should be a joy to try and procure.

This Toke thing looks cool...thanks wizards...from the Opoponax FB page (posted Jan 2)

OPR009 - TOKE 12"
Standard Edition
Granddaddy Purple Edition
Smoke Edition
Wax Mage Records XXX Variant
On sale Wednesday, January 11 at 12 noon Arizona time. Site updated with prices, etc. later this week! opoponax.bigcartel.com

On 3.1.2017 at 10:07 PM, lexicondevil said:

Yes and yes. My sentiments exactly.

Going off what happened after the post-rock chalice tipped, it seems a shift in genre-focus is in order again then, soon.

Speaking of post-rock and chalice...Grails' new album should bring something new to the table at least.

Also, new Dopelord. Which doesn't really push any boundaries either but it does veer close to Steve Brooks territory on the vocals which was kind of neat for a second or few.

Hey wizards! I've been avoiding the forum because I was too broke to buy records and didn't need the temptation, and the mobile app sucks. Got a part time job at a new local brewery (Triple Crossing in Fulton for you RVA folks) and disposable income is a thing again, so I'm back!  What are you kids into now?